x

How to add item sku to item grid label instead of abbreviation of item name?

I imported all our products and when I look at the item grid, it decided to label the item with the first two characters of the item instead of the SKU. I don't want a picture, I'd like the SKU. How do I import the spreadsheet such that it sets the label up as desired and not the first two characters of the item description? I can do it manually, but we have too many items.

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Square Champion

@CYA I would recommend a little different work around.  I would categorize your items a little more and use category buttons on your item grid.  When you put a category button on an item grid it brings up a nice list of all the items.  The item grid/favorites is really meant for quick access for popular items.  I like this approach better in the point of sale app.

Screenshot_2023.09.06_12.45.29.033.pngScreenshot_2023.09.06_12.45.45.882.pngScreenshot_2023.09.06_12.45.51.232.png

Donnie
Multi-Unit Manager
Order Up Cafe/Tombras Cafe/Riverview Cafe/City County Cafe
Roddy Vending Company, Inc.
www.OrderUpCafe.com

Using Square since July, 2017
Square Champion
Breaker of Things

"Good judgment comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgment."

"You can have everything in life you want, if you will just help other people get what they want." Z.Z.
Do you want to have great restaurant menus that are easy to edit and don't cost a fortune? I use MustHaveMenus and you can too!
MustHaveMenus
Message 2 of 6

We have categories.  Within each category are items.  We may have one item that starts with "BL" or we may have 300, and they may be one category or several. So the two characters are completely meaningless except to take up screen space. Each SKU, however, is unique.  I would rather display the uniqueness.  If we had started with SQUARE it might be different but we are coming from another POS and relabeling and re-entering everything is too big a job. So each different UPC has its own SKU. Every item has both a UPC and a SKU, name and description. 

Message 3 of 6
Square Champion

@CYA I think I understand what you are saying, if you look at the screen shots, when you bring up the category, you get a full list with the full unique name.  The favorites screen is limited to begin with and if you have 300 plus items they would never fit even if you redid those.  You need drill down sort of organization system where you can go from broad to narrow.  Otherwise your best bet is to use the library where all your items are and "search" to quickly find the items.

Donnie
Multi-Unit Manager
www.OrderUpCafe.com

Square Champion
Breaker of Things

"You can have everything in life you want, if you will just help other people get what they want." Z.Z.
Do you want to have great restaurant menus that are easy to edit and don't cost a fortune? I use MustHaveMenus and you can too!
MustHaveMenus
Message 4 of 6

I look up by SKU, so I don't use the item grid at all.  It is just ugly to see all those "BL" or "BR" or whatever, when they could be useful. I would rather not have the item grid, it is a waste of screen space for my purposes. I type much faster than I visually search, and I have a barcode reader if I feel lazy.  🙂 I have about 2000 different products, and visually scrolling through them would be counterproductive.

Message 5 of 6
Square Champion

Ahh, now I see said the blind man.  Ok, makes much more sense to me now.

I have a little bit of an unorthadox suggestion:  Try downloading the restaurants version of the point of sale app.  In the dashboard you can create a very custom menu layout without any graphics but using full names.  You can actually create very deep pages and sub pages and really customize the layout.  It functions the same as the pos app, but sometimes the naming scheme may be slightly different.  But I would give that a little whirl and see what you can do with that.

Donnie
Multi-Unit Manager
www.OrderUpCafe.com

Square Champion
Breaker of Things

MustHaveMenus
Message 6 of 6