x
Admin

Vote on the Book Club book for July & August 2024 ๐Ÿ—ณ๏ธ๐Ÿ“˜

Hey Square Readers,

**VOTING HAS ENDED**

Itโ€™s voting time!

giphy

Itโ€™s that time again! Our Square Readers Book Club is halfway through reading The E-Myth Revisited by Michael E. Gerber, so jump into some of our discussion threads and let us know your thoughts. 

So now weโ€™ll start voting for our next book for July & August 2024. We have 3 books to choose from, and weโ€™d love for you to vote to help us decide! 

This month we're choosing between Personal Growth, Business Growth, and Business Skills books; all recommended by sellers like you! The voting was really close last time, so I brought back the other two that didnโ€™t win to give them another chance.

1. The Mountain is You by Brianna Wiest

โ€œThis book is about self-sabotage. Why we do it, when we do it, and how to stop doing itโ€”for good. Coexisting but conflicting needs create self-sabotaging behaviors. This is why we resist efforts to change, often until they feel completely futile. But by extracting crucial insight from our most damaging habits, building emotional intelligence by better understanding our brains and bodies, releasing past experiences, and learning to act as our highest potential future selves, we can step out of our own way and into our potential. To scale our mountains, we actually have to do the deep internal work of excavating trauma, building resilience, and adjusting how we show up for the climb.โ€

2. Competing Against Luck by Clayton M. Christensen

โ€œHow do companies know how to grow? How can they create products that they are sure customers want to buy? Can innovation be more than a game of hit and miss? Customers donโ€™t buy products or services; they "hire" them to do a job. The "Jobs to Be Done" approach can be seen in some of the worldโ€™s most respected companies and fast-growing startups, including Amazon, Intuit, Uber, Airbnb, and Chobani yogurt, to name just a few. By understanding what causes customers to "hire" a product or service, any business can improve its innovation track record, creating products that customers not only want to hire, but that theyโ€™ll pay premium prices to bring into their lives.โ€

3. Twelve and a Half by Gary Vaynerchuck 

โ€œGary Vaynerchuk explores the twelve essential emotional skills that are integral to his life and business success, and provides critical tools to acquire and develop these traits. Gary provides real-life examples involving common business scenarios to show you how to use them to land promotions, retain core employees, move faster than competitors, win the loyalty of customers, and build successful organizations that last.โ€

Which of these do you most want to read next?

Weโ€™re voting by survey so feel free to tell us why youโ€™re excited about a particular book in the comments below. And if you have suggestions for other books youโ€™d want to read, drop them in the comments too and weโ€™ll take a look and consider them for the next round. 

Weโ€™ll announce the winning book on Monday, June 17th, and start reading it in July. 

We canโ€™t wait to read with you!

Pesso

**VOTING HAS ENDED**

๏œ๏ธ Aylon Pesso, he/him
Small Business Evangelist, Square

Join the Square Readers Book Club
Watch the Let's Talk Business Interviews
Message 1 of 11
1 Best Answer
Admin

Best Answer

Hey Square Readers,

You voted and chose The Mountain is You by Brianna Wiest as our book for June and July!

Pesso_0-1718632843605.png

Head over to the announcement post, pick up your copy, and get ready to start reading on Monday July 1st. 

We canโ€™t wait to read with you,

Pesso

View Best Answer >

Message 9 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Admin

I've never been a huge Gary V fan. I think the constant hustle culture can be really damaging to small business owners' mental health when there's already that mentality of putting in everything you can into your business, and a big message of mine is to take back some of your time and set boundaries. Having said that, Twelve and a Half actually looks really interesting and appealing to me! It seems to focus on building emotional skills to become a better business owner, for yourself and your business. So I'm rooting for that one!

Message 2 of 11
Square Champion

Perspective is so so so interesting. I don't think Gary is about hustle culture at ALL! I think he's about knowing yourself and self awareness. I've learned a lot about. myself from listening to him.. I think if you don't "dig in" with him, you'll think he's about hustle... HE'S a hustler because he LOVES it... I hustle because I genuinely LOVE what I do and the minutia of it... but It's critical to have these honest conversations with yourself. 

12 1/2 is a GREAT book.. if you have a team it's a GREAT read... I most recently bought his book day trading attention which I've yet to read but cannot wait for a pool day to do so.

Dina
Co-Owner Amityville Apothecary
www.shopamityvilleapothecary.com
Instagram | TikTok @AmityvilleApothecary

Podcast: Apothecary After Dark (YouTube & Spotify)
Message 3 of 11
Admin

Oooh, that is so interesting, @DinaLRosenberg -- thank you for sharing your perspective! I would love to be wrong here, and so glad that you shared more of what you know about him and his work!

In fairness, I watched a bunch of his videos from a single period in time, so I could definitely see that maybe that series was more hustle focused and the rest of his stuff. I could have definitely mistook his discussions of his own hustling to be flat recommendations. 

Would you want to share some of the top things from him? Whether it's your favorite books, videos, articles, or anything else?

Oooh, definitely let us know how that book is, and I might add it to our list and future votes! 

Thanks again for sharing as always!

Message 4 of 11
Square Champion

I have read 12 1/2 and I've implemented his tips around "kind candor" daily.

He really talks a lot about over priced and under priced creative- I'm about whatever he says because I've implemented it and it's reaped results.

right now he's heavy into live-streaming as an every day thing... we try and do this as much as we can

Dina
Co-Owner Amityville Apothecary
www.shopamityvilleapothecary.com
Instagram | TikTok @AmityvilleApothecary

Podcast: Apothecary After Dark (YouTube & Spotify)
Message 5 of 11
Admin

Thanks for those insights, @DinaLRosenberg ! I'll definitely have to give his stuff another look-

Message 6 of 11

I'm still voting for The Mountain is You!

Co-Owner/Business Manager
Arctic Heat
R&C Property Management
Event Planner/Business Trainer
Member - Women in HVACR
Member - Women's Leadership Network, Helena
Message 7 of 11
Admin

I love it, @CareyJo ! It's in the lead so far, and definitely excited to see if it wins and get to read any of them!

Message 8 of 11
Admin

Best Answer

Hey Square Readers,

You voted and chose The Mountain is You by Brianna Wiest as our book for June and July!

Pesso_0-1718632843605.png

Head over to the announcement post, pick up your copy, and get ready to start reading on Monday July 1st. 

We canโ€™t wait to read with you,

Pesso

Message 9 of 11

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!! ๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ˜Š

Co-Owner/Business Manager
Arctic Heat
R&C Property Management
Event Planner/Business Trainer