x
Admin

The E-Myth: Roles and Phases of Businesses

Hey Square Readers, 

We hope you’ve started to dive into reading The E-Myth Revisited by Michael E. Gerber!

The author breaks down the book into three main sections that we’ll tackle throughout our discussion threads: 

1. The E-Myth and American Small Business
  2. The Turn-Key Revolution 
  3. Building a Small Business that Works

Last week we covered what the E-Myth is and the author’s view of how it can lead to businesses failing. In this thread, we’ll keep our focus on Section 1 to look at more of the basics of the E-Myth theory and framework, and what tends to go wrong in small businesses.

giphy

Three Business Roles

The author explains that it takes three main roles to run a business, the Entrepreneur, the Manager, and the Technician. These can all be parts of a single person, or roles played by separate people, but the key to a successful business is that they are all in balance and each given room and space to take charge. When they’re not balanced, and some are ignored or not focused on, the business won’t be able to operate and grow in the way that it needs to, and it is bound to fail in one way or another. 

The author explains these roles as, “The Entrepreneur is the visionary in us. The dreamer. The energy behind every human activity. The imagination that sparks the fire of the future. The catalyst for change… The Managerial personality is pragmatic. Without The Manager there would be no planning, no order, no predictability… The Technician is the doer. The Technician loves to tinker. Things aren’t supposed to be dreamed about, they’re supposed to be done.”

He goes on to explain the benefits of managing to balance them, “If they were equally balanced… the Entrepreneur would be free to forge ahead into new areas of interest; The Manager would be solidifying the base of operations; and The Technician would be doing the technical work… Unfortunately, our experience shows us that few people who go into business are blessed with such a balance. Instead, the typical small business owner is only 10 percent Entrepreneur, 20 percent Manager, and 70 percent Technician.”

Three Phases of Business Growth

The author says that there are three phases of a business’s growth: Infancy, Adolescence, and Maturity, each corresponding with the three roles. This model gives insight into the problems that lead to so many businesses not surviving, and can help ensure that yours does. At the end of each of these phases, a business could either grow and move on to the next phase, or it can close down. When he says Growth here, he means the natural growth of the business, based on demand and the success of your business. 

Phase 1: Infancy – Technician 

The author explains that a lot of businesses start out with the Technician running the show, following the dream of getting out of the grind and working for yourself. Business owners tend to open a business and start doing the work, being their own boss, but not fully jumping into all of the management and visionary responsibilities involved in running and growing a business. Or doing it all, and not doing it well, and then things start to fall apart. 

The author writes, “And so you work. Ten, twelve, fourteen hours a day. Seven days a week. Even when you’re at home, you’re at work… But now you’re doing not only the work you know how to do but the work you don’t know how to do as well. You’re not only making it but you’re also buying it, selling it, and shipping it… You’re falling behind. There’s more work to do than you can possibly get done… Your enthusiasm for working with the customers wanes. Deliveries, once early, are now late. The product begins to show the wear and tear. Nothing seems to work the way it did at first… In a flash, you realize that your business has become The Boss you thought you left behind… Infancy ends when the owner realizes that the business cannot continue to run the way it has been; that, in order for it to survive, it will have to change. When that happens—when the reality sinks in—most business failures occur. When that happens, most of The Technicians lock their doors behind them and walk away. The rest go on to Adolescence… to build a small business that actually works, your Entrepreneur needs to be coaxed out, nourished, and given the room she needs to expand, and your Manager needs to be supported as well so she can develop her skill at creating order and translating the entrepreneurial vision into actions that can be efficiently manifested in the real world.”

Phase 2: Adolescence – Manager

The Adolescence phase starts when a business owner starts to get help, hiring out some of the technical tasks that they don’t want or don’t have the time to do. It’s a great feeling, and incredibly important, to hand things off to others to do. But the author describes that it can become a problem when you hand things off without checking in and making sure they’re being done to your standards. Delegating is not the same as handing off and ignoring, and then stepping in when they’re doing it “wrong.” If the technician keeps taking over, then the Manager doesn’t get a chance to lead in this stage. 

The author describes that being a Manager is more than just hiring someone, but rather working to set expectations, train, and keep them accountable. It’s putting processes and systems in place. A business often doesn’t survive if it depends on the owner to do all of the work.

He writes, “Walk into any Adolescent business anywhere in the world and you’ll find the owner of the business doing it, doing it, doing it, busy, busy, busy—doing everything that has to get done in his business—despite the fact that he now has people who are supposed to be doing it for him… Simply put, your job is to prepare yourself and your business for growth. To educate yourself sufficiently so that, as your business grows, the business’s foundation and structure can carry the additional weight. And as awesome a responsibility as that may seem to you, you have no other choice—if your business is to thrive, that is… To get out of this phase and move on to growth, make a plan on how to adapt to these changes, to become a manager and hire and delegate, to become an entrepreneur and set a vision for the growth and next phase of your business.”

Phase 3: Maturity – Entrepreneur

The author writes that most (or the most successful) Mature businesses didn’t climb the ranks, but rather were designed to be Mature from the start, focusing on the Entrepreneurial perspective from day one. The owners had a vision of their businesses becoming large companies, worked backwards to design them according to what they would need to become that big, and then focused their work on specifically growth. It’s not the only way to do it, you can absolutely grow your business into a successful Mature one, but it helps to learn from that perspective.

The author explains, “The Entrepreneurial Perspective… starts with a picture of a well-defined future, and then comes back to the present with the intention of changing it to match the vision… There’s a standard for the business, a form, a way of being that can be translated into things to do today that best exemplify it. The business operates according to articulated rules and principles. It has a clear, recognizable form… The Entrepreneurial Model has less to do with what’s done in a business and more to do with how it’s done. The commodity isn’t what’s important—the way it’s delivered is… To The Entrepreneur, the business is the product… In short, for this business model of ours to work, it must be balanced and inclusive so that The Entrepreneur, The Manager, and The Technician all find their natural place within it, so that they all find the right work to do. To find such a model, let us examine a revolutionary development that has transformed American small business in an astonishing way. I call it the Turn-Key Revolution.”

Next week we’ll start diving into the solutions that the author puts forward in The E-Myth, Section 2, what he calls the Turn-Key Revolution.

We’d love to hear your answer in the comments:

• Which of the three Roles do you naturally gravitate towards? What has your split between them been like?
  • Which of the three Phases is your business in?
  • What can you do to better balance these roles and move into the next phase?

Feel free to share any other thoughts you have about this book. We can’t wait to hear your thoughts in the comments below!

Don’t forget to:

Happy reading,

Pesso

Message 1 of 24
23 REPLIES 23
Square Champion

@CareyJo First, I guess the notification that you had replied to my post was lost in the recent Community glitch.  Either that or I’m just losing my mind! Ha. 

I hate that it took me until near the end of my career to realize this!  But I’m happy that you and others realize it.  I never thought I was the kind of person who pinched nickels to save pennies, but it turns out I was.  It’s amazing that we can all be guilty of griping about the “cost of this Square service” or the “cost of that third party add-on.”  But if we stop to think about it, that cost is SOOOO much less than the cost of even a part-time human being.

Aren’t stress-less vacations amazing?🤩 

Chip

If my answer resolves your issue, please take a minute to mark it as Best Answer. That helps people who find this thread in the future.

Piper’s Ice Cream Bar, Covington KY USA
Website
Facebook
Click here to see a list of third-party apps I use to add functionality to my Square account!

जो है सो है
Message 22 of 24
Admin

Thanks so much for jumping in, @TheRealChipA !

That's such a great point about having and setting those expectations of a business transaction relationship. It's wonderful that across all of your positions, you were able to have that level of respect and no hard feelings were held in either direction -- both for employees and for contractors. That takes a lot of skill and says so much about who you are a person! 

I'm so glad that Profit First is paying off tremendously for you and that your business is operating leaner and with more pay for you! Love a success story!

Message 23 of 24
Admin

You should also be so proud of yourself, @TheRealChipA , for reaching this point.

I remember this post from almost 2 years ago, when you were considering taking less of a salary for yourself because of the higher costs -- and now you're putting aside more than ever! That's so wonderful!

Message 24 of 24