x
Square Champion

Every social media platform, explained

Hey Square Readers,

As we’re getting into reading Day Trading Attention by Gary Vaynerchuk, let’s get deeper into the material. So far we’ve talked about your business’ use of social media, the first basic principles of the book, and broken down The Modern Advertising Framework.

Here we’ll cover Chapter 4, going into more details about each major social media Platform and how to create content for each. The goal is to help you to get clear on two of the Sections of the Framework from last week, where people seem to get a little lost and extremely frustrated: 2. Platforms and Culture (PAC) and 3. Strategic Organic Content (SOC). 

giphy

Let’s dive into Chapter 4: Platform Overview.

This chapter goes into detail breaking down each social media platform, their origins, their benefits, and specific strategies and tactics to use for them. We won’t go through all of that detail here, but we’ll do a quick overview of some of the key points of each.

While there’s no rule that says you must post on every single social media platform, there is a lot of exposure, attention, and skills to be gained for your business by trying out each new one that comes up. 

“Even if a platform turns out to be a ‘fad’ and goes away, you’d still retain the brand value that you captured by putting out content there … [and] the learnings would translate to other platforms… When you get brand value, people will still find you wherever consumer attention moves next… If a platform does stick around, usually it expands its user base to many different demographics. In that case, it would be smart to get on it early and get a sense for how to make content on the platform.”

Each Social Media platform has its own culture. Sure, some businesses find success by posting the same content across platforms, but in my experience, the best accounts differentiate across platforms, speaking to specific “cohorts” of potential customers within the cultural framework of the platform.

Platforms

Ok- BREATHE! If you’re sorta new or resistant to Social Media, I know what I just wrote sounds a lot like word salad, so let me break down the culture of each social media channel:

• Facebook has pretty much been around the longest. I know I spend time on Facebook to see what my friends and family are doing. I share photos of my kids and my dogs and post major (and not-so-major) life updates. Admittedly, I’m not so great at tapping into Facebook culture for my business, but I do use it to keep people abreast of upcoming events that we host. 
  • Instagram started out as a photo-sharing platform. As such the content on Instagram is more beautiful and polished, but don’t be fooled. Whereas Instagram feeds used to look polished, that full “put together” aesthetic is a thing of the past since Instagram began pushing Reels over static individual Photos.
  • TikTok, the new-comer on the block, gained popularity with kids and teens dancing to popular songs. While a lot of TikTok is still dancing, there is huge up-side and potential to reach customers. I find TikTok to be the most off-the-cuff of all the social media platforms. 
  • Not to leave out our business-to-business friends, LinkedIn is a professional networking site, and as such, continues to have a similar culture. It’s an excellent platform to position yourself as an expert in your industry and share relevant information that users will find interesting as they’re scrolling through the platform. 

The following four I’m going to do my best with. I don’t have a ton of experience with them but they are incredibly large platforms with value depending on what your market/cohort is.

• Twitter (X) is more a stream of immediate consciousness that is visible/readable by the public. If you are an expert in a particular field, you can try searching for content in your area of expertise and respond to, showing yourself an expert in your field.
  • YouTube has long content and newer short-form content like Reels/TikTok. Long form content tends to be more polished/vlog format whereas reels is more off-the-cuff similar to TikTok.
  • Snapchat is used by younger kids and it’s about fun, filtered photos that are off-the-cuff and are not permanent.
  • Threads is Facebook’s answer to X/Twitter and is all about conversation. Create threads that spark a discussion and invite replies. The easiest way to start a conversation is to pose a question. Consider being direct and asking your followers what they want to hear from you on Threads.

Content

PHEW- that was a lot! So, now we know the difference between each platform’s culture. 

The magic trick to creating content that goes viral AND builds your brand and sales is to do so within each platform’s unique culture. As I’m writing this I’m laughing; a sentence that was easy to write but incredibly difficult to execute.

Sometimes I think this can be where people get stuck-figuring out what type of content you should be creating to reach your individual audience cohorts. The best way to figure out what your cohorts are consuming is to consume the content yourself. 

Have you looked at competitors and/or leaders in your industry to see what type of content they’re creating? Are there any industry-adjacent creators that are successful? Pick a platform and spend a considerable amount of time consuming content from all creators so you become intimately familiar with the culture there.

While you’re scrolling listen for trending sounds/trends and act on them, fast. Just this afternoon we were listening to Charlie XCX and were laughing at how fast “Brat” summer came and went. The challenge is to use relevant trends while connecting it to your particular business. 

When it comes to creating content, I prefer to keep it fast and keep it moving. I don’t consider it “throwing spaghetti at the wall” but testing different types of content to see what your market prefers from you while also figuring out what feels most natural and authentic to you. The more authentic you are, the more successful your content will be.

Finally, think about providing value. We started our TikTok by teaching about the products we carry (Gary talks about this on page 71). My thinking (at the time) was even if customers didn’t buy from us we’d solidify our position as an expert in our industry.

Jump into the comments below to share:

• What platforms are most appealing and appropriate for your business?
  • What new platforms might you try after learning more about them?
  • What new things can you try to maximize your efforts across these platforms?

Feel free to share any other thoughts you have about this book. We can’t wait to hear your thoughts in the comments below!

Don’t forget to:

Happy Reading!

Dina
Co-Owner Amityville Apothecary
www.shopamityvilleapothecary.com
Instagram | TikTok @AmityvilleApothecary

Podcast: Apothecary After Dark (YouTube & Spotify)
Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
Admin

Thanks so much @DinaLRosenberg for this super detailed guide to allll of the platforms. It's so great to get the insights and see what makes sense for different goals and businesses! 

Message 2 of 19
Square Champion

I think we're all guilty of falling into the trap of comfortability.. and I get it- I STILL need to get better at YouTube Shorts!!!

Dina

Message 3 of 19
Admin

For sure @DinaLRosenberg ! It's hard to keep learning and trying new things -- but the rewards are definitely worth it. 

What's your plan to do more Shorts?

Message 4 of 19

I made $27 from Facebook and Insta monetizaton this year haha. It's a start!

Message 5 of 19
Admin

Haha, not bad at all @theroyalctambo ! How did you go about doing that? What were your goals?

Message 6 of 19

I am going for a reward/recognition badge from my state government, one of the criteria is posting consistently, so I did some informative ones on repeat, and then some of customers etc. They don't get a heap of interaction, so I plan on trying to get better at it. I think just the number of posts is where the income came from haha 

Message 7 of 19
Admin

That's so interesting, @theroyalctambo ! That seems like a really great incentive to get out there and start posting consistently, which can lead to some great experimentation and improvements. Which ones and types have been doing the best?

Message 8 of 19

Surprisingly the boring ones I do every week with just pictures that I have scheduled on Facebook go better. Which means I will probably do less Insta/TokTik style videos on FB, as I think my demographic don't interact much with those. Insta I have no idea, it's still a mystery haha.

Message 9 of 19
Admin

That's so great that the simple ones do well too, @theroyalctambo ! I think variety is important, so still doing some videos, but definitely keep experimenting and see what happens!

Have you read the book that we're reading as part of this Book Club? It's called Day Trading Attention by Gary Vaynerchuk. Or have you read some of the most book summary discussion posts like this one or this deeper one?

There are sooo many tips and strategies to really help uncover more of the mystery.

Message 10 of 19

FB is the only option for our business.  We're a service company, so a ton of pictures is not really an option, so we don't use IG.  Can't do videos, so that leaves out YouTube and TikTok.  I also have no desire to try those three.  TikTok was also banned in MT.

I am going to try and figure out a little bit more content to add to our FB page that is business related but it's really hard.  I know he talks about posting content that applies to our audience's interests but we have such a broad demographic that it makes it tough.  We focus on homeowners and business owners.  That can be young people in their first home all the way to 80+.  So, I'm trying to think a little creatively and see what I can come up with that might appeal.  Of course, most people over the age of 65 aren't on socials anyway.

Co-Owner/Business Manager
Arctic Heat
R&C Property Management
Event Planner/Business Trainer
Member - Women in HVACR
Member - Women's Leadership Network, Helena
Message 11 of 19
Admin

Thanks for sharing, @CareyJo -- facebook does seem to be a great option for y'all. I still do think you could get creative and do some videos, even if it's just you/your husband talking to camera, sharing the principles behind your business, the kinds of things that you would tell prospective customers during estimates & consultations, or even some technical info about HVAC could be interesting too -- if that' aligns with your goals. This definitely can be content that applies to your customers' interests -- maybe not personal fun interests, but at least their home improvement & HVAC interests! 

For the TikTok ban in Montana -- I'm not sure if that actually was enacted and active yet/at all. Or even would be enforceable if it was.

It's definitely tricky, but I'm so glad that you're working through this and trying to get creative! Rooting for ya! 

Message 12 of 19

It was officially banned and enforced in all state departments.  It was also officially banned for personal use and, as far as I know, is still in process of being argued on how to enforce it personally.  But the government side can and will be enforced.  If you're a state employee and found to have it on your phone you can be fired.  That much I know to be true.

I want to find interesting content for our page but it is tough.  I've been wracking my brain trying to figure out what people would want to read about.  So far, nothing but dirty filters seems to catch anyone's interest.  I'm really uncomfortable doing videos without having a good idea of viable content.  It's probably not something I will do but I'm still considering ideas.

Co-Owner/Business Manager
Arctic Heat
R&C Property Management
Event Planner/Business Trainer
Member - Women in HVACR
Member - Women's Leadership Network, Helena
Message 13 of 19
Admin

Ah yes, for government officials for sure. 

I think it's just a matter of trying and experimenting and seeing. Definitely no need to do anything you're not comfortable with or inappropriate. I think the thing to remember is that the internet is a big place and there is an audience for everything. What interests you? What kinds of content do you consume on the interwebs? Try something like that! Or yea, just talk about your business and what differentiates you from the rest. 

Message 14 of 19
Square Champion

Wondering- can you do videos of home tips related to HVAC? Recommendations when to clean ducts, how to do yourself, etc?

Dina

Message 15 of 19
Square Champion

I split my social plans into two buckets. One online sales and getting people into the studio.

To drive actual feet into the studio TikTok and IG are the best for me.  Both allow people to see what it is like to shop or get a facial from me before coming in.  I do a lot of 'look what is new", video tours, before and after.  

Then for driving online sales and getting web views... It is all about Pinterest and TikTok.  Both are great at driving sales online.  I do more tutorials and product knowledge there.  At one time I was getting about 1.3 million views on Pinterest and it drove over 50% of my web traffic.  Since switching from Wordpress to Weebly that is down significantly.  Weebly just doesn't work well with others so I leaned more into SEO but we will see what the future holds there.  

Doran

Esthetician
Haute Beauty Guide
Message 16 of 19
Square Champion

Maybe you need to teach a Pinterest class- I really could use some help.

I also find TikTok drives sales.. some people don't want to buy a product off TikTok shop but will see is on TT and buy from our website directly which is great.

Dina

Message 17 of 19
Admin

Definitely could do with a Pinterest lesson too!

Oooh that's an interesting insights, @DinaLRosenberg ! Love the idea of catering to both groups of folks there-

Message 18 of 19
Admin

This is such a great way to break it down, @Doran ! 

I love that wide spread of different content types for each of those goals. Giving someone an in-person experience online is a huge value add! 

That's wonderful that Pinterest has been so helpful in driving sales and views. That is a very intense number of views! 

Definitely keep us updated on the SEO journey. What about it doesn't work well with others?

Message 19 of 19