x
Beta Member

what is reporting category

All of a sudden reporting category has shown up - what is it and why do I need it?  Changing categories trying to get my inventory sorted out and having enough problems with that and now I see that the old category is in reporting category and I have no idea what it is.

I have searched for a definition of this field and have found absolutely nothing.

I am working on the square dashboard

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Square Champion

Hi @snowygrey !

We are allowed to choose multiple categories for items now. The Reporting Category is the one where your item will show up for all your reports.

For example if you set My Item to show up in Category 1 and Category 2, you will get the option of setting either category as the reporting category. If you have only one category selected, the reporting category will be the same.

I use this for my coffee roasting website. All my coffees are part of a Bulk Coffee category plus either a Single Origin or Signature Blend category. On my website, I have the Single Origin and Signature Blend categories listed, but for my reporting, all my coffee sales report the Bulk Coffee category.

Hope this helps!

Ryan Wanner
Golden Pine Coffee Roasters
Colorado Springs, CO, USA

Square Champion: I know stuff.
Beta Tester: I break stuff.
he/him/hey you/coffee guy/whatever.

Happy Selling!
Message 2 of 3
Beta Member

I figured this out shortly after I posted. I don’t know when they added the multiple categories option but I wasn’t aware of it. Thanks for answering. 

Message 3 of 3