x
Square Champion

Units Items for inventory.

I am having the absolute most difficult time with units for an item.  

I sell microfiber towels say from a case of 300 in the variables below.

3 pack

10 pack

25 pack

100 pack. 

I cannot for the life of me figure out how to use units when creating an item. I've read the help articles etc.  the P for precision and all throw me for a massive loop. It is literally not clicking.  I need a screen shot or something of what it should look like.   Ive tried calling, I've been walked through it but still does not click for me.... Any help would be beyond massively appreciated. Thank you so much.

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Square Community Moderator

Hi there, @EcoAutoClean,

Thanks for reaching out about this, we are sorry to hear you're having trouble with this element! Are you able to send a screenshot or screen recording of the item you are trying to set up, so we can take a look with you?

Ellie
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 2 of 9
Square Champion

It just doesn't click for me on what I'm doing...i feel there should be a much simpler way to do this or maybe I'm just that blind to it. 

Screenshot 2024-05-27 at 2.53.12 PM.pngScreenshot 2024-05-27 at 2.54.13 PM.pngScreenshot 2024-05-27 at 2.54.37 PM.png

Message 3 of 9
Square Champion

@HC_Charlie wanted to sell in multiples of 3 in Square Online. 

I assume he may have a solution for Retail? 

Message 4 of 9
Square Champion

@TCSlagunaI never found an answer for selling in multiples, other than manually creating new items that were "pack of 3" or "case of 6" etc. Then I had to adjust the price accordingly to multiple the cost of one item to cover the pack or case. I think this is a Feature request, I submitted something to Ideate.

Charlie
Homestyle Charlie
Handmade Heirloom Ornaments & Charms
Check our links for retail Etsy orders and Wholesale Ordering Info
Message 5 of 9
Square Champion

It’s doable - it’s just beyond the most frustrating Incomprehensible way to do it. It would almost make more sense to create a bundle With however ever many of the same item, you need to create a “pack“ but that’s not doable either. Maybe this link will help you better than it helps me https://squareup.com/help/us/en/article/7237-stock-conversion-sell-by

Message 6 of 9
Square Champion

@EcoAutoCleanI think the UNITS are most easily used for items that are sold in fractional amounts, or by weight or liquid measurements. I don't think Square will let you set a restrictive ordering quantity...you can only setup to have customers order 1,2, 3, etc. You can't restrict them to just ordering in packs. You'd have to setup an item manually that would be called "3 pack towels" and make the price of that whatever three of your towels would sell for.

As far as tracking inventory received, even if you buy cases of 300, if you're unit is set to 1 towel, when you receive the case of 300 towels, you'd adjust your inventory to show 300 new towels received (instead of 1 case). Unless there is a certain reason you need to track by CASE ??

As far as the P for Precision, again that is for selling things in fractional parts. You wouldn't sell half of a towel, or .65 of a towel, so set your Precision to 1 (which is for one decimal place; you're not selling your item in parts of a whole. Just whole parts of 1).

Charlie
Homestyle Charlie
Handmade Heirloom Ornaments & Charms
Check our links for retail Etsy orders and Wholesale Ordering Info
Message 7 of 9
Square Champion

I see what you're saying but I often buy towels - 216 at a time and often sell them at 25/50 pack bundles.  I dont have time - nor should i as this is what this feature is for - to keep count.  It throws off profits / counts etc. It's a lot to keep up with.   I worked with customer service over the phone but still find it very hard to be like oh yea I get it..makes perfect sense. Just super frustrating and I know I can't be the only one going through this

Message 8 of 9
Square Champion

@EcoAutoClean ;

Have you read any articles about Sell By Units in the Square Help articles?

I sell candles and I by them by the case of 144 but sell them by 1, 12 or a case of 144.  These all pull from the same inventory.

Maybe this will help you figure it out :

7237-stock-conversion-sell-by 

Keith
Owner
Pocono Candle

Mark as Best Answer if this Helped you solve an issue or give it a thumbs up if you like the answer.
Square Support Number 855-700-6000.
Make Sure App and OS is up to date on your Device.
Message 9 of 9