x

I have put my site up 2/1/23 and still not one item sold! What can I do to help sale items?

I have put my site up 2/1/23 and still not one item sold! What can I do to help sale items on my site?

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Square Champion

Hello @Ednatious thanks for your post. I know how frustrating it can be to build a great website and then see no sales. But please remember how large and vast the internet is....there are probably millions or billions of other websites out there competing for customers. I'm afraid there is no easy answer, and you'll need to do some research and work to get people to your website. (can you list your website in a response to this post; having something to reference would help other Sellers offer suggestions to you.)

There are a ton of questions that affect getting website traffic, but here are just a few to consider...

• Do you have a brick and mortar physical location, or a local area where you sell your products/services? Starting there and announcing your website can help generate local traffic with customers already familiar with you.
  • Do you know about website Search Engine Optimization (SEO)? Search the forums here and the Internet in general for TONS TONS TONS of valuable tips on how to make sure Google and other search engines know about your website. Actually one month isn't a long time in Internet time. It could take that long or more for search engines to properly index your website and show it to potential customers.
  • Make sure you understand your competition! If you sell Widgets on your website....do you know who else sells those widgets? Do a search and find out. How are yours better? Why should customers buy from YOU instead of other websites. You have to know and promote why YOUR SITE IS THE BEST SITE to buy your widgets.
  • Make sure you are leveraging social media like Facebook and Instagram to reach out and try to get customer traffic that way. The more people know about your website, the better the chance they will visit and buy from you. Imagine the vast Internet like a city...you could open a physical store on one side of the city, but how will people in the other parts of city know you're there? You can advertise, promote, go door-to-door and let people know, send out postcards and flyers, etc. Promoting a physical store isn't quite the same as promoting an online store, but this issue is the same....people do not know about your website unless you tell them. Unfortunately it isn't a "field of dreams" situation where just by building a website, you'll get customers.

It's very hard work starting any small business or website, so hang in there! But you've found a great place to get support and ideas. All of your fellow Square Sellers in this community have started small businesses, so keep asking questions, searching for answers, and exploring everything the Square Community has to offer. Take it one day at a time...and celebrate small victories! And thanks for being here, we appreciate you! Good luck!

Charlie
Homestyle Charlie
Handmade Heirloom Ornaments & Charms
Check our links for retail Etsy orders and Wholesale Ordering Info
Message 2 of 4
Beta Member

8.18.24: I saw your question and am having the same issue. I have realized that USPS has a Every Door Direct Mail or EDDM. I signed up for a business account with USPS, and you can print out flyers, postcards, ect and have them deliver to every business and residential place within a 5 mile radius from you. I can just click on all the post office boxes and that is about 370 boxes for $84.00. Remember that you have to have printed your flyers or whatever within the guidelines for USPS EDDM, which all info is available on your dashboard after signing up. I am going to just use design.com and have them print about 500 and send them to me. Then I can get them to the post office and they will send them every where I want. I think it said in my whole area, (remember 5 mile radius), that it was around $900.00. But I can choose what financial bracket, or what age groups, or sexes ect. So the price can vary from $84.00 to about $900.00 for about 4000 people. I haven't tried this yet as I have to come up with the $84.00 still. But it's at least an idea for those that are needing ideas for advertising. Fantascticz is my name of my business. 

Trisha Shakespeare Carr
www.fantascticz.com
fantascticz@fantascticz.com
1+ (844) 306.0038
Message 3 of 4
Beta Member

Hey there Ednatious,

@HC_Charliehas some great advice - we've learned just having a website is just the beginning.   I'm assuming this is your site, if not, my apologies, just thought I take a guess.   Anyway, if this is your site - here's some things I noticed.  Looks like you do have some other Social Media listings which is a good thing.   As for your Square website - there's no shopping cart - it appears that your items are setup as Buy Now, you need the Cart feature.  If someone wants to buy several different items they are going to get a frustrated because there's no cart.  There is a Back to Cart link and a Continue Shopping link however, the Back to Cart just goes back to the last item selected.  There's also no info about you or any contact info that I can find other than signing up for a News Letter.  (No contact info is a red flag for most potential customers.)   Consider adding an About page and a Contact page - you want people to know something about and feed confident that they can get in touch if necessary.   These are just some things to consider as having an online presence is a constant learning experience. 

Message 4 of 4