x

How do I create a GTIN to sell on instagram?

I have an 8 digit code and not a 14 digit code on my products. Instagram requires a 14 digit code. Does anyone know how I create a 14 digit code? I am pretty positive I can't just make one up bc it has to be a unique global code. 

Message 1 of 3
1 Best Answer
Square Champion

Best Answer

@SNP_Cape_Cod ;

Since this is a Square forum you may have to ask this question in an Instagram Forum.  I believe you need to buy your GTIN numbers from a GTIN provider to give your Business a Unigue GTIN prefix.  Here is a link to some GTIN information:

small-business- GTIN help 

gs1-frequently-asked-questions/ 

You are also correct you can not legally just make up a GTIN because of accidentially using another companies GTIN.  This is why Square lets you make up your own SKU or Stock Keeping Unit, which has fewer restrictions of a GTIN.

You may want to see if I.G. would let you use a SKU instead of the 14 digit GTIN number.

Costs for a GTIN can be expensive:

$30 each
If you only need a few GTINs, we license individual GTINs for a one-time fee of $30 each, with no annual renewal fee. When you license a GS1 US GTIN, your company is uniquely and exclusively identified as the owner of that number, and you get access to other GS1 US member benefits.

Here is more on GTIN pricing -  upcs-barcodes-prefixes/how-to-get-a-upc-barcode 

Keith
Owner
Pocono Candle

Mark as Best Answer if this Helped you solve an issue or give it a thumbs up if you like the answer.
Square Support Number 855-700-6000.
Make Sure App and OS is up to date on your Device.

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Square Champion

Best Answer

@SNP_Cape_Cod ;

Since this is a Square forum you may have to ask this question in an Instagram Forum.  I believe you need to buy your GTIN numbers from a GTIN provider to give your Business a Unigue GTIN prefix.  Here is a link to some GTIN information:

small-business- GTIN help 

gs1-frequently-asked-questions/ 

You are also correct you can not legally just make up a GTIN because of accidentially using another companies GTIN.  This is why Square lets you make up your own SKU or Stock Keeping Unit, which has fewer restrictions of a GTIN.

You may want to see if I.G. would let you use a SKU instead of the 14 digit GTIN number.

Costs for a GTIN can be expensive:

$30 each
If you only need a few GTINs, we license individual GTINs for a one-time fee of $30 each, with no annual renewal fee. When you license a GS1 US GTIN, your company is uniquely and exclusively identified as the owner of that number, and you get access to other GS1 US member benefits.

Here is more on GTIN pricing -  upcs-barcodes-prefixes/how-to-get-a-upc-barcode 

Keith
Owner
Pocono Candle

Mark as Best Answer if this Helped you solve an issue or give it a thumbs up if you like the answer.
Square Support Number 855-700-6000.
Make Sure App and OS is up to date on your Device.
Message 2 of 3

Thank you so much. This is helpful. 

Message 3 of 3