x

Choose which variations are sold online

We are a NEW beer and wine shop and tasting room that uses square for retail. I am attempting to build out an online storefront.

we sell wine by the glass as well as bottles. I do this currently by having the glass pull from the bottle inventory. Looks like it could work great.

my question is regarding online sales. I don’t want customers to have the option of buying a glass online, I need to have ONLY bottles available. Can I do this easily? Seems like there must be an easy way to do this, thank you.

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Square Champion

Hi @Thezachshea I had to do a little research here in the community to be sure, but currently this is not possible, at least not as you outline.  Since variations are synced between POS and Online Stores, and since they don’t have toggles to say “not available online” or something similar what you want to do requires a rather clunky workaround.

Before I get to that, I’d strongly recommend submitting a feature request to the Online Team in Square’s Ideate board.  I can’t stress this enough that you do this.  I found at least a half dozen threads here in the Community where other sellers were told to do that, but it looks like no one has ever done it!  If an official request hasn’t been made, Square probably thinks this is not a big issue for the seller community at large.

Now, to the workaround.  For now, all you can do is create two sets of wine lists — one that is available online, and another that is available on your POS.  Unfortunately, that will bring up issues of inventory control if you are using Square’s inventory management.  Trust me, I know that this is not ideal.

The only other workaround I can suggest is that you set your inventory to 0 for all glass variations.  If you have your online store setup probably to display “out of stock” items as OOS, then online customers won’t be able to add glasses to their cart.  POS, however, allows us to add out of stock variations to a transaction.  Again, I understand the limitations of this as well, from the point of view of POS showing glasses as out of stock, and your online store being cluttered up a little.

Chip

If my answer resolves your issue, please take a minute to mark it as Best Answer. That helps people who find this thread in the future.

Piper’s Ice Cream Bar, Covington KY USA
Website
Facebook
Click here to see a list of third-party apps I use to add functionality to my Square account!

जो है सो है
Message 2 of 2