x
Beta Member

New Square Loan in 2024

I’m at a bit of a loss for what else I need to do to be offered a new Square Loan at this point. I’ve been with Square for over 10 years, had 7 loans now that I’ve have paid back early every single time. Metrics are all in green, record sales year. In 2023, record numbers across the board, no refunds, no complaints or issues of any kind in our entire history. Current loan is 80% paid off, but no new offer in site. This is the kind of stuff that causes businesses to find someone else to process through! Please help! I’m sure I’ll get the same old excuses that you guys send to everyone about looking at every aspect of the business. But there isn’t a single aspect that isn’t way up. I’m not sure if there is a new process they are using now, or if there is some kind of issue with my banking or something else I’m not thinking about or aware of. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks, because I could really use some new capital to start the year off with and reinvest into my business!

Message 1 of 2,000
5 Best Answers
Square Champion

Best Answer

I'm really sorry to hear about your frustration with the loan offers. I understand how important it is to feel valued, especially as a loyal customer. Let me try to address your concerns and provide some clarity.

Loan Offers and Qualification Parameters

Square’s loan offers are based on a variety of factors, and while past trends have shown offers at certain thresholds, the exact parameters can change over time and are not always disclosed in detail. Here are a few points to consider:

• Dynamic Criteria: Square uses a complex set of algorithms that take into account not just the repayment percentage but also your recent sales history, account health, and overall business performance.
  • Market Conditions: External market conditions and internal policy changes can also impact when and how loan offers are extended.

Value Beyond Transaction Fees

I understand that a 3% card transaction fee can seem high compared to other providers, but Square offers several features and benefits that help justify this cost:

• Integrated Ecosystem: Square provides a comprehensive suite of tools that work seamlessly together, from point-of-sale systems to online stores, invoicing, and inventory management.
  • Ease of Use: The user-friendly interface and intuitive design make managing your business simpler and more efficient, saving you time and reducing the need for extensive training.
  • Reliable Support: Square offers robust customer support and resources to help you resolve issues quickly and keep your business running smoothly.
  • Secure Transactions: Advanced security measures protect your business and customers from fraud and data breaches.
  • Analytics and Reporting: Detailed analytics and reporting tools help you understand your business performance and make informed decisions.

I understand the disappointment regarding the loan offer, please know that Square regularly reviews its criteria and your status. I recommend reaching out to Square’s customer support for a more personalized review of your account and to express your concerns directly.

View Best Answer >

Message 468 of 2,000
Square Community Moderator

Best Answer

Thank you for reaching out and sharing your concerns. We understand your frustration, especially given your long-standing relationship with Square and your excellent track record with previous loans.

There are several factors that can affect loan offers, and while it sounds like you have met all the typical criteria, there may be new processes or other considerations at play. I would reach out to our Square Financial Services Team if you have any further questions. They are available at 1-855-700-6000 Monday - Friday, 8 AM to 8 PM CST. 

View Best Answer >

Message 875 of 2,000
Square Champion

Best Answer

August 1st Square shareholder letter came out with another outstanding quarter for Square Loans.  More loans than ever were started in the last 3 months, an outstanding show of commitment to the service.
"Square Loans facilitated approximately 142,000 loans totaling $1.45 billion in originations, up 32% year over year."

That breaks down to almost 1,600 loans a day (66 an hour, or more than 1 per 
minute). averaging $10,200+ per loan.

So yes, there are THOUSANDS and THOUSANDS of Square Loans happening all the time.  It is unbelievable that they can get this number of loans even facilitated, that is a staggering number of loans to Square customers.  It wouldn't be possible without the Square Loans Algorithm going thru and promoting offers to be given.  For every one post on here saying they haven't gotten a loan or 5th offer, 10s of thousands have gotten loans.  The service keeps growing though it may not seem like it to a user that is waiting for their 3rd loan.

@Twpchair 

View Best Answer >

Message 1492 of 2,000
Square Champion

Best Answer

Good news, bad news, eh @cmeshine.  There are a number of reasons that COULD be part of why your new offer was lower.

1. Square might be slowing down on how much loan exposure they want to have on their balance sheet.  They are, after all, a publicly traded company that has to answer to their shareholders and investors.
  2. If our sales are flat or at least not growing at a good rate to cover inflation and higher interest, then Square’s algorithm understands that inflation is eating into our available cash to pay bills, etc.  Flat sales (or very slowly growing sales) are always red flags to lenders, Square or not.
  3. Sometimes how long it takes us to pay off our current loans can be a factor.  Let’s say that previous loans were paid off with automatic payments in 8-10 months in the past.  But for this current loan it took us 12-15 months.  That tells Square that our card processing volume can’t keep you with higher loan amounts.  Yes, they give us 18 months to fully pay a loan, but they obviously prefer that we pay them off closer to the 12 month mark.
  4. If our cash/card ratio drastically changes, and cash spikes or is consistently higher than historical for our business, that is another red flag.  Since Square must only consider card volume when calculating repayment rates this can become a problem.

Of course, I’m not saying that any of these contributed to your lower offer.  I’m just throwing out a few reasons why this CAN happen.

Chip

If my answer resolves your issue, please take a minute to mark it as Best Answer. That helps people who find this thread in the future.

Piper’s Ice Cream Bar, Covington KY USA
Website
Facebook
Click here to see a list of third-party apps I use to add functionality to my Square account!

जो है सो है

View Best Answer >

Message 1498 of 2,000
Square Champion

Best Answer

@Twpchair wrote:

Years ago, I went to my credit union and called about a line of credit. Do I need anything, etc, Nope, they had all my paperwork and licenses, and they can look right at my account. I only bank with them.  No kidding in about an hour boom done received a line of credit. Now, I do use that for emergency type situations. But I have it. I just myself like small credit unions vs. bigger banks, just my preference, but they seem to lend faster and more often to small businesses. They did offer a business credit card, and I turned that down over the LOC. I'm old school and I do like Square. I've never been with anyone else, though, to compare. But I swipe that card and 5:05 pm it's in my bank. Loans love them, too. I don't take every offer more so the winter times, or if a deal comes along that I just can't pass up on and an offer came in, I would take it. I'm also one that likes the higher percentage paid back. If I want that loan, I want the most of it and not roll over 30 or 40% of an old loan eating into my new offer. But that's just me. Everyone and their situation is different. I see people with broken equipment or business repairs that need to be done ASAP. That's much different, and I feel for them, and each day I watch hoping they get that offer!

I agree everyone's circumstances are different and things come up randomly.  The biggest thing is like you said, if possible, to pay that thing down to 10% or less is ideal for sure if you can.  Just makes the most sense to me as well.  A 15k loan doesn't mean anything if you are losing 4-5k of that to pay off the previous one. 

Dan
Scorpion Coating Plus,LLC
Square Super Seller
Check out Square support center for additional help.

View Best Answer >

Message 1832 of 2,000
1,999 REPLIES 1,999
Square Champion

My killers in retail furniture are American Express and Discover. Especially if they buy a 20.00 item and I think without looking it's 3.86 and the other is 3.68 or close to the upper 3-4% and that's using pos or register. I won't key it in.  Customer orders or dining sets are different but it still adds up. I guess I'm like you if it's not broken don't fix it! I swipe the card and the money is there in a couple of minutes after 5 pm. Short day today I don't usually work Sunday but I have to till noon and then home for the Lions game!

Message 1891 of 2,000

For me it doesn’t matter what time of day an invoice is paid. Regardless, it’s in my account in 5-10 minutes, my square checking that is.  But then again, I only process about 155 payments a year on average by card (roughly $160k)  which is about 75% of all sales.  It’s rare for me processing two payments in a day.  Completely different industry though.   

But having the money instantly is huge, cause once in a while a job of mine requires thousands of dollars in materials and is needed. 

Message 1892 of 2,000
Square Champion

That's awesome though! I don't know how the algorithm picks off people like you. I honestly can't imagine being worldwide and having millions of users a person is sitting there oh they are seasonal or open only on the weekends. I would assume just imo that it picks off your trends. Just a guess? I am not a computer or technology person at all. I have 4 full-time employees and 2 part-time who do that. Then myself and my husband. We are the only retail store in our town and being right at the US 27 and 10 interchange is great for us! They get off the 2nd exit or Hamburger Hill and boom there we are. I go in at 4/5 am and leave at about 2 pm or so and my husband does from 9 am ish till 5 pm. The employees are always 9-5 pm and the other 2 im extremely flexible if they are done or want to finish up at home no biggie im so happy to just have them. Trying to find a body with a heartbeat that shows up and doesn't want 30.00 an hour is about as hard as figuring out how this algorithm works! With the economy and my location, I took a chance on 75% of the store, and the rest I did in booths of gently used furniture and decor, and it's booming! Not everyone can afford a new dining set or living room furniture but they will spend 75.00 and buy a ton of decor. That's what I have been pushing on our Facebook page and the 2ne best move I've made! Roll with it and go for it you don't know if you don't try. I think I asked you before do you just do exterior painting or interior as well? 

Message 1893 of 2,000

That’s awesome thinking outside the box to bring in more sales. And you are right about finding a good employee at a realistic wage. It’s close to impossible. 

And I don’t know how the algorithm works with a profession like mine. My two largest loans came in at a slower time or a time when I was just about slow down.  Which has been excellent cause that’s when I need it the most.  When I first signed up with square it was strictly to process cards. I didn’t even know they offered loans until I saw an email about an offer. And they have been really a god send at times. So when all said and done, I don’t have any complaints cause I wasn’t even expecting them at all at the beginning  

Message 1894 of 2,000
Square Champion

I am far from a bot! I don't work for Square. I am a business owner in Michigan! And if you look at the times I'm on here it is early morning having coffee and at night when I'm home relaxing. I'm sorry I'm not a negative person and sometimes the world could use a little kindness! So you can call me out all you need to if it makes you feel better but I won't stop being who I am! I am sorry you haven't received a loan. I don't know much about the UK as very few post here. Here it's been slow since last summer. I know you don't want to hear this but good to you! There are many here that completely paid off as well. Do they have a call center there or is it just the same scripted reply? 

Message 1895 of 2,000
Square Champion

Sorry, it was the person above you that was from the UK and not you. 

Message 1896 of 2,000

Yeah that post **bleep**ed me off as well. I love the regulars on here that post often. The more the better. It gives everyone a sense of loan trends and is helpful. Really doesn’t solve the problem with trying to figure out their weird algorithm, as I’m coming to the conclusion that it’s more like a random lottery at times 😂

Message 1897 of 2,000
Square Champion

This is the first place I come in the winter especially when im in panic mode then especially a bad winter! I know what I will get by calling and here you nailed it you can see the trends. Is it a guarantee no but it seems to be better than guessing that old algorithm! The other part of the new verbiage on the last part added about the market, and economy was idle or idling the algorithm. Well, unfortunately, we don't get an email or something in our dashboard about it. Myself I prefer to just tell me for the next 6mths or whatever that we have to slow down on the loans or amounts until the economy, lending whatever it is gets back on track. Thank you though for the kind words. I do get the frustration though. But wrong one!

Message 1898 of 2,000

I always appreciate your feedback! We sort of developed a little family here. Lol you’re like our group “mom” I don’t believe you work for square nor have any affiliation with what goes on behind the scenes. I do believe that you have been with square for a very long time and your experience with square shows. And we all appreciate the feedback from you. You’re always so positive and it gives us that glimmer of hope that we can be next! Overall we appreciate you! Have a great Sunday! 

Message 1899 of 2,000
Square Champion

Thank you, since 2012 before loans! I think I was one of the first in the “testing” of the new loans in 2014. No, I don't work for Square, I'm not a bot 😆 too many typos and too lengthy of a post! Square would fire me and cut it to a sentence! I understand the importance and frustration people are holding tight but only for so long. I honestly haven't seen it this tough as now. I told the others above to type in The White Pallet Chair Clare Mi and that's me!!!! Hopefully, that's ok to post. Thank you, and honestly good luck to you! 3/4 or more months paid off is something we are not used to!!!! 

Message 1900 of 2,000

So sorry they came for you like that. You seem to only want to help and keep everyones spirits up. 

Message 1901 of 2,000
Square Champion

I understand the frustration, unfortunately, people get frustrated and I'm not saying that person but others are really needing this now type of thing to stay open. As far as I know, they would fire me pretty fast over my typos and I would handing out loans like candy! I see people post up 200% or higher that's exactly what they say they are looking for. I don't think imo that is has as much to do with you or me or the others waiting but just lending in general is tight. Like the other guy posted their pos forums are saying the same thing as here. The only ones I know that work for Square are clearly defined as moderator or mod. Others have accused others of being bots etc. I don't think so just going by how they talk is all. Thank you for your kind words. If you get bored look up The White Pallet Chair, Clare Michigan that's me! Good luck and hopefully soon! 

Message 1902 of 2,000

Yeah I guess everyone is frustrated/scared. I will definitely look up your business! I’m Victoria & Jane in Atlanta. We’re on Instagram as @victoriaandjane

Message 1903 of 2,000
Beta Member

Goofy you say? Yeah around here there’s a different word for you. Btw you seem to have enough time to read what she has to say… and here you are writing a book for everyone else to read. Pretty pathetic you take time out of your day to totally blast someone on here who’s just trying to make everyone else’s day a little less stressful! 

Your know it all self has plenty of complaints but eh who cares it doesn’t phase you. Why even comment? Maybe you should look into those “Indian call centers”! I’m sure your customers would be please with those results. Toodles! Have a wickedly miserable normal to you day. 

Message 1904 of 2,000

Well said!

Message 1905 of 2,000
Square Champion

Thank you 😂❤️ if anyone knows waiting it's you! Glad you stuck with it and got a good rep to work with now. 

Message 1906 of 2,000
Beta Member

SMH Get a grip.   Grass isn't always greener on other side.   Good luck.  By the way, the name of the forum is seller community.   We have sellers helping other sellers and actually Square employees do respond once in awhile and identify themselves as that.   TWPchair is on here giving others a person to talk/vent too.  She obviously been with square many years (as myself) and have had several experiences and just sharing them.   Even if she does "work for square" What harm is she doing?      Life is to short spread LOVE not HATE !

Message 1907 of 2,000
Square Champion

Thank you! And no I don't work for Square just been with them since day 1 when I opened my business. I understand people are frustrated it's not been the norm since last summer and so many people are just barely hanging on. Believe me, if I worked for Square it wouldn't be long! I would be like Oprah up in here with you get a loan, you get a loan, everybody gets a loan! And you know exactly who does if it says Mod they do. You nailed it with the forums and I get faster and more detailed information when I need help with technical issues I think im allergic to computers! Good luck to all those who are waiting! I see a couple who have been paid off completely finally get an offer! Have a great day! Off to the paint booth! Fun!

Message 1908 of 2,000
Beta Member

Update from the UK paid off since April 18th still no offer. Had an excellent week after a dicey summer (still up on last year mind you!) still can’t see my metrics, still waiting………Square has zero answers and is nothing but vague but yet has made a nice sum from my transactions and add ons. It’s a love hate relationship at this point.

Message 1909 of 2,000

I hate to draw attention from Square loans, but I know people are suffering and we are all looking for help since Square isn’t coming through as quick as we need. There is a company called Pipe that will loan based off your Square sales btw. If they ask, let them know Ennyluap sent you ❤️.

Message 1910 of 2,000

Thanks for this information. I just applied and connected my square account. My offer was only $4k but it would be so helpful. I hope it gets approved. It says it takes between a few minutes and 48 hours. 

Message 1911 of 2,000