x
Beta Member

New Square Loan in 2024

I’m at a bit of a loss for what else I need to do to be offered a new Square Loan at this point. I’ve been with Square for over 10 years, had 7 loans now that I’ve have paid back early every single time. Metrics are all in green, record sales year. In 2023, record numbers across the board, no refunds, no complaints or issues of any kind in our entire history. Current loan is 80% paid off, but no new offer in site. This is the kind of stuff that causes businesses to find someone else to process through! Please help! I’m sure I’ll get the same old excuses that you guys send to everyone about looking at every aspect of the business. But there isn’t a single aspect that isn’t way up. I’m not sure if there is a new process they are using now, or if there is some kind of issue with my banking or something else I’m not thinking about or aware of. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks, because I could really use some new capital to start the year off with and reinvest into my business!

Message 1 of 2,000
5 Best Answers
Square Champion

Best Answer

I'm really sorry to hear about your frustration with the loan offers. I understand how important it is to feel valued, especially as a loyal customer. Let me try to address your concerns and provide some clarity.

Loan Offers and Qualification Parameters

Square’s loan offers are based on a variety of factors, and while past trends have shown offers at certain thresholds, the exact parameters can change over time and are not always disclosed in detail. Here are a few points to consider:

• Dynamic Criteria: Square uses a complex set of algorithms that take into account not just the repayment percentage but also your recent sales history, account health, and overall business performance.
  • Market Conditions: External market conditions and internal policy changes can also impact when and how loan offers are extended.

Value Beyond Transaction Fees

I understand that a 3% card transaction fee can seem high compared to other providers, but Square offers several features and benefits that help justify this cost:

• Integrated Ecosystem: Square provides a comprehensive suite of tools that work seamlessly together, from point-of-sale systems to online stores, invoicing, and inventory management.
  • Ease of Use: The user-friendly interface and intuitive design make managing your business simpler and more efficient, saving you time and reducing the need for extensive training.
  • Reliable Support: Square offers robust customer support and resources to help you resolve issues quickly and keep your business running smoothly.
  • Secure Transactions: Advanced security measures protect your business and customers from fraud and data breaches.
  • Analytics and Reporting: Detailed analytics and reporting tools help you understand your business performance and make informed decisions.

I understand the disappointment regarding the loan offer, please know that Square regularly reviews its criteria and your status. I recommend reaching out to Square’s customer support for a more personalized review of your account and to express your concerns directly.

View Best Answer >

Message 468 of 2,000
Square Community Moderator

Best Answer

Thank you for reaching out and sharing your concerns. We understand your frustration, especially given your long-standing relationship with Square and your excellent track record with previous loans.

There are several factors that can affect loan offers, and while it sounds like you have met all the typical criteria, there may be new processes or other considerations at play. I would reach out to our Square Financial Services Team if you have any further questions. They are available at 1-855-700-6000 Monday - Friday, 8 AM to 8 PM CST. 

View Best Answer >

Message 875 of 2,000
Square Champion

Best Answer

August 1st Square shareholder letter came out with another outstanding quarter for Square Loans.  More loans than ever were started in the last 3 months, an outstanding show of commitment to the service.
"Square Loans facilitated approximately 142,000 loans totaling $1.45 billion in originations, up 32% year over year."

That breaks down to almost 1,600 loans a day (66 an hour, or more than 1 per 
minute). averaging $10,200+ per loan.

So yes, there are THOUSANDS and THOUSANDS of Square Loans happening all the time.  It is unbelievable that they can get this number of loans even facilitated, that is a staggering number of loans to Square customers.  It wouldn't be possible without the Square Loans Algorithm going thru and promoting offers to be given.  For every one post on here saying they haven't gotten a loan or 5th offer, 10s of thousands have gotten loans.  The service keeps growing though it may not seem like it to a user that is waiting for their 3rd loan.

@Twpchair 

View Best Answer >

Message 1492 of 2,000
Square Champion

Best Answer

Good news, bad news, eh @cmeshine.  There are a number of reasons that COULD be part of why your new offer was lower.

1. Square might be slowing down on how much loan exposure they want to have on their balance sheet.  They are, after all, a publicly traded company that has to answer to their shareholders and investors.
  2. If our sales are flat or at least not growing at a good rate to cover inflation and higher interest, then Square’s algorithm understands that inflation is eating into our available cash to pay bills, etc.  Flat sales (or very slowly growing sales) are always red flags to lenders, Square or not.
  3. Sometimes how long it takes us to pay off our current loans can be a factor.  Let’s say that previous loans were paid off with automatic payments in 8-10 months in the past.  But for this current loan it took us 12-15 months.  That tells Square that our card processing volume can’t keep you with higher loan amounts.  Yes, they give us 18 months to fully pay a loan, but they obviously prefer that we pay them off closer to the 12 month mark.
  4. If our cash/card ratio drastically changes, and cash spikes or is consistently higher than historical for our business, that is another red flag.  Since Square must only consider card volume when calculating repayment rates this can become a problem.

Of course, I’m not saying that any of these contributed to your lower offer.  I’m just throwing out a few reasons why this CAN happen.

Chip

If my answer resolves your issue, please take a minute to mark it as Best Answer. That helps people who find this thread in the future.

Piper’s Ice Cream Bar, Covington KY USA
Website
Facebook
Click here to see a list of third-party apps I use to add functionality to my Square account!

जो है सो है

View Best Answer >

Message 1498 of 2,000
Square Champion

Best Answer

@Twpchair wrote:

Years ago, I went to my credit union and called about a line of credit. Do I need anything, etc, Nope, they had all my paperwork and licenses, and they can look right at my account. I only bank with them.  No kidding in about an hour boom done received a line of credit. Now, I do use that for emergency type situations. But I have it. I just myself like small credit unions vs. bigger banks, just my preference, but they seem to lend faster and more often to small businesses. They did offer a business credit card, and I turned that down over the LOC. I'm old school and I do like Square. I've never been with anyone else, though, to compare. But I swipe that card and 5:05 pm it's in my bank. Loans love them, too. I don't take every offer more so the winter times, or if a deal comes along that I just can't pass up on and an offer came in, I would take it. I'm also one that likes the higher percentage paid back. If I want that loan, I want the most of it and not roll over 30 or 40% of an old loan eating into my new offer. But that's just me. Everyone and their situation is different. I see people with broken equipment or business repairs that need to be done ASAP. That's much different, and I feel for them, and each day I watch hoping they get that offer!

I agree everyone's circumstances are different and things come up randomly.  The biggest thing is like you said, if possible, to pay that thing down to 10% or less is ideal for sure if you can.  Just makes the most sense to me as well.  A 15k loan doesn't mean anything if you are losing 4-5k of that to pay off the previous one. 

Dan
Scorpion Coating Plus,LLC
Square Super Seller
Check out Square support center for additional help.

View Best Answer >

Message 1832 of 2,000
1,999 REPLIES 1,999
Square Champion

Best Answer

August 1st Square shareholder letter came out with another outstanding quarter for Square Loans.  More loans than ever were started in the last 3 months, an outstanding show of commitment to the service.
"Square Loans facilitated approximately 142,000 loans totaling $1.45 billion in originations, up 32% year over year."

That breaks down to almost 1,600 loans a day (66 an hour, or more than 1 per 
minute). averaging $10,200+ per loan.

So yes, there are THOUSANDS and THOUSANDS of Square Loans happening all the time.  It is unbelievable that they can get this number of loans even facilitated, that is a staggering number of loans to Square customers.  It wouldn't be possible without the Square Loans Algorithm going thru and promoting offers to be given.  For every one post on here saying they haven't gotten a loan or 5th offer, 10s of thousands have gotten loans.  The service keeps growing though it may not seem like it to a user that is waiting for their 3rd loan.

@Twpchair 

Message 1492 of 2,000
Square Champion

Thank you so much. You are my hero! It's so hard 😫 and I wished more people used this forum so people could see and realize Square is worldwide, not just the United States. I see a couple of people from Canada and England on here regularly, and besides that, it's honestly about it. But people do need to know that even though Square is worldwide, it's still lending daily hourly etc they are a business and have share holders to answer too as well. So, if things slow from just the ones here, they have to answer to them as well.  Last year was identical so far, and boom, come September till about late/mid June it slowed down and then went crazy. I feel so bad because I know sometimes sh*t happens like the hood oven 😪 unfortunately, without having a backup like we do with a line of credit you are caught. I would be fired after the end of the day if I worked for Square because I would be like Oprah, and you get a loan, you get a loan, and everybody gets a loan! 😆 🤣 😂 unfortunately, I get to work like everyone else 24/7, I think 🤔 

Message 1493 of 2,000

1000006761.png

Message 1494 of 2,000

Looks like square is doing pretty  ok this year .Hopefully the losses up on the lending  .

Message 1495 of 2,000
Square Champion

Yes, they do very well each year. Each year is better than the previous year, and they lend the most as well! Each quarter seems to go up and up. I know it's hard or mind-blowing, but being worldwide and Square is top rated, they really are lending each and every day. I would have to ask what percentage post here. Personally, I noticed that about 95% are from the USA, and I have seen a good amount from England and Canada. I can't say if I have seen any other countries at least posting here. I really wish more people would use the community threads. It helps others waiting for an offer. There are some great threads on here, and most just don't know it or don't use it. Looks like the books and numbers were good, and the market is semi stable. That's good, so hopefully, it loosens up in our Lil town here loanerville. There are too many people that really could use one bad. They have equipment that isn't working, leaking roof, and the other is being pushed around by big box stores stuck in the middle of 2 that moved in on both sides of hers. Let's see this bust open! Good luck!

Message 1496 of 2,000
Beta Member

I got an update: I posted here last week hoping to see trends in the loan processing this year.  This Saturday received our 12th loan offer, $7K less than our previous.  We were at 83% paid off, all green on the metrics.  The amount was lower than expected, not clear on why.

Message 1497 of 2,000
Square Champion

Best Answer

Good news, bad news, eh @cmeshine.  There are a number of reasons that COULD be part of why your new offer was lower.

1. Square might be slowing down on how much loan exposure they want to have on their balance sheet.  They are, after all, a publicly traded company that has to answer to their shareholders and investors.
  2. If our sales are flat or at least not growing at a good rate to cover inflation and higher interest, then Square’s algorithm understands that inflation is eating into our available cash to pay bills, etc.  Flat sales (or very slowly growing sales) are always red flags to lenders, Square or not.
  3. Sometimes how long it takes us to pay off our current loans can be a factor.  Let’s say that previous loans were paid off with automatic payments in 8-10 months in the past.  But for this current loan it took us 12-15 months.  That tells Square that our card processing volume can’t keep you with higher loan amounts.  Yes, they give us 18 months to fully pay a loan, but they obviously prefer that we pay them off closer to the 12 month mark.
  4. If our cash/card ratio drastically changes, and cash spikes or is consistently higher than historical for our business, that is another red flag.  Since Square must only consider card volume when calculating repayment rates this can become a problem.

Of course, I’m not saying that any of these contributed to your lower offer.  I’m just throwing out a few reasons why this CAN happen.

Chip

If my answer resolves your issue, please take a minute to mark it as Best Answer. That helps people who find this thread in the future.

Piper’s Ice Cream Bar, Covington KY USA
Website
Facebook
Click here to see a list of third-party apps I use to add functionality to my Square account!

जो है सो है
Message 1498 of 2,000
Beta Member

Thank you for your insight.  We're at 89% and only in our fifth month of paying back 15,500.00 , so we're definitely ahead of the 18 months.  It would make sense if Square charged interest,  to want us to go the full 18 months.  I prefer Square Loans over conventional because it doesn't tie up credit from our bank in case of emergency or if we wanted to buy another home. 

Message 1499 of 2,000
Square Champion

I don't take every loan either. The summertime is our busiest time until Christmas, and then it depends on the winter. Congratulations again!

Message 1500 of 2,000
Square Champion

Congratulations! I am sorry it was lower than expected. ughhhhh, but it's something, and I hope it helps! I'm just happy to see it moving forward!

Message 1501 of 2,000

We are 81% paid now on our 58k loan. Business have slowed down though at least 30-40% drop in the last few months. It's been bad in san francisco. Patiently waiting for next offer. I assume it will be much lower since the drop in sales. We'll see.

Message 1502 of 2,000
Square Champion

Hun, I am so sorry. Unfortunately, I'm seeing certain states just kicking it or their line of business, and others are 200% up????? I'm in Central Michigan, and for the last 3 years of 12 years, we've been maintaining or slightly higher or the same. I don't don't take every offer. Our busiest time is now, and winter is year to year. So, I freak out in the winter 🤪 

Message 1503 of 2,000
Square Champion

What line of business are you in? There's one on here now from San Francisco in the restaurant industry. She is not very happy about it either. The cost of food is just crazy. I don't understand why people don't understand why 6 wings or a good burger or steak has gone up! Are they living under a rock, on a longgggggg diet? It truly baffles me with that. Each week, I go shopping and up again and again. My friend has a little bed and breakfast and she has there a small cafe and a gift shop. She showed me her spreadsheet just the last 2 years up and up wings about 60% hamburger 50% I didn't see one thing that didn't go up the take out containers 50% I told her why can't you make copies of that and put it in menu? I'm watching chain restaurant's closing up weekly, and apparently, they don't connect the dots?

Message 1504 of 2,000
Beta Member

Oof! A 40lb case of quality chicken wings goes for 130 to 175 bucks! No mr customer,  we can not do 50 cent wing night ! It's ridiculous! I'm still trying to figure out how chicken,  the cheapest food you can farm has become the most expensive.  Anyway,  food cost are up for restaurants and consumers all together.  Square has helped us small businesses during these price increases. Hopefully ours will come through so we can transition to our new, more populated area. I'll never open in another small town that doesn't seem to want to grow. 

Message 1505 of 2,000
Beta Member

We are now post 15 days paid off from 4th loan. Process over $350k CC. All green and have always been! We are up over 2,000% YoY and still no offer to date.

however, in hindsight without having to pay those daily fees for loan repayment increased the rain day fund.  We can still accomplish our goals however instead of instant gratification for some plans we just have to wait it out to build up the funding.

i wish everyone the best… 

Message 1506 of 2,000
Square Champion

I wish you the best as well! You are kicking it and that's all that matters! I'm watching big box close and guess what WE are stronger and tougher than ever!

Message 1507 of 2,000

I just received a offer.. Half of what I received before.

Message 1508 of 2,000

Awesome! What percentage were you at? 

Message 1509 of 2,000

86%

Message 1510 of 2,000
Square Champion

Great news 👏 I am sorry it is less than expected, but hopefully, it helps you out now, and hopefully, this flat line will be over and back to good! Thank you so much 💓 for keeping everyone posted

Message 1511 of 2,000
Beta Member

Made the mistake of making a manual payment Thursday that's posted but still showing as spending in metrics. At 88% so hopefully it goes away quick and I can get an offer

Message 1512 of 2,000