x
Beta Member

New Square Loan in 2024

I’m at a bit of a loss for what else I need to do to be offered a new Square Loan at this point. I’ve been with Square for over 10 years, had 7 loans now that I’ve have paid back early every single time. Metrics are all in green, record sales year. In 2023, record numbers across the board, no refunds, no complaints or issues of any kind in our entire history. Current loan is 80% paid off, but no new offer in site. This is the kind of stuff that causes businesses to find someone else to process through! Please help! I’m sure I’ll get the same old excuses that you guys send to everyone about looking at every aspect of the business. But there isn’t a single aspect that isn’t way up. I’m not sure if there is a new process they are using now, or if there is some kind of issue with my banking or something else I’m not thinking about or aware of. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks, because I could really use some new capital to start the year off with and reinvest into my business!

Message 1 of 2,006
5 Best Answers
Square Champion

Best Answer

I'm really sorry to hear about your frustration with the loan offers. I understand how important it is to feel valued, especially as a loyal customer. Let me try to address your concerns and provide some clarity.

Loan Offers and Qualification Parameters

Square’s loan offers are based on a variety of factors, and while past trends have shown offers at certain thresholds, the exact parameters can change over time and are not always disclosed in detail. Here are a few points to consider:

• Dynamic Criteria: Square uses a complex set of algorithms that take into account not just the repayment percentage but also your recent sales history, account health, and overall business performance.
  • Market Conditions: External market conditions and internal policy changes can also impact when and how loan offers are extended.

Value Beyond Transaction Fees

I understand that a 3% card transaction fee can seem high compared to other providers, but Square offers several features and benefits that help justify this cost:

• Integrated Ecosystem: Square provides a comprehensive suite of tools that work seamlessly together, from point-of-sale systems to online stores, invoicing, and inventory management.
  • Ease of Use: The user-friendly interface and intuitive design make managing your business simpler and more efficient, saving you time and reducing the need for extensive training.
  • Reliable Support: Square offers robust customer support and resources to help you resolve issues quickly and keep your business running smoothly.
  • Secure Transactions: Advanced security measures protect your business and customers from fraud and data breaches.
  • Analytics and Reporting: Detailed analytics and reporting tools help you understand your business performance and make informed decisions.

I understand the disappointment regarding the loan offer, please know that Square regularly reviews its criteria and your status. I recommend reaching out to Square’s customer support for a more personalized review of your account and to express your concerns directly.

View Best Answer >

Message 468 of 2,006
Square Community Moderator

Best Answer

Thank you for reaching out and sharing your concerns. We understand your frustration, especially given your long-standing relationship with Square and your excellent track record with previous loans.

There are several factors that can affect loan offers, and while it sounds like you have met all the typical criteria, there may be new processes or other considerations at play. I would reach out to our Square Financial Services Team if you have any further questions. They are available at 1-855-700-6000 Monday - Friday, 8 AM to 8 PM CST. 

View Best Answer >

Message 875 of 2,006
Square Champion

Best Answer

August 1st Square shareholder letter came out with another outstanding quarter for Square Loans.  More loans than ever were started in the last 3 months, an outstanding show of commitment to the service.
"Square Loans facilitated approximately 142,000 loans totaling $1.45 billion in originations, up 32% year over year."

That breaks down to almost 1,600 loans a day (66 an hour, or more than 1 per 
minute). averaging $10,200+ per loan.

So yes, there are THOUSANDS and THOUSANDS of Square Loans happening all the time.  It is unbelievable that they can get this number of loans even facilitated, that is a staggering number of loans to Square customers.  It wouldn't be possible without the Square Loans Algorithm going thru and promoting offers to be given.  For every one post on here saying they haven't gotten a loan or 5th offer, 10s of thousands have gotten loans.  The service keeps growing though it may not seem like it to a user that is waiting for their 3rd loan.

@Twpchair 

View Best Answer >

Message 1492 of 2,006
Square Champion

Best Answer

Good news, bad news, eh @cmeshine.  There are a number of reasons that COULD be part of why your new offer was lower.

1. Square might be slowing down on how much loan exposure they want to have on their balance sheet.  They are, after all, a publicly traded company that has to answer to their shareholders and investors.
  2. If our sales are flat or at least not growing at a good rate to cover inflation and higher interest, then Square’s algorithm understands that inflation is eating into our available cash to pay bills, etc.  Flat sales (or very slowly growing sales) are always red flags to lenders, Square or not.
  3. Sometimes how long it takes us to pay off our current loans can be a factor.  Let’s say that previous loans were paid off with automatic payments in 8-10 months in the past.  But for this current loan it took us 12-15 months.  That tells Square that our card processing volume can’t keep you with higher loan amounts.  Yes, they give us 18 months to fully pay a loan, but they obviously prefer that we pay them off closer to the 12 month mark.
  4. If our cash/card ratio drastically changes, and cash spikes or is consistently higher than historical for our business, that is another red flag.  Since Square must only consider card volume when calculating repayment rates this can become a problem.

Of course, I’m not saying that any of these contributed to your lower offer.  I’m just throwing out a few reasons why this CAN happen.

Chip

If my answer resolves your issue, please take a minute to mark it as Best Answer. That helps people who find this thread in the future.

Piper’s Ice Cream Bar, Covington KY USA
Website
Facebook
Click here to see a list of third-party apps I use to add functionality to my Square account!

जो है सो है

View Best Answer >

Message 1498 of 2,006
Square Champion

Best Answer

@Twpchair wrote:

Years ago, I went to my credit union and called about a line of credit. Do I need anything, etc, Nope, they had all my paperwork and licenses, and they can look right at my account. I only bank with them.  No kidding in about an hour boom done received a line of credit. Now, I do use that for emergency type situations. But I have it. I just myself like small credit unions vs. bigger banks, just my preference, but they seem to lend faster and more often to small businesses. They did offer a business credit card, and I turned that down over the LOC. I'm old school and I do like Square. I've never been with anyone else, though, to compare. But I swipe that card and 5:05 pm it's in my bank. Loans love them, too. I don't take every offer more so the winter times, or if a deal comes along that I just can't pass up on and an offer came in, I would take it. I'm also one that likes the higher percentage paid back. If I want that loan, I want the most of it and not roll over 30 or 40% of an old loan eating into my new offer. But that's just me. Everyone and their situation is different. I see people with broken equipment or business repairs that need to be done ASAP. That's much different, and I feel for them, and each day I watch hoping they get that offer!

I agree everyone's circumstances are different and things come up randomly.  The biggest thing is like you said, if possible, to pay that thing down to 10% or less is ideal for sure if you can.  Just makes the most sense to me as well.  A 15k loan doesn't mean anything if you are losing 4-5k of that to pay off the previous one. 

Dan
Scorpion Coating Plus,LLC
Square Super Seller
Check out Square support center for additional help.

View Best Answer >

Message 1832 of 2,006
2,005 REPLIES 2,005

Here's to a new week! Had a great processing day yesterday! Sales are up and all on green. Lets pray for that good ole algorithm to grab some of us today! 🙏 Prayers to you all for a great week! 

Message 757 of 2,006

5 year square business. Doing 300k annually. Still on pace for that this year. 78% paid off and for the first time ever I am ineligible. Just switched to that today. Crazily enough it was due to processing volume which isn’t any different than any other week. Every transaction we do is processed through square. Anyone else have this experience? Did it rebound quickly back to eligible? 

Message 758 of 2,006

this is in no way a gurantee but just in my case...my last offer I received I had the same thing happen the week before I had a new offer pop up. It reverted from not enough volume to green again in like 2 days and then the new offer showed up the following week. 

Message 759 of 2,006

Well it still says ineligible but the processing was put back in the green. So I assume tomorrow it’ll likely reflect that everything is normal. 

Message 760 of 2,006

Received an offer at 72% after an amazing weekend of sales. We jumped about 10% of our loan amount in 2 days. Typically we get an approval and deposit within the hour, but it’s been a day and it still says pending. I’m hoping our approval comes through soon.

Message 761 of 2,006

Congrats! I had a good Sunday of sales but still waiting on an offer. Hope your approval comes soon! 

Message 762 of 2,006
Square Champion

They have been running about or 2. Watch your dashboard and your loan pie chart and your bank. I knew when my chart went to zero and checked my bank it was there. I did sign the paperwork the day prior but the emails are coming in a Lil slower than it's working behind the scenes. 

Message 763 of 2,006
Beta Member

Can someone from Square Loans please review my account??? I’m at a loss at what else I need to do to be offered a Square Loan again. I’ve been processing with Square for over 15 years and am on my 10th loan currently. I’ve paid back every single loan within 8 months at most and this one will

be no different. Every business metric possible is in green, record sales year, record card processing, record numbers across the board, no refunds, no complaints, no issues of any kind in our entire history with Square. Current loan is 3/4 paid off and no new offer in site. Something has definitely changed over the last 2 years with Square loans offers and this is the kind of stuff that causes businesses like mine to find someone else to process through! Please help! I’m sure I’ll get the same old excuses that you guys send to everyone about looking at every aspect of the business. But there isn’t a single aspect of my business that isn’t way up normal. I’m sorry but I cannot believe there’s just sOme

random computer software out there just randomly generating business owners loans through a confusing algorithm that makes no sense to anyone but it. I’m not buying it. 

Message 764 of 2,006
Beta Member

Unless I’m misreading the usernames, you’ve had 3 loans this year alone then correct? If so it definitely seems like you’re getting reviewed much quicker than the rest of us to be fair.

Message 765 of 2,006

No they said 10 loans received since with square for the past 15 years. But also said takes about 8 months at most to pay any said loan back. That sounds about right. I usually receive an offer every 3-6 months, more so 6 months now as my loans are more towards an accurate number as opposed to my first few. But unless you have some unusual circumstance, no one is manually reviewing any account under a normal circumstance and very few people are getting offers under 85%. From the people that post on here, it seems like it’s been averaging between around 85% and 92%. Some haven’t received loans after being paid back for months,

which is just odd. I’ll be hitting 88% today, so hopefully I’m close. I think everyone is getting frustrated cause they have come to expect them by no more than 75% and that they state on their site, most people get an offer around that number but not guaranteed. 

Message 766 of 2,006
Beta Member

Definitely wishing you the best of luck getting yours soon! (Us as well!)

and I just noticed they started the actual thread and as of January 1st they were on their 7th and now their 10th. Again, maybe I’m misunderstanding what they’re presenting but it reads like they’ve gotten 3 this year.

Message 767 of 2,006

Oh I see what you’re saying.  Well on January 2nd they jumped from 7 to 9 lol.  So first post was maybe a guess. But it sounds like they received one at the beginning of the year, probably their 10th now 6 months later are 75% paid off 🤷‍♂️. So to me I’d say be patient as I’ve only seen a few people get an offer that posts on here getting an offer under 80%. 

what percentage were you at again?  

Message 768 of 2,006
Beta Member

We jumped from 69-74 in the last week and should hit 75 by midday today so maybe, just maybe. This is number 10 for us but it was a huge jump (almost double) our last offer and the first that’s taken us over 6 months (just over 7 currently.) we’re processing significantly higher and paying it down faster regardless but we’ve also been dealing with some weird reporting issues.

our customer mix shows green but it’s also reporting incorrect on our dash and now we’re having to escalate with customer service 🤮 Hoping that’s not holding us up

Message 769 of 2,006

I was at 79% on going into July. From July first to today I will have jumped 9% to 88%. So hopefully we both will have some luck today.  I only do about 3-5 card processing sales per week being a painter. So my loan offers always come after one large sale over my average sale. So hopefully today’s will make it hit. 🤞

Message 770 of 2,006
Square Community Moderator

Hi @SPPhotography1!

Thank you for your post and we understand your frustration.

We are continually re-evaluating your account on a daily basis to determine if you’re eligible to receive another loan.

We can’t guarantee a loan offer even if the key factors displayed on the eligibility page show all “Good.” I understand this isn’t the best experience, so I’ve shared this feedback with the product team.

If you’re eligible for a new loan, you’ll be notified directly on your Square Dashboard and via email.

There are many factors that affect loan eligibility, but the factors listed on the eligibility page are key factors we consider to help you understand our process. There’s no additional information we can share at this time, and we can’t go into further specifics about program requirements because the criteria we use is proprietary.

Let us know if you have any other questions!

Sammie_C
Square Loans Team
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.

Square, the Square logo, Square Financial Services, Square Capital, and others are trademarks of Square, Inc. and/or its subsidiaries. Square Financial Services, Inc. is a wholly owned subsidiary of Square, Inc. All loans are issued by Square Financial Services, Inc. a Utah-Chartered Industrial Bank. Member FDIC. Actual fee depends upon payment card processing history, loan amount and other eligibility factors. A minimum payment of 1/18th of the initial loan balance is required every 60 days and full loan repayment is required within 18 months. Loan eligibility is not guaranteed. All loans are subject to credit approval.
Message 771 of 2,006

Paid off since June 28th no offer yet. Never have been in this situation. Have had 6 loans with square and alway gotten an offer at 60%- 98%. I really need to get one soon. I really love square and have been very loyal. Wish they would let us know what exactly is going on. I’m losing hope. Best of luck to the rest of you still waiting. 

Message 772 of 2,006

I thought you were one of the 2 I’ve seen recently that were 100% paid off without an offer. That scares me. I’m hoping for my 5th offer soon. I’ll be jumping from 86% to around 88.5% today so we shall see. I wish you luck. Keep me posted on if you receive an offer anytime soon as will I.  The one thing is, probably only like a half a percent of all people that have received loans post on here so it’s probably such a small sample size. A lot of these posts I’ve noticed are from us same select number of companies keeping each other posted lol 

Message 773 of 2,006
Beta Member

Your last part is to be honest one of the biggest things. Were a mega small sample size on here and to be honest we’re all different fields/numbers/etc.

all we can do is pray to beat the algorithm lol

Message 774 of 2,006
Square Champion

💯 correct! We are a very small portion that post here. I wish more people would! It helps others a lot. Good luck!

Message 775 of 2,006

And probably like myself, I only come on here and start paying attention until I’m about 2/3rds paid off. I’ll post when I receive a loan, then probably won’t come back for a few months lol

Message 776 of 2,006
Square Champion

You are 💯 correct. square is worldwide, and maybe around the same 100 do I see regular or semi regular. Not everyone posts on here. Most don't use or take advantage of half the tools available. I was up north for 3 days and no phone service (nice). I was hoping most of you would have had an offer. The offers are coming in much higher to pay off for most, I see. A few in the last month in the 80s. Unfortunately, yesterday I jumped on 4 different forums, reviews and reddit and they are stating the same thing. Thank goodness this is our busy season and I have been trying to tuck more away than normal because I don't think we've seen the worst yet. September they will announce if they raise the interest rate again and that affects lenders and their rate increases. We need things to calm down and stay stable and get back to normal! I hate to see businesses kicking butt and still waiting. Hopefully, it breaks loose soon!

Message 777 of 2,006