x
Beta Member

New Square Loan in 2024

I’m at a bit of a loss for what else I need to do to be offered a new Square Loan at this point. I’ve been with Square for over 10 years, had 7 loans now that I’ve have paid back early every single time. Metrics are all in green, record sales year. In 2023, record numbers across the board, no refunds, no complaints or issues of any kind in our entire history. Current loan is 80% paid off, but no new offer in site. This is the kind of stuff that causes businesses to find someone else to process through! Please help! I’m sure I’ll get the same old excuses that you guys send to everyone about looking at every aspect of the business. But there isn’t a single aspect that isn’t way up. I’m not sure if there is a new process they are using now, or if there is some kind of issue with my banking or something else I’m not thinking about or aware of. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks, because I could really use some new capital to start the year off with and reinvest into my business!

Message 1 of 2,001
5 Best Answers
Square Champion

Best Answer

I'm really sorry to hear about your frustration with the loan offers. I understand how important it is to feel valued, especially as a loyal customer. Let me try to address your concerns and provide some clarity.

Loan Offers and Qualification Parameters

Square’s loan offers are based on a variety of factors, and while past trends have shown offers at certain thresholds, the exact parameters can change over time and are not always disclosed in detail. Here are a few points to consider:

• Dynamic Criteria: Square uses a complex set of algorithms that take into account not just the repayment percentage but also your recent sales history, account health, and overall business performance.
  • Market Conditions: External market conditions and internal policy changes can also impact when and how loan offers are extended.

Value Beyond Transaction Fees

I understand that a 3% card transaction fee can seem high compared to other providers, but Square offers several features and benefits that help justify this cost:

• Integrated Ecosystem: Square provides a comprehensive suite of tools that work seamlessly together, from point-of-sale systems to online stores, invoicing, and inventory management.
  • Ease of Use: The user-friendly interface and intuitive design make managing your business simpler and more efficient, saving you time and reducing the need for extensive training.
  • Reliable Support: Square offers robust customer support and resources to help you resolve issues quickly and keep your business running smoothly.
  • Secure Transactions: Advanced security measures protect your business and customers from fraud and data breaches.
  • Analytics and Reporting: Detailed analytics and reporting tools help you understand your business performance and make informed decisions.

I understand the disappointment regarding the loan offer, please know that Square regularly reviews its criteria and your status. I recommend reaching out to Square’s customer support for a more personalized review of your account and to express your concerns directly.

View Best Answer >

Message 468 of 2,001
Square Community Moderator

Best Answer

Thank you for reaching out and sharing your concerns. We understand your frustration, especially given your long-standing relationship with Square and your excellent track record with previous loans.

There are several factors that can affect loan offers, and while it sounds like you have met all the typical criteria, there may be new processes or other considerations at play. I would reach out to our Square Financial Services Team if you have any further questions. They are available at 1-855-700-6000 Monday - Friday, 8 AM to 8 PM CST. 

View Best Answer >

Message 875 of 2,001
Square Champion

Best Answer

August 1st Square shareholder letter came out with another outstanding quarter for Square Loans.  More loans than ever were started in the last 3 months, an outstanding show of commitment to the service.
"Square Loans facilitated approximately 142,000 loans totaling $1.45 billion in originations, up 32% year over year."

That breaks down to almost 1,600 loans a day (66 an hour, or more than 1 per 
minute). averaging $10,200+ per loan.

So yes, there are THOUSANDS and THOUSANDS of Square Loans happening all the time.  It is unbelievable that they can get this number of loans even facilitated, that is a staggering number of loans to Square customers.  It wouldn't be possible without the Square Loans Algorithm going thru and promoting offers to be given.  For every one post on here saying they haven't gotten a loan or 5th offer, 10s of thousands have gotten loans.  The service keeps growing though it may not seem like it to a user that is waiting for their 3rd loan.

@Twpchair 

View Best Answer >

Message 1492 of 2,001
Square Champion

Best Answer

Good news, bad news, eh @cmeshine.  There are a number of reasons that COULD be part of why your new offer was lower.

1. Square might be slowing down on how much loan exposure they want to have on their balance sheet.  They are, after all, a publicly traded company that has to answer to their shareholders and investors.
  2. If our sales are flat or at least not growing at a good rate to cover inflation and higher interest, then Square’s algorithm understands that inflation is eating into our available cash to pay bills, etc.  Flat sales (or very slowly growing sales) are always red flags to lenders, Square or not.
  3. Sometimes how long it takes us to pay off our current loans can be a factor.  Let’s say that previous loans were paid off with automatic payments in 8-10 months in the past.  But for this current loan it took us 12-15 months.  That tells Square that our card processing volume can’t keep you with higher loan amounts.  Yes, they give us 18 months to fully pay a loan, but they obviously prefer that we pay them off closer to the 12 month mark.
  4. If our cash/card ratio drastically changes, and cash spikes or is consistently higher than historical for our business, that is another red flag.  Since Square must only consider card volume when calculating repayment rates this can become a problem.

Of course, I’m not saying that any of these contributed to your lower offer.  I’m just throwing out a few reasons why this CAN happen.

Chip

If my answer resolves your issue, please take a minute to mark it as Best Answer. That helps people who find this thread in the future.

Piper’s Ice Cream Bar, Covington KY USA
Website
Facebook
Click here to see a list of third-party apps I use to add functionality to my Square account!

जो है सो है

View Best Answer >

Message 1498 of 2,001
Square Champion

Best Answer

@Twpchair wrote:

Years ago, I went to my credit union and called about a line of credit. Do I need anything, etc, Nope, they had all my paperwork and licenses, and they can look right at my account. I only bank with them.  No kidding in about an hour boom done received a line of credit. Now, I do use that for emergency type situations. But I have it. I just myself like small credit unions vs. bigger banks, just my preference, but they seem to lend faster and more often to small businesses. They did offer a business credit card, and I turned that down over the LOC. I'm old school and I do like Square. I've never been with anyone else, though, to compare. But I swipe that card and 5:05 pm it's in my bank. Loans love them, too. I don't take every offer more so the winter times, or if a deal comes along that I just can't pass up on and an offer came in, I would take it. I'm also one that likes the higher percentage paid back. If I want that loan, I want the most of it and not roll over 30 or 40% of an old loan eating into my new offer. But that's just me. Everyone and their situation is different. I see people with broken equipment or business repairs that need to be done ASAP. That's much different, and I feel for them, and each day I watch hoping they get that offer!

I agree everyone's circumstances are different and things come up randomly.  The biggest thing is like you said, if possible, to pay that thing down to 10% or less is ideal for sure if you can.  Just makes the most sense to me as well.  A 15k loan doesn't mean anything if you are losing 4-5k of that to pay off the previous one. 

Dan
Scorpion Coating Plus,LLC
Square Super Seller
Check out Square support center for additional help.

View Best Answer >

Message 1832 of 2,001
2,000 REPLIES 2,000

My last offer was like this once i submitted I called the capital department to make sure they received my items and within the next few minutes i received an approval email. This was back in Aug of 2023

Message 505 of 2,001

I'm currently on hold . At least I hope it's with the right department.

Message 506 of 2,001

For me they wanted bank verification & business documentation. I had never been asked for anything before so that was new for me.  Good luck! I hope you get an approval! 

Message 507 of 2,001

And did you get approved after submitting?

Message 508 of 2,001

Yes once they confirmed they received my items a few minutes after I got an approval email stating the funds will be deposited 

Message 509 of 2,001

How much were you both offered?

Message 510 of 2,001

I was offered 13100

Message 511 of 2,001

The last offer was 14,300 in Aug 2023 a lot lower than what was previously offered to me before.  Had a restaurant/ bakery but since closed the doors and went to online orders only which has recently started doing very well and now I’m at 97% paid off on this one and praying an offer comes through soon. 

Message 512 of 2,001

I finally  got through on the phone and she said they did receive it . Takes 1 to 3 business days . And I had emailed the other day and finally got a response so I asked them as well. He said the same thing . 

Message 513 of 2,001

What additional information did they need from you?

Message 514 of 2,001

They didn’t need any when u got my first loan. I’ve never gotten another loan. Yet. Sitting at 58.5% paid off on first loan that was only $1908 (including the fee) so I am praying I’m offered one soon! Just had amazing growth and could use it!!

Message 515 of 2,001

No approval yet so  calling didn't work for me 😂

Message 516 of 2,001

It wouldn’t be connected to the loan but connected to your square dashboard.

Message 517 of 2,001

Doesn't everyone have to connect their bank accounts to receive their money? I remember using the plaid platform and connecting mine last year . Which I had a different bank then. And sometimes I switch depositing to my personal and business. Getting little nervous because it's never taken this long to get an approval, it's usually within minutes . 

Message 518 of 2,001

I never connected my bank. I just use Square for banking for receiving all my payments. It asks to connect an account using plaid, but I never have

Message 519 of 2,001

Has anybody had to wait 1 to 3 days after submitting additional information? Offer was around 3, submitted additional by 345 and still no approval email.. I'm getting nervous even though they say 1 to 3 days.

Message 520 of 2,001

To answer your question… A few loans ago I had to submit a few pieces of information. It did go into my account right away between 3-4 hours. However that was like 2019-2022 I’m not sure when. I do know that I got my loan offer last Monday and I’m used to it going into my account within 30 minutes and it didn’t go into my account till the next day (last Tuesday) after it updated for that day which was around 5pm ish. It will come!!  Most likely tomorrow afternoon. 

Message 521 of 2,001

But you got approval email and one that said money is on the way? Cause I haven't yet... and my dashboard shows old loan and new loan is pending application. 

Message 522 of 2,001

i didnt and that was so weird to me so I thought something was wrong! But I wasn’t feeling good so I ended up going to sleep like a hour after I did the loan application & all that. I got the email the next day and I checked my square account and the money was in there. It was a really strange thing, another buddy of mine who recently switched to square last year after my finally talking him into got his first & second loan already the first one went it fast then the second took the entire 3 days and he didn’t even get the approval email the second loan the money just came in on the 3rd day! 

Message 523 of 2,001

Thank you for this information! I might sleep better knowing it's happened to others now . 

Message 524 of 2,001

I don't use the square checking  account, I use my business checking . Which is the statement they requested to verify. Next time I'll use the square checking so I don't have to wait.

Message 525 of 2,001