x
Beta Member

New Square Loan in 2024

I’m at a bit of a loss for what else I need to do to be offered a new Square Loan at this point. I’ve been with Square for over 10 years, had 7 loans now that I’ve have paid back early every single time. Metrics are all in green, record sales year. In 2023, record numbers across the board, no refunds, no complaints or issues of any kind in our entire history. Current loan is 80% paid off, but no new offer in site. This is the kind of stuff that causes businesses to find someone else to process through! Please help! I’m sure I’ll get the same old excuses that you guys send to everyone about looking at every aspect of the business. But there isn’t a single aspect that isn’t way up. I’m not sure if there is a new process they are using now, or if there is some kind of issue with my banking or something else I’m not thinking about or aware of. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks, because I could really use some new capital to start the year off with and reinvest into my business!

Message 1 of 2,000
5 Best Answers
Square Champion

Best Answer

I'm really sorry to hear about your frustration with the loan offers. I understand how important it is to feel valued, especially as a loyal customer. Let me try to address your concerns and provide some clarity.

Loan Offers and Qualification Parameters

Square’s loan offers are based on a variety of factors, and while past trends have shown offers at certain thresholds, the exact parameters can change over time and are not always disclosed in detail. Here are a few points to consider:

• Dynamic Criteria: Square uses a complex set of algorithms that take into account not just the repayment percentage but also your recent sales history, account health, and overall business performance.
  • Market Conditions: External market conditions and internal policy changes can also impact when and how loan offers are extended.

Value Beyond Transaction Fees

I understand that a 3% card transaction fee can seem high compared to other providers, but Square offers several features and benefits that help justify this cost:

• Integrated Ecosystem: Square provides a comprehensive suite of tools that work seamlessly together, from point-of-sale systems to online stores, invoicing, and inventory management.
  • Ease of Use: The user-friendly interface and intuitive design make managing your business simpler and more efficient, saving you time and reducing the need for extensive training.
  • Reliable Support: Square offers robust customer support and resources to help you resolve issues quickly and keep your business running smoothly.
  • Secure Transactions: Advanced security measures protect your business and customers from fraud and data breaches.
  • Analytics and Reporting: Detailed analytics and reporting tools help you understand your business performance and make informed decisions.

I understand the disappointment regarding the loan offer, please know that Square regularly reviews its criteria and your status. I recommend reaching out to Square’s customer support for a more personalized review of your account and to express your concerns directly.

View Best Answer >

Message 468 of 2,000
Square Community Moderator

Best Answer

Thank you for reaching out and sharing your concerns. We understand your frustration, especially given your long-standing relationship with Square and your excellent track record with previous loans.

There are several factors that can affect loan offers, and while it sounds like you have met all the typical criteria, there may be new processes or other considerations at play. I would reach out to our Square Financial Services Team if you have any further questions. They are available at 1-855-700-6000 Monday - Friday, 8 AM to 8 PM CST. 

View Best Answer >

Message 875 of 2,000
Square Champion

Best Answer

August 1st Square shareholder letter came out with another outstanding quarter for Square Loans.  More loans than ever were started in the last 3 months, an outstanding show of commitment to the service.
"Square Loans facilitated approximately 142,000 loans totaling $1.45 billion in originations, up 32% year over year."

That breaks down to almost 1,600 loans a day (66 an hour, or more than 1 per 
minute). averaging $10,200+ per loan.

So yes, there are THOUSANDS and THOUSANDS of Square Loans happening all the time.  It is unbelievable that they can get this number of loans even facilitated, that is a staggering number of loans to Square customers.  It wouldn't be possible without the Square Loans Algorithm going thru and promoting offers to be given.  For every one post on here saying they haven't gotten a loan or 5th offer, 10s of thousands have gotten loans.  The service keeps growing though it may not seem like it to a user that is waiting for their 3rd loan.

@Twpchair 

View Best Answer >

Message 1492 of 2,000
Square Champion

Best Answer

Good news, bad news, eh @cmeshine.  There are a number of reasons that COULD be part of why your new offer was lower.

1. Square might be slowing down on how much loan exposure they want to have on their balance sheet.  They are, after all, a publicly traded company that has to answer to their shareholders and investors.
  2. If our sales are flat or at least not growing at a good rate to cover inflation and higher interest, then Square’s algorithm understands that inflation is eating into our available cash to pay bills, etc.  Flat sales (or very slowly growing sales) are always red flags to lenders, Square or not.
  3. Sometimes how long it takes us to pay off our current loans can be a factor.  Let’s say that previous loans were paid off with automatic payments in 8-10 months in the past.  But for this current loan it took us 12-15 months.  That tells Square that our card processing volume can’t keep you with higher loan amounts.  Yes, they give us 18 months to fully pay a loan, but they obviously prefer that we pay them off closer to the 12 month mark.
  4. If our cash/card ratio drastically changes, and cash spikes or is consistently higher than historical for our business, that is another red flag.  Since Square must only consider card volume when calculating repayment rates this can become a problem.

Of course, I’m not saying that any of these contributed to your lower offer.  I’m just throwing out a few reasons why this CAN happen.

Chip

If my answer resolves your issue, please take a minute to mark it as Best Answer. That helps people who find this thread in the future.

Piper’s Ice Cream Bar, Covington KY USA
Website
Facebook
Click here to see a list of third-party apps I use to add functionality to my Square account!

जो है सो है

View Best Answer >

Message 1498 of 2,000
Square Champion

Best Answer

@Twpchair wrote:

Years ago, I went to my credit union and called about a line of credit. Do I need anything, etc, Nope, they had all my paperwork and licenses, and they can look right at my account. I only bank with them.  No kidding in about an hour boom done received a line of credit. Now, I do use that for emergency type situations. But I have it. I just myself like small credit unions vs. bigger banks, just my preference, but they seem to lend faster and more often to small businesses. They did offer a business credit card, and I turned that down over the LOC. I'm old school and I do like Square. I've never been with anyone else, though, to compare. But I swipe that card and 5:05 pm it's in my bank. Loans love them, too. I don't take every offer more so the winter times, or if a deal comes along that I just can't pass up on and an offer came in, I would take it. I'm also one that likes the higher percentage paid back. If I want that loan, I want the most of it and not roll over 30 or 40% of an old loan eating into my new offer. But that's just me. Everyone and their situation is different. I see people with broken equipment or business repairs that need to be done ASAP. That's much different, and I feel for them, and each day I watch hoping they get that offer!

I agree everyone's circumstances are different and things come up randomly.  The biggest thing is like you said, if possible, to pay that thing down to 10% or less is ideal for sure if you can.  Just makes the most sense to me as well.  A 15k loan doesn't mean anything if you are losing 4-5k of that to pay off the previous one. 

Dan
Scorpion Coating Plus,LLC
Square Super Seller
Check out Square support center for additional help.

View Best Answer >

Message 1832 of 2,000
1,999 REPLIES 1,999

I was hoping for one as well. 97% now and still nothing! Hoping today will be the lucky day! 🙏

Message 463 of 2,000

I’m starting to think that offers may come in when the new loan would incorporate 10% or less of an old loan remaining? That seems to be the numbers I’m seeing. Also people who’ve had numerous loans seem to have steady business which is where the loans were supposed to get them so their offers slowed down. 

Message 464 of 2,000

I used to get Square loan offer in the past when 3/4th loan is paid off. But now even at 95% paid off with all factors in Green there is no offer from Square.

I am very disappointment that I have been giving business to Square since 2021 even though Square offers high card transaction fee i.e. 3% compare to other competitors. 

The only reason I have been using Square is because their loan structure is easy to payoff and lower interest. But it looks like Square is not interested in loyalty of customers by not offering loan at 95% paid off loan.

I really want to be with Square but if Square does not offer loan then I will look for another card processing company who value their loyal customer.

Message 465 of 2,000
Square Champion

Hello @Town1134 !

Unfortunately, Square's loan determination parameters aren't fully known to us sellers. There are a lot of little things that can cause the loan offer to be postponed. Your best bet is to hang tight and hopefully the approval will come sooner than later.

If the loan product is the only thing keeping you with Square, I understand your desire to seek out greener pastures--you have to do what is best for your business. Personally, even with no loan offers on the table, I have found Square's feature set to be extremely beneficial to my business. The loans are just the cherry on top for me.

I know this isn't what you want to hear, but if you search through the community you'll see a lot of loan related questions all with basically the same response as I gave you here. Best of luck!

Ryan Wanner
Golden Pine Coffee Roasters
Colorado Springs, CO, USA

Square Champion: I know stuff.
Beta Tester: I break stuff.
he/him/hey you/coffee guy/whatever.

Happy Selling!
Message 466 of 2,000

Did you ever get an offer 

Message 467 of 2,000
Square Champion

Best Answer

I'm really sorry to hear about your frustration with the loan offers. I understand how important it is to feel valued, especially as a loyal customer. Let me try to address your concerns and provide some clarity.

Loan Offers and Qualification Parameters

Square’s loan offers are based on a variety of factors, and while past trends have shown offers at certain thresholds, the exact parameters can change over time and are not always disclosed in detail. Here are a few points to consider:

• Dynamic Criteria: Square uses a complex set of algorithms that take into account not just the repayment percentage but also your recent sales history, account health, and overall business performance.
  • Market Conditions: External market conditions and internal policy changes can also impact when and how loan offers are extended.

Value Beyond Transaction Fees

I understand that a 3% card transaction fee can seem high compared to other providers, but Square offers several features and benefits that help justify this cost:

• Integrated Ecosystem: Square provides a comprehensive suite of tools that work seamlessly together, from point-of-sale systems to online stores, invoicing, and inventory management.
  • Ease of Use: The user-friendly interface and intuitive design make managing your business simpler and more efficient, saving you time and reducing the need for extensive training.
  • Reliable Support: Square offers robust customer support and resources to help you resolve issues quickly and keep your business running smoothly.
  • Secure Transactions: Advanced security measures protect your business and customers from fraud and data breaches.
  • Analytics and Reporting: Detailed analytics and reporting tools help you understand your business performance and make informed decisions.

I understand the disappointment regarding the loan offer, please know that Square regularly reviews its criteria and your status. I recommend reaching out to Square’s customer support for a more personalized review of your account and to express your concerns directly.

Message 468 of 2,000

HELLO, OUR BUSINESS HAS PAID THE LOAN, 14 DAYS HAVE BEEN GIVEN A NEW OFFER

Message 469 of 2,000

Congrats! Was the offer given today? Just curious? Been paid off for 15 days now hopefully they’re moving along today!

Message 470 of 2,000

So frustrating, we have received 7 loans always got new offers at 70 to 75%. We are now at 96% always paid on time, everything in green and good. We are now in our slowest time and could really use a new loan and no offers in sight. Every time I call I feel we just get a standard answer  .."when you qualify you will be notified on your dash boards like I'm cattle and not important. We are a new business and don't want to get another POS system but might be forced to, someone please help if you can. 

Message 471 of 2,000

Sounds like you’re like the rest of us waiting. I always would get one at 60-70% and now I’ve been paid off for a month and no new offer everything on green and good standing. It’s so frustrating 

Message 472 of 2,000
Square Champion

I don't work for Square, but I follow the trends. Unfortunately, it's going like last summer. June, July, and early August was rough, and then all of sudden, it was booming out loans. There are so many if you scroll down that are upper 90% paid off or completely paid off and still waiting. The good Ole days of 70-75 % paid off as of right now seems to be gone on the whole. You might see 1-2 post I just got an offer at 75% paid off but on the whole it's higher percentage paid back or completely paid off. Good luck to you and everyone waiting! 

Message 473 of 2,000

Hello, I have been keeping track of the trends and it seems like yall have stopped offering food service/restaurants loans. Are you able to share some light on this? I have called my account manager and he stated that he was out of the loop and hasn’t heard of anything and will discuss with his colleagues in square banking but i haven’t gotten a call back. I understand that these loans are not guaranteed and I know it’s through an algorithm I’ve heard it all several times already but as loyal customers and small  business owners entrusting y’all with our sales and money we like to know what’s going on and what has changed in the loans department. I have had 6 loans with you guys and all have been paid back way before the due dates and had offers in the 60’s- 80% range. I AM NOW PAID OFF FOR OVER A MONTH and nothing. It’s so hard to understand. Then reading so many forums about capital and others paid off with no offer and most all seem to be in the food industry makes me think as square customers we deserve an honest direct answer. Don’t leave us hanging and wondering if we are ever going to be offered another loan. I can’t even go elsewhere for financing cause I do my business banking with you guys and no one will accept square bank statements so y’all have really put a lot of us in a bind. I really hope things start moving for us food industry people. It’s heartbreaking to see so many waiting and paid off for a while already. Praying for some answers or an offer soon 🙏 Thank you 

Message 474 of 2,000
Beta Member

I don't think it has anything to do with the food industry, but thats just my opinion.   I expierenced this once back a few years ago.  I was getting loan after loan then all of sudden they stopped.   it was like 6 months before I was offered a new loan.   No reason why they just kept saying the same generic response.    I do not know your situation though  Just giving you my history.    One thing is for sure, I wouldn't base it on what others expierence is.   Square loans seem to have a mind of their own and no real baseline on what one needs to meet requirements.   As frustrated as we get we need to remember these are non traditional loans so we really do not have a say.     And believe me this easier said than done!! I am not near my 75% mark but I am still wishing and hoping it still comes even though I know it won't!!!  HAHA

Message 475 of 2,000

All criteria’s has been met! Yet no offer! 🤦‍♀️😌 very disappointing. 

Message 476 of 2,000
Beta Member

Hopefully,  everyone will get an offer soon. We pay a lot of fees just to be overlooked for an offer. 

Message 477 of 2,000

I’m unsure if I need to continue processing through square…. My business has always been in the green metrics, we’ve had 2 loans 100% paid off within 2-3 months. We were awaiting another loan offer at some point but still to this day haven’t received anything. Sales are at a record level, no disputes, complaints, all green metrics, no loan denials (evidently no application has been ran). I’m lost in this process, if it’s the economy or risk it’s ok just SAY SOMETHING!!!

Message 478 of 2,000
Square Champion

@Marinetx I’m sorry that you are in a position that the absence of a Square Loan is the deciding factor of whether or not you will continue processing card payments with Square.  I know it’s not easy to expect something and not have it materialize.  But, since you mentioned the economy, I’ll say a few things here.

Square isn’t going to say this, and neither will any card processor who offers MCA loans.  But, of course it is the economy — specifically the lending market worldwide, the persistent high interest rates for borrowing, and the worry of the market that a recessions is still possible.  Of course, this week the Fed gave strong indications that interest rates will be going down soon, which is good.  And, all indications are that the much feared recession is not going to materialize, thankfully.  But, even with those good signs we have a ways to go before nerves are calmed.

Square, like any other publicly traded business, has to balance a lot when making loans.  First, they have shareholders who will be very upset if Square’s balance sheet isn’t healthy — ie - has too many loans that are considered risky.  Also, being too heavy in outstanding loans isn’t considered healthy for a publicly traded company.

I’ll also mention that the loan status page is not and never has been a GUARANTEE of a loan offer.  It is there to help us quickly see problems with our accounts so that we can hopefully correct them. But I’ve read more than a few posts here from sellers who have been “green” for months and still not been offered a loan.  There can be many factors for this — flat sales, more cash sales than usual (which hurt loan offers since loan repayments are from card sales).  The point is that this page is what it is — a guide and a checklist.  Being green does not mean that loans will come, and that should not be read into anything on that page.  When the loan algorithm is ready to offer a loan, it will, and not one — not even Square employees — can do anything to influence or override that.  That is a fact of life.

Lastly, I would caution against jumping ship to a new processor solely on the basis of possible loan offers.  First, they all promises that you’ll get loans, but all of them work exactly the same way as Square does.  When their algorithms are ready to offer loans, they do, and it’s a completely automated process.  Also, switching processors effectively resets the clock and new sellers rarely get loan offers before 6 months or even a year.  Further, they all look at processing history with them, only.  So loan offers from a new processor will be much lower than what you could possibly get eventually with Square.  The grass is never greener on the other side, I’m afraid.  It’s just more grass.

I know you are frustrated.  But don’t do anything now that you’ll regret later.  I know business owners who have and understand now how foolish they were.  If you really need a loan for your business to survive, then you should reach out to your local bank.  SBA loans are pretty good right now and even though they are taking a while the rates aren’t bad.  The Fed will start lowering rates soon which will help all lenders worldwide.  It’s just going to take time.  You mentioned that you’ve had two loans.  That makes you a pretty new loan customer, still.  Some have had dozens and even they are waiting longer now, and waiting longer for less money than usual.  

Lastly, try to remember that Square is not a lender.  They are a card processing company that also lends money for very short-term cash needs.  Their lending policies are theirs to make and follow and they do not owe us loan offers, period.  Having said that, I hope this helps a little, even if just to convince you that you are not alone.  And, in closing, I wish you well and hope things work out for you.

Chip

If my answer resolves your issue, please take a minute to mark it as Best Answer. That helps people who find this thread in the future.

Piper’s Ice Cream Bar, Covington KY USA
Website
Facebook
Click here to see a list of third-party apps I use to add functionality to my Square account!

जो है सो है
Message 479 of 2,000

I have done everything that I was supposed to do on my current loan and I still haven't got a new loan offer I'm at 83% and my loan is paid way down and usually I have gotten I a new loan offer by now

Message 480 of 2,000
Square Champion

Hi @Mikelike26 

You are on your way to paying git off.  You can check out this thread here for the latest and "trending" so to speak % that to her users are seeing offers at.  Keep processing sales and you'll have that paid off before you know it!

Dan
Scorpion Coating Plus,LLC
Square Super Seller
Check out Square support center for additional help.

Message 481 of 2,000
Square Champion

Message 482 of 2,000
Beta Member

Hello, I am in the same boat as you. I’ve paid my loan which was $33,000. I’ve paid 77% plus. My sales have been great. I am a small operation and I use these funds every time to grow and sustain during this slower summer months. I’ve been with Square over 10 years. My last loan they offered me a new loan and only 52% or something like that. I thought for sure once I got to 75% on this new one I get a new offer and for some reason, I haven’t seen it yet and it’s very frustrating and disappointing. I hope they come through soon.

Message 483 of 2,000