x
Beta Member

New Square Loan in 2024

I’m at a bit of a loss for what else I need to do to be offered a new Square Loan at this point. I’ve been with Square for over 10 years, had 7 loans now that I’ve have paid back early every single time. Metrics are all in green, record sales year. In 2023, record numbers across the board, no refunds, no complaints or issues of any kind in our entire history. Current loan is 80% paid off, but no new offer in site. This is the kind of stuff that causes businesses to find someone else to process through! Please help! I’m sure I’ll get the same old excuses that you guys send to everyone about looking at every aspect of the business. But there isn’t a single aspect that isn’t way up. I’m not sure if there is a new process they are using now, or if there is some kind of issue with my banking or something else I’m not thinking about or aware of. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks, because I could really use some new capital to start the year off with and reinvest into my business!

Message 1 of 2,007
5 Best Answers
Square Champion

Best Answer

I'm really sorry to hear about your frustration with the loan offers. I understand how important it is to feel valued, especially as a loyal customer. Let me try to address your concerns and provide some clarity.

Loan Offers and Qualification Parameters

Square’s loan offers are based on a variety of factors, and while past trends have shown offers at certain thresholds, the exact parameters can change over time and are not always disclosed in detail. Here are a few points to consider:

• Dynamic Criteria: Square uses a complex set of algorithms that take into account not just the repayment percentage but also your recent sales history, account health, and overall business performance.
  • Market Conditions: External market conditions and internal policy changes can also impact when and how loan offers are extended.

Value Beyond Transaction Fees

I understand that a 3% card transaction fee can seem high compared to other providers, but Square offers several features and benefits that help justify this cost:

• Integrated Ecosystem: Square provides a comprehensive suite of tools that work seamlessly together, from point-of-sale systems to online stores, invoicing, and inventory management.
  • Ease of Use: The user-friendly interface and intuitive design make managing your business simpler and more efficient, saving you time and reducing the need for extensive training.
  • Reliable Support: Square offers robust customer support and resources to help you resolve issues quickly and keep your business running smoothly.
  • Secure Transactions: Advanced security measures protect your business and customers from fraud and data breaches.
  • Analytics and Reporting: Detailed analytics and reporting tools help you understand your business performance and make informed decisions.

I understand the disappointment regarding the loan offer, please know that Square regularly reviews its criteria and your status. I recommend reaching out to Square’s customer support for a more personalized review of your account and to express your concerns directly.

View Best Answer >

Message 468 of 2,007
Square Community Moderator

Best Answer

Thank you for reaching out and sharing your concerns. We understand your frustration, especially given your long-standing relationship with Square and your excellent track record with previous loans.

There are several factors that can affect loan offers, and while it sounds like you have met all the typical criteria, there may be new processes or other considerations at play. I would reach out to our Square Financial Services Team if you have any further questions. They are available at 1-855-700-6000 Monday - Friday, 8 AM to 8 PM CST. 

View Best Answer >

Message 875 of 2,007
Square Champion

Best Answer

August 1st Square shareholder letter came out with another outstanding quarter for Square Loans.  More loans than ever were started in the last 3 months, an outstanding show of commitment to the service.
"Square Loans facilitated approximately 142,000 loans totaling $1.45 billion in originations, up 32% year over year."

That breaks down to almost 1,600 loans a day (66 an hour, or more than 1 per 
minute). averaging $10,200+ per loan.

So yes, there are THOUSANDS and THOUSANDS of Square Loans happening all the time.  It is unbelievable that they can get this number of loans even facilitated, that is a staggering number of loans to Square customers.  It wouldn't be possible without the Square Loans Algorithm going thru and promoting offers to be given.  For every one post on here saying they haven't gotten a loan or 5th offer, 10s of thousands have gotten loans.  The service keeps growing though it may not seem like it to a user that is waiting for their 3rd loan.

@Twpchair 

View Best Answer >

Message 1492 of 2,007
Square Champion

Best Answer

Good news, bad news, eh @cmeshine.  There are a number of reasons that COULD be part of why your new offer was lower.

1. Square might be slowing down on how much loan exposure they want to have on their balance sheet.  They are, after all, a publicly traded company that has to answer to their shareholders and investors.
  2. If our sales are flat or at least not growing at a good rate to cover inflation and higher interest, then Square’s algorithm understands that inflation is eating into our available cash to pay bills, etc.  Flat sales (or very slowly growing sales) are always red flags to lenders, Square or not.
  3. Sometimes how long it takes us to pay off our current loans can be a factor.  Let’s say that previous loans were paid off with automatic payments in 8-10 months in the past.  But for this current loan it took us 12-15 months.  That tells Square that our card processing volume can’t keep you with higher loan amounts.  Yes, they give us 18 months to fully pay a loan, but they obviously prefer that we pay them off closer to the 12 month mark.
  4. If our cash/card ratio drastically changes, and cash spikes or is consistently higher than historical for our business, that is another red flag.  Since Square must only consider card volume when calculating repayment rates this can become a problem.

Of course, I’m not saying that any of these contributed to your lower offer.  I’m just throwing out a few reasons why this CAN happen.

Chip

If my answer resolves your issue, please take a minute to mark it as Best Answer. That helps people who find this thread in the future.

Piper’s Ice Cream Bar, Covington KY USA
Website
Facebook
Click here to see a list of third-party apps I use to add functionality to my Square account!

जो है सो है

View Best Answer >

Message 1498 of 2,007
Square Champion

Best Answer

@Twpchair wrote:

Years ago, I went to my credit union and called about a line of credit. Do I need anything, etc, Nope, they had all my paperwork and licenses, and they can look right at my account. I only bank with them.  No kidding in about an hour boom done received a line of credit. Now, I do use that for emergency type situations. But I have it. I just myself like small credit unions vs. bigger banks, just my preference, but they seem to lend faster and more often to small businesses. They did offer a business credit card, and I turned that down over the LOC. I'm old school and I do like Square. I've never been with anyone else, though, to compare. But I swipe that card and 5:05 pm it's in my bank. Loans love them, too. I don't take every offer more so the winter times, or if a deal comes along that I just can't pass up on and an offer came in, I would take it. I'm also one that likes the higher percentage paid back. If I want that loan, I want the most of it and not roll over 30 or 40% of an old loan eating into my new offer. But that's just me. Everyone and their situation is different. I see people with broken equipment or business repairs that need to be done ASAP. That's much different, and I feel for them, and each day I watch hoping they get that offer!

I agree everyone's circumstances are different and things come up randomly.  The biggest thing is like you said, if possible, to pay that thing down to 10% or less is ideal for sure if you can.  Just makes the most sense to me as well.  A 15k loan doesn't mean anything if you are losing 4-5k of that to pay off the previous one. 

Dan
Scorpion Coating Plus,LLC
Square Super Seller
Check out Square support center for additional help.

View Best Answer >

Message 1832 of 2,007
2,006 REPLIES 2,006
Square Champion

now that you're out from under the pressure of paying back a loan, take 5% of your sales (a quarter of what was being taken to pay back the loan) and put it into a savings account each night so that it is there to hit instead of hitting another not free loan.  Do your best to stay out of getting more loans and you can start building that business up so much faster when you get to keep the money at the end.

Congrats on getting it paid off.

Message 358 of 2,007
Square Champion

Hello, can you send me a private message in super sellers, please! Thank you 😊 

Message 359 of 2,007
Square Champion

Thank you, I have been waiting to see if or when you get an offer! Good luck!

Message 360 of 2,007

Ive now paid off 77% of a $22,900 dollar loan. In the past its offered me loans when I was only 60% paid off. Theres no set amount and alot of factors go into getting a new loan the best thing to do is just keep proccessing. 

Message 361 of 2,007
Square Champion

Yes, unfortunately, the percentage is trending higher if not paid off. All you can do is keep plugging away! Good luck!

Message 362 of 2,007

Just wanted to update everyone in case it’s helpful… 87% paid off on 30k loan. Just received an offer for 10k less. Trying to refrain from accepting it. 😬

Message 363 of 2,007
Square Champion

Congratulations! Thank you for the update! And honestly how you run your business or your needs that's all on you really. I'm sorry it's lower but it's been trending lower or the same as the last loan! I just appreciate you posting and keeping everyone informed! It really does help. You can scroll down and read and maybe that might help you make your decision. Good luck regardless of what you choose!

Message 364 of 2,007

I’ve been following this post for a while now, I’m at 90% on a $10k loan. My husband who also uses Square and processes far less than me just received an offer (lower than his last) at 82%. Still nothing for me. Very frustrating as I use their platform to process much more than his and have all green metrics, and have paid off my loan faster than him. But just to give some people in the 80%’s some hope. Hopefully we get some more transparency soon.

Message 365 of 2,007
Square Champion

Congratulations to your husband! I know it's frustrating and hard to figure out! That's the million dollar question for sure! Thank you,  for posting it really does help others that are waiting and wondering also. 

Message 366 of 2,007

Just wanted to update everyone I recieved an offer today at %77 paid off The new offer is slightly Higher than my last  Good luck everyone and may all your businesses prosper

Message 367 of 2,007
Square Champion

Congratulations! That's about 6 people posting now this week! Looks like things are rolling along (fingers crossed) don't want to jinx anything! 

Message 368 of 2,007

Since December 1, we’ve paid off loans of $1,350, $3,500, $7,500, and $10,500. Still no loan offer after paying off $10,500 last week. Paid that off in 60 days. I thought for sure we’d get an offer. 

Message 369 of 2,007
Beta Member

Same! Paid off 100% and nothing 

Message 370 of 2,007

Those loan amounts are not including fees we paid as well. We basically paid off $25K in 6 months time. That’s a brand new car paid in full!! Where’s our next loan offer?? Clearly you’re making money off us. 

Message 371 of 2,007
Square Champion

sounds like you are really doing some good business to get your loan paid off in 6 months.  Try your best to just keep on selling and processing and not take out another loan as that will help you keep even more of your profit.  I understand at times you have to in order to keep going.

Message 372 of 2,007
Square Champion

This right here! He is banging it! Keep up the great job and great work and let it roll! 

Message 373 of 2,007

Have you gotten an offer yet?

Message 374 of 2,007
Beta Member

Not yet and had a busy last week and weekend. Going on a couple weeks now fully paid off. Never happened before. 

Message 375 of 2,007

Have you gotten an offer yet, if not how long ago did you pay your loan off?

Message 376 of 2,007
Beta Member

Not yet 100% paid off too

Message 377 of 2,007

i’m 57% paid off but received another loan offer last week.  i didn’t move fast enough & now it’s not available but they are still giving them out. 

Message 378 of 2,007