x

Using Unit Cost on Invoices

Is there a way to charge the unit cost of an item on the invoice portion of Square, rather than the retail price? For example, our staff pay for items and get charged the cost of the item rather than retail price.  We thought about just charging a discount but the markup varies on items so the discount would not be the same across each sale.  We also don't want to duplicate items in the library to have two different sets of pricing.  Any suggestions?

Message 1 of 3
1 Best Answer
Square Champion

Best Answer

HI @GS465.  There is no way to automatically do this, currently.  I checked and don’t see that anyone has made a feature request for this either.  So, my first suggestion is for you to submit a feature request to the Invoices Team here.  I could see this taking one of two forms for the request — either having the option to add an item to an Invoice at cost, OR giving us the ability to create “hidden” variations that do not show up in our online store.  But you might have a third possibility.

I understand that you have different markups.  Is it at all possible that your markups are at least category based?  That Category1 items have a x%, Category2 items have y%, etc?  If so, you could create those discount codes and apply them as needed to employee invoices.  Otherwise, I just can’t think of anyway to do this currently.

Regards,

Chip

If my answer resolves your issue, please take a minute to mark it as Best Answer. That helps people who find this thread in the future.

Piper’s Ice Cream Bar, Covington KY USA
Website
Facebook
Click here to see a list of third-party apps I use to add functionality to my Square account!

जो है सो है

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Square Champion

Best Answer

HI @GS465.  There is no way to automatically do this, currently.  I checked and don’t see that anyone has made a feature request for this either.  So, my first suggestion is for you to submit a feature request to the Invoices Team here.  I could see this taking one of two forms for the request — either having the option to add an item to an Invoice at cost, OR giving us the ability to create “hidden” variations that do not show up in our online store.  But you might have a third possibility.

I understand that you have different markups.  Is it at all possible that your markups are at least category based?  That Category1 items have a x%, Category2 items have y%, etc?  If so, you could create those discount codes and apply them as needed to employee invoices.  Otherwise, I just can’t think of anyway to do this currently.

Regards,

Chip

If my answer resolves your issue, please take a minute to mark it as Best Answer. That helps people who find this thread in the future.

Piper’s Ice Cream Bar, Covington KY USA
Website
Facebook
Click here to see a list of third-party apps I use to add functionality to my Square account!

जो है सो है
Message 2 of 3

Thanks Chip, I'll go ahead and submit a feature request.  It looked like maybe the paid subscription of Square for Invoicing allowed me to do it but I wasn't sure.  Glad to be able to get clarification on that.

I'll look into the category discounts to see if maybe that is something we can implement ourselves.  I know our Retail Manager has spent some time looking into it (I'm the IT guy) but I'll relay this to her to see if it's feasible on her end.

Message 3 of 3