x

Adding sales tax and shipping & handling to the invoice

I am new to all of this and doing an internet clothing business and am lost. How do I add the sales tax and shipping and handling fees to my invoices? I have tried everything and can't figure it out. Thank you

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Super Seller Alumni

@jennifer73,

Tax is done at the item level.  Created the Tax and make sure you assign it to each item.  This will provide your tax on the invoice.  

Shipping and handling you would have to do by creating a Shipping and Handling item.  If you create a variable item (no price) you can then enter the amount you want.

Now you said internet business, so if you are using Square's online store then please know...

The tax will only be applied to your state.

Shipping and Handling you set a base rate flat rate charge into the store settings.   You can add extra shipping on a per item bases.

Message 2 of 7

How do you save an item without giving it a price?

Message 3 of 7
Super Seller Alumni

Just leave the price empty.

Message 4 of 7

First, go to your Dashboard and then select Items.  Then, at the top, select Taxes.  If you don't have at least one tax listed here that you set up, then that is your problem.  You have create a tax here before you can assign it to an item.  For me, the state and county both charge a tax that is combined.  So I have a tax labeled County/State Tax and I give it my rate based on where I'm selling... for me that is 7%.

Once this is done.  When you add or edit an item, one of the fields is tax.  You turn on the tax that applies to that item and then when you sell it, the item will be taxed and Square will track it for you.

Hope this helps.

Message 5 of 7

how do i add a handling fee plus a fee for each item purchased

Message 6 of 7
Square Community Moderator

Hi @acooksponder Welcome to the Community 👋

You would need to create a separate item and add this line to the invoice. Alternatively, you could create a modifier to add to each of the items. 

Message 7 of 7