x

Survey with Option to Tip

I am a chauffeur that operates a luxury car service.  Since nearly all of my customers pay their invoice at the time of reservation,  asking for feedback on the receipt doesn't;t work well because the service hasn't been performed yet. 

I'm wondering if there is a way that I could initiate a simple 5-star rating request text to the client at the time the ride is completed rather than at the time of payment (okay to do this manually). At the same time, ask if the client woud like to tip the driver and then process that tip directly through square (card on file or Apple Pay).

If you are familiar with Uber, this scenario is similar to the rating you give when you are done with a ride. 

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1

I don't think there's a way to do this as you would like. You can't send an order without a price added.

For example, you could send an invoice for $1, with the info you want to share.

This would allow them to give feedback and add a tip, but you can't send it as a $0 invoice where a tip could be added.

This applies to checkout links also.

In short, they would have to be willing to spend the minimum $1 charge to add a tip.

I think the best solution would be to charge for the service at the end of the trip so they can leave a tip and feedback.

Make sure if you're taking payment with an invoice that you have turned the tip option on for invoices.

You can also Add a Payment Schedule to an invoice.

You could collect a deposit upfront (which covers cancellations) and the balance on the due date.

You can set a % or $ amount. 

If you use invoices plus, you can split the balance into "milestones" and collect amounts in stages.

Just be sure to turn of the ACH payment option.

For instance, you might collect a deposit of 10% of the ride fee upfront, then 80% of the total at the time of service (or maybe the day of an hour before to ensure they don't cancel), then the balance at the end of the trip, which should allow the customer to tip.

Just be sure your contracts, cancellation policies, etc cover this type of scenario and that you're following your state/local laws.

I haven't used invoices plus, so I am not certain if you can set milestones on the same date.
If not, my exact scenario above may not work. But you could still charge a deposit, then the balance at the end of the trip.

So maybe increase the deposit if this is the case, or you don't want to subscribe to invoices plus which is $20/month according to this square support article. https://squareup.com/help/us/en/article/7650-compare-invoices-free-and-invoices-plus  

You could consider adding a service charge as auto-gratuity, at least for certain trips, say longer ones that are inherently more expensive or over a certain distance. 

Message 2 of 2