x

Feedback on Weebly / Square adding items inventory Update

The title of this thread has been edited by a Square Moderator from the original: "Weebly / Square adding items inventory Update = DANGEROUS to retailers who sell alcohol."

This new update to weebly is horrible.
That extra step to "add from the library" is very bad for us liquor stores.

Because any item we import is put online instantly without checking off that the product contains alcohol. 

If one of us imports an item, then gets pulled away, distracted, or has an emergency, then it's game over for us if some kid buys the product and it gets delivered to them.

The drivers only check when their systems tells them to.
But the system won't know if something has alcohol unless we check off the box.

I'm not losing my license, paying fees, or any other issues because Weeby / Square added this extra step.

If you guys care, you'll revert it back to how it was.
Not that anyone cares, but I'm not risking it, I'll change companies.

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8

This sounds like it must be a glitch, because whenever I add items to my online library they are marked as unavailable, and it's been like that for as far back as I can remember. I have to go in and change the visibility to visible once I'm ready to start selling the item online. 

Are your items being marked as visible as soon as you add them to Square Online? 

Message 2 of 9

Hey hey!

They just changed it like a week ago.

Before it would add new items (on our square) as unavailable on weebly.
Now there's an extra step on weebly where we have to add from the library.

But it makes it available instantly.

I hope that makes sense.

Message 3 of 9

That's weird! Yesterday it was working just like it had for the last year or two, but when I tried it today the interface had changed and it's doing exactly what you said. I guess the update didn't roll out to everyone at the same time. 

When I add an item to my online library I first have to add the weights for real time shipping, add a description (since I don't sync from Square), assign categories, and adjust a few other things before I make it visible. This new change doesn't work for me. 

I can definitely see how this would be a problem for businesses that sell alcohol. 

I hope Square adds a setting that lets us choose the default visibility when adding items. 

Message 4 of 9

Ah I am sorry brother. 
You have a lot of variants and what not. 
That can be such an insane hassle.

Message 5 of 9
Square Community Moderator

Hi @Honeybeard - Thanks for reaching out to us here on the Square Seller Community to provide your feedback on this feature.

If you haven't already, I would suggest reaching out to our Square Online Support Team to see if there are any alternative ways to hide your items on your website before listing them for sale. You would also be able to provide your feedback on this to our Support Team and they could further escalate it to our Product Teams.

Additionally, if it would help, you can use the alcohol toggle when bulk-editing your items as well!

We hope this information is helpful but please do let us know if you have any additional questions.

Violet
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.

Message 6 of 9

The toggle feature doesn't help when you have a thousand different products on the site, some being alcoholic, and some not.

But the issue is, there's that moment between "adding from the library" to "making an item alcoholic" that can be disrupted. I own a retail store, things happen every min. And that moment isn't worth me losing my license. 

Message 7 of 9

Gotta say, this has messed us up really badly too. We are a small ceramics nonprofit, selling pottery online. We frequently add 100 or more items to inventory in store, then later put maybe 10% online. So no longer having the option to have new products added as unavailable by default is costing us a lot of staff time. both in figuring out that this change happened without notice, and now in finding new work flows. Not great, Square.

Message 8 of 9

Thank you for your input and for helping me explain the flaw in this situation even further.
The amount of time wasted by this one new feature is ridiculous.

Also, how come they never tell us about these changes?

Message 9 of 9