x

Single item discount (not automatic)

Hi all,

We are a cafe and have a group of people who we would like to provide a discount (%) off specific items on our menu. But the discount wont apply to all our customers... just customers who show us their 'ID'.

Is it possible to allow a discount to a range of products in this manner? I dont want the discount to automatically apply to everyone.

Thanks in advance

Message 1 of 7
1 Best Answer
Square Community Moderator

Best Answer

Hi @peter_pennylane,

Thanks for writing back in to the Seller Community!

The only way to create a discount that only applies to certain items or customers is via Automatic discounts. 

Automatic discounts have a setting that lets you create a discount for a specific customer group, e.g your "Regulars" or a group of items. However, at the moment you wouldn't be able to create a discount that allows you to both specify an item range, and a customer group. 

An alternative would be to create a regular discount and to let your staff know which items and customers the discount applies to. They would then be able to apply the discount to the individual items via the checkout: 

1. Add items to a sale > tap on the item the discount is applicable for.

2. Scroll down to the discount section and select a discount. 

3. Proceed with the Sale. 

Please let us know how you go!

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Square Community Moderator

Best Answer

Hi @peter_pennylane,

Thanks for writing back in to the Seller Community!

The only way to create a discount that only applies to certain items or customers is via Automatic discounts. 

Automatic discounts have a setting that lets you create a discount for a specific customer group, e.g your "Regulars" or a group of items. However, at the moment you wouldn't be able to create a discount that allows you to both specify an item range, and a customer group. 

An alternative would be to create a regular discount and to let your staff know which items and customers the discount applies to. They would then be able to apply the discount to the individual items via the checkout: 

1. Add items to a sale > tap on the item the discount is applicable for.

2. Scroll down to the discount section and select a discount. 

3. Proceed with the Sale. 

Please let us know how you go!

Message 2 of 7

We have a similar requirement - if you are a member then you get 10% off your food.  I would have thought this was a fairly standard kind of discount, but the work-arounds seem clumsy.  I don't want to have to go through all of the cart items to manually add the discount to food.

My requirement would basically be:

- an automatic discount that applies to the intersection of a customer group and items.

- a manual discount, that when applied only applies to specific items in the cart, rather than all of them.

Is there a proposal to develop this level of functionality please?  As I've already said, it doesn't seem complicated and already uses the core of the functionality provided.

Message 3 of 7
Square Champion

@peter_pennylane , @KCH_Dan , @Arie 

Actually, it IS possible to apply an automatic discount to only a group of customers, it's supported in the backend, just not implemented in the dashboard interface. There is a way to achieve this if you have an IPAD in the mix somewhere.

Regardless of the sSquare platform you are running you need to install the standard square POS app on an IPAD to enable the discount for the group. Once this is done you can remove the app if you want, I just leave it there in case i need to make additional discounts or mods.

Firstly, create your automatic discount as if it applied to everyone, probably a good idea to name it specific to the group however.

After you've done that, fire up the standard square POS app on the Ipad and do the following:

More/Customer/View Groups

Pick your customer group

From the customer group menu choose:

Manage group discounts

Then you will be able to assign the automatic discount(s) you created to the group you have chosen.

Once you've done the above, the discount will only apply to customer that belong to that group. This carries over to the other platforms also (I use restaurants).

You'll notice once you've done this, in the dashboard the discount will now be flagged as 'created outside of square' and you can no longer edit it. To make changes you'll need to delete and recreate, then repeat the process on the POS app.

I used specifically to make sure all my discounts only apply to those users which remain on the mailing list, but it works with any group.

The customer will obviously still have to be added to the transaction, but this is quick and the search is predicitive.

A little frustrating that it's merely an interface limitation, as it's such an obvious request.

Hopefully however this gives you the tools to implement the discount the way you want.

Regards,

Bruce

Bruce Wilson
Owner | Vigneron | Distiller
Message 4 of 7

Thanks so much for your response Bruce!  The solution works perfectly, and can be set up on iPhone as well as iPad.

We use barcodes for entering items.  It is possible to set the ReferenceID on a generic customer "Member", and to use a barcode to choose this customer for the transaction.  So there is no need for manually entering the customer.

Message 5 of 7
Square Champion

Awesome, so we can expand the solution a bit to include ipad and iphone. I just rechecked my android device and no mention of discounts in the groups...

Bruce Wilson
Owner | Vigneron | Distiller
Message 6 of 7

I would also like to be able to restrict a discount to a category, item and/or time (just like an automatic discount) but it not be automatic.

Real World Use case: We run a cafe and give a discount to our ParkRun customers of 10% off drinks on a Saturday morning from 8:30am-10am. This discount isn't for everyone, so can't be automatic. However, to ensure that it only applies to drinks, and not food, the sales team need to process the food and drinks in a seperate transaction, otherwise the 10% discount will apply to the whole transaction.

We would like to have the discount set up with a rule to apply only to the drinks category, and only between 8:30am-10am when the discount is manually applied.

thanks,

Daniel

Message 7 of 7