x

Round-up option for non-profit donation

I know there are other threads regarding rounding up for donations.

Let me clarify, in this thread, the importance of such a tool within the POS for non-profit organizations and other businesses. My team does the math for customers and adds the .23 cents (tax-exempt) to the $5.77 purchase. Our goal is to have Square provide an option for ALL square users to have a tax-exempt round-up key/button.

We have 16 local businesses that want to donate proceeds to our non-profit organization through the round-up program. They don't have the reliability in all their employees to do the "quick math" and get it right. They also do not want the added need to keep a calculator near the register, as it adds to the customer time in line. The conversation should be simple: "Your total is $23.57, would you like to roundup to the next dollar, for $24, to donate to Habitat's Homeless Veteran Community Build?" If they say yes, the cashier simply clicks the "round-up" key/button, and the report shows that "item" in their reports. The cashier does not need to pull out a claculator and do the math, and the customer sees on their receipt "Habitat Round-up" (or something like that). That company then sends a donation check to our business at the end of the month/quarter, however they want. For-profit businesses WANT this option, so they can reap the benefit of donating that money on the customers behalf, and publicize that. Customers want to give back, with as little added time as possible. Quick and painless is their preference.

This is what everyone is looking for. I have recently researched this, MANY other POS systems have this already, at the same, or less cost. Businesses using other POS systems are donating "round-up" to us already. We've been happy with Square POS; but, ya'll are behind, and missing opportunities to keep/gain POS users. When does Square plan to roll out this kind of option. I've been asking for it since March2016, and being told, "we're working on it, should be soon".

Message 1 of 89
1 Best Answer
Square Community Moderator

Best Answer

Hey there @Lynn_TRU I am sorry, I know it's not easy waiting,  but our team is still tracking this request. But it doesn't look like they have it on the roadmap currently. 

I would add your voice to this request and we will make sure to let you know as soon as anything changes. 

Thank you so much for your patience, and input again!

View Best Answer >

Message 85 of 89
88 REPLIES 88
Square Champion

We would also love this!

Message 22 of 89

Our nonprofit organization (who utilizes Square) has been asking for this feature to be programmed for months now...... It is truly a WIN-WIN-WIN for all involved. The business loves it, nonprofits need it and doesn't cost Square a single cent!

It is SHOCKING to learn that Sqaure is reluctant to implement such a basic function that can truly change the world on a community level. Furthermore, Square gets all the free publicity by saying, "Our platform raised $900 MILLION for charities in 2020."

Maybe this request needs to go to the marketing department or directly to @JackDorsey himself!?!

Let's make this happen! 

Message 23 of 89

I wanted to add my voice into the mix. Our Thrift Store manager just asked for this feature yesterday. Maybe a round up feature will be a small bright spot in 2020! It will definitely be helpful for non-profits who are going to see a drop off in donations because of the current economic turmoil. Thank you!

Message 24 of 89

We are a brewery in Minneapolis and would love this feature as well. 

Message 25 of 89

Thank for adding your voice here, @MHSBBL! We appreciate you joining in and throwing your support behind this feature. We will continue to update this thread as we have more info to share. Cheers! 

Joe
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 26 of 89

We also operate a thrift shop and really want this feature!

Message 27 of 89
Beta Member

Here here!  Agreed, its been a very long time since Square started receiving these requests.  All sorts of platforms allow businesses to "round-up for charity," and we have a few shops that we are sometimes the round-up option for.  But our customers in-house still cannot "round up" to donate.

Message 28 of 89

We also would like this feature.  

Message 29 of 89

I couldn't agree more. We have founded a nonprofit that works alongside our for profit coffee shop. We are always hosting community events at the coffee shop and our customers are begging for this option. There has got to be a way to get this implemented asap. I have been very happy with Square, but with as many customers who are asking for this feature in order to donate to our nonprofit, it might be worth it for me to switch to another POS system. If other Square users have been asking for this feature for at least four years, what is the hold up? Surely, this can be prioritized and implemented quickly. If anything, more communication other than "coming soon" would be appreciated. McDonald's and many other big box companies have had measures like this in place for years. There is no reason small companies can't have this option through Square. Please prioritize this feature. 

Message 30 of 89

Apparently @JackDorsey & @Square could care less about helping the communities they do business in or the people who utilize their platform. Since this has been an ongoing request for SEVERAL YEARS, and continues to fall on deaf ears, maybe a mass exodus affecting their PROFITS is the only solution. Clearly, it is not a programming issue since more than 50% of all available POS systems currently have this feature. My suggestion is to leave the Square platform all together and use any of the NUMEROUS platforms that do allow businesses to give back directly to their community! 

Remember, it has always been and will always be "We The People". 

Message 31 of 89
Beta Member

YES!

Message 32 of 89

PLEASE, PLEASE get this feature!. 

Message 33 of 89

Thanks for adding your voice in support of this feature, @trinabanner! As soon as we have information to share in regards to an update on this feature, we will bounce back here and update everyone promptly.

Thanks for your patience! 

Joe
Message 34 of 89
Super Seller Alumni

+1 on this feature.  It's a common thing to do on most POS systems.  I hope Square can make it happen.

Message 35 of 89

Thanks for adding your voice here too, @jjgard. We have noted you down! 

Joe
Message 36 of 89

We need this option NOW more than ever! 

Message 37 of 89

Thanks for adding your voice in support of this feature request, @Kyrail! We will continue to push out updates to all Sellers interested here on this thread as we have them.

Thanks for your patience!

Joe
Message 38 of 89

With the lack of available Change from Banks.  THIS is NEEDED 2 months ago.  

IF you don't give a **bleep**.   Just tell us to F-OFF instead of leading people on for 2+  years.   

Message 39 of 89

I’m looking for this feature too.  If square isn’t interested in helping non profits then it may be time to find someone who does.  This can’t be difficult.  Thank you

Message 40 of 89
Beta Member

Our store would really like this option for rounding up to donate to a charity. Not only would we be helping a charity, we would also help solve our coin shortage. It will be a win-win. 

Message 41 of 89

We would love to simply have a button I could have my team push to round up for a cause of our choice. Is there a way to do this or get it developed? Right now with all the cash and change craziness, it seems now would be a great time to develop a button like this.thoughts? 

Message 42 of 89