x

Moving from Quickbooks POS to Square

We currently use Quickbooks POS and like the looks of the Square POS set-up.  How difficult would a move from Quickbooks POS to Square POS be?  We have the cash drawer and receipt printer as well as a barcode scanner that came with our Quickbooks system - are any of those compatible with the Square?  The cash drawer and printer that Square shows look identical to what we have currently.  

We run a collectible coin shop so the majority of our inventory is comprised of 1-only items rather than stock of multiple items of the same sku.  Can our current inventory be easily exported from QB and imported to the Square and remain intact?

How would we add new product?  Is that something that is or can be done via a web interface from a computer in the back room or does everything happen on the iPad at the front counter?

Am I right in the POS is free to use, no monthly fees?  Only fees are when accepting credit cards - 2.5% plus 10 cents per transaction if I recall.

I assume the Square Retail is something a bit more in-depth and that is why it is $60 per month plus any credit card processing fees.  Is there a huge difference between just regular POS and Square Retail?  We really just need to be able to add product and process sales and then export that sale data to Quickbooks Accounting software.

I think that's all I have to ask for now.  I made the actual questions in Bold type so they stand out.

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Admin

Hello @PJ_Beiter_Coins! Helen here from the Community team. I can't speak to how difficult it is to move from Quickbooks but starting with Square is quite straightforward (I think!). Perhaps another seller can chime in here if they've made the switch but in the meantime I've answered your questions below! 

[Is the hardware I have] compatible with the Square? You can check this Support Center article to see if the hardware you already have is compatible with Square: Hardware Compatibilty by Device

Can our current inventory be easily exported from QB and imported to the Square and remain intact? You can create and edit your item library from your online Dashboard using a computer - you don't have to do it all from the app! T

How would we add new product? To add a lot of items all in one go you can download a template file > make changes > then upload the template to add your items. For the steps read this article: Import Items Online.

Am I right in the POS is free to use, no monthly fees? There is no monthly fee if you're only using the Point of Sale app to take card payments. Full pricing details are here, there is a monthly fee for features like Team Management or Square Appointments.

Is there a huge difference between just regular POS and Square Retail? Square for Retail might be a better option if you need advanced reporting and inventory features. This article is a comparison of Square for Retail and Square Point of Sale.

I hope this helps get you started! If you have any questions reply here to let me know. 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Message 2 of 2