x

Is the combination Square 3.5mm jack magstripe/swipe and chip reader no longer offered?

I am currently using an iPad for my store's POS.  We have a contactless reader, but we don't process cards often enough to keep it awake and it is not convenient to use.  The iPad is plugged in via lightning charger to power.  I have an open 3.5mm headphone jack to use for reader options.

I have seen images of a combination magstripe/swipe and chip reader unit, but from what Square support has shared that has been discontinued!  With the move from swipe to dip I am surprised that we would be losing chip reader options.  I feel like at some point we will start seeing cards without magstrips or there will be a high rate to process them.  From what I gleaned from the forum that chip reader unit may have contently drained power, but I am plugged in so I don't mind.  

Can someone advise if this combo unit is still offered or what the SKU is so I can look at eBay and such?  Very disappointed in the contactless reader... if it would stay awake in the dock or when the app was open or at least have a preference setting for the timeout that would be the best solution, fingers crossed for a version 2. 

Message 1 of 4
1 Best Answer
Square Community Moderator

Best Answer

Hey there @DairyDepot 👋

You are correct. We no longer offer the Square Chip Reader we had to discontinue it due to several reasons but the most important one was not being able to improve battery life in it and not being able to use it while charging. You can also add the fact that mobile device companies started removing headphone jacks from phones. 

Thank you for your feedback on the Contactless and chip reader. I will make sure to pass it over to our product team for consideration. 

JJ
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.

View Best Answer >

Message 4 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Beta Member

Hi @DairyDepot,

I don't think it's been discontinued since you can still buy it on Square's Site here by choosing Headset jack

Message 2 of 4

That model only does magstripe.  I am looking for the magstripe + chip reader via headset jack.

Message 3 of 4
Square Community Moderator

Best Answer

Hey there @DairyDepot 👋

You are correct. We no longer offer the Square Chip Reader we had to discontinue it due to several reasons but the most important one was not being able to improve battery life in it and not being able to use it while charging. You can also add the fact that mobile device companies started removing headphone jacks from phones. 

Thank you for your feedback on the Contactless and chip reader. I will make sure to pass it over to our product team for consideration. 

JJ
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 4 of 4