x
Square Champion

How to modify Item Grid from a computer?

I have an IPad air at my shop, which is constantly used. Is there a way for me to modify the Item Grid from my computer? I haven't been able to figure that one 

Message 1 of 29
2 Best Answers
Square Champion

Message 2 of 29

Best Answer

Well, in my opinion, you can.  You just have to have an extra device that has the Square app.  All you need to do is open the Square app on the extra device, log in using the credentials of the other device.  Edit the grid as necessary and log out.  When the actual device is used, the grid will be the exact one you edited "remotely". 

I have several campuses that are about 25-45 mins away from my central location. I can add or update items on the computer, then log in using the extra device (iPad).  After I edit the grid "remotely", the location device is ready to use!  Easy peasy!  This is why Square works for us! I don't have to physically drive to all the locations and update the ipads for book sales.

View Best Answer >

Message 19 of 29
28 REPLIES 28

You are right. I use an ipad mini as my extra device.  Sorry for the confusion.

Message 22 of 29

how do you " log in using the credentials of the other device"? i login to multiple devices w/ just one login... how are you specifying a 'campus 1' vs a 'campus 2' login? 

it's a good idea... but i cannot duplicate what you are suggesting..

i do not understand why square has not incorporated this feature.. seems like a popular request.

Message 23 of 29
Square Community Moderator

Hey @chrisFH,

Thanks for writing in and highlighting this feature request. I'll add your vote to this, and we'll be sure to share an update with you here. 

Unfortunately, I'm not sure what credentials they're referring to - please let us know how you go!

Message 24 of 29

Are you using Locations and logging in using Device Codes (of the other devices 25-45 min away) or logging in using an email and password of an account user?

Message 25 of 29

Sorry for the delay. I use my extra ipad mini and login using the Square account email address and password. Then Square asks me to select the location I want to accept payments. Once I select the location (we have 12 ipads so I have 12 device codes), I can edit the grid and it will automatically update the setup for that device.  I have not updated to the newest version, so I do not know if this option removes this feature.

Message 26 of 29
Beta Member

I have discovered a way to edit the grid using a regular computer. If you download an android emulator like "BlueStacks" you can then run the square app through it. It will run the tablet version, so you can edit and arrange the item grid.

Message 27 of 29

interesting... does this method:

1. (assuming you have just one square tablet) does the bluestacks method update your square tablet from the one in bluestacks?

2. (if you have multiple locations) does the bluestack method allow you to choose which square tablet location you are updating?

3. why would you need an android emulator? couldn't you just login to square on an android device?

Message 28 of 29
Beta Member

1. Yes it does. You can move your menu items in to their respective places and it will update correctly in the remote  unit.

2. When logging in, you will be given a choice of which location you want to sign in to. Just like it would on any device when logging in.

3. Depending on the device, you may be able to adjust the menu that. Some devices won’t offer the screen space to adjust a register.

Message 29 of 29