x
Square Champion

How to modify Item Grid from a computer?

I have an IPad air at my shop, which is constantly used. Is there a way for me to modify the Item Grid from my computer? I haven't been able to figure that one 

Message 1 of 29
2 Best Answers
Square Champion

Message 2 of 29

Best Answer

Well, in my opinion, you can.  You just have to have an extra device that has the Square app.  All you need to do is open the Square app on the extra device, log in using the credentials of the other device.  Edit the grid as necessary and log out.  When the actual device is used, the grid will be the exact one you edited "remotely". 

I have several campuses that are about 25-45 mins away from my central location. I can add or update items on the computer, then log in using the extra device (iPad).  After I edit the grid "remotely", the location device is ready to use!  Easy peasy!  This is why Square works for us! I don't have to physically drive to all the locations and update the ipads for book sales.

View Best Answer >

Message 19 of 29
28 REPLIES 28
Square Champion

Message 2 of 29

Really??! That's lame-o.. I'm a developer, so I can say that.  Should I write it for you? 

Message 3 of 29

I added to my grid from my computer last week, now I cant figure how to get to the grid ffrom my computer to add a new item

Message 4 of 29
Square Community Moderator

Hi @gyount49

Were you referring to the favorites grid on your iPad or tablet? If so, you can only customize this on the device level. 

Check out this article for steps on how to do this by device:

Set Up Your Item Grid on a Tablet

Message 5 of 29

If customers are using more than one tablet, and want to push a new item grid to those multiple tablets, doesn't it make sense to be able to edit the item grid from a PC or online site?  What happens when a user modifies a particular item grid and no one is notified?  There should be a method of central control/distribution if desired by the clients.

Message 6 of 29
Beta Member

I agree that adding remote management of the item grid would be a big help. Currently I use a separate Square Register to maintain the screens for 6 locations (all of which also use Square Registers).

Message 7 of 29
Beta Member

Yeah I still can't believe this isnt available....  

Message 8 of 29

I'd like to give a manager permission to rearrange buttons on the register as our taps can change frequently. Do they have to have access to set up items in order to do this or is it something else? 

Thank you

Message 9 of 29
Alumni

Hey @AquaZR1 - no need to enable any permission to allow rearrangement of the item grid. Anyone can simply tap+drop to edit your Grid. 

I moved your post to this thread so you can see the link EJ posted on how to manage the Item Grid on your device. 

Justin
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 10 of 29

Doesn't work the same on the register. My employees have different permissions based upon what their role is. Currently I am the only one that can arrange the items or remove them from  a tab.

Message 11 of 29
Alumni

Hey @AquaZR1 - you'll need to enable Edit Items, Taxes, and Inventory under your employees' role permissions. This will allow them to edit the grid with their passcode. 

Justin
Message 12 of 29

That's what I was afraid of. Thanks!

Message 13 of 29

I have Square Register, is it possible to manage the grid (add, delete, rearrange, etc) from my desktop?

Message 14 of 29
Square Community Moderator

Hey @bruswain!

Unfortunately not no. It has to be arranged on the Register itself!

I do see how this could be useful though so I'm happy to pass this along as a feature request!

Ashley C
Message 15 of 29

Any news on this? Is it available yet? Would improve my business drastically. 

Message 16 of 29

I've added categories on my Square and would like to have them alphabetized on the Grid. How can you do that?

Message 17 of 29
Alumni

Hey @SRRH2019 🤗 The grid will not default the order of your tiles alphabetically. You'll need to manually organize them yourself. I've moved your question to this thread to see the link @EJ_'s included in his post (first page) on how to edit your Item Grid ! 

And welcome to Community. Happy to see a new face! 

Justin
Message 18 of 29

Best Answer

Well, in my opinion, you can.  You just have to have an extra device that has the Square app.  All you need to do is open the Square app on the extra device, log in using the credentials of the other device.  Edit the grid as necessary and log out.  When the actual device is used, the grid will be the exact one you edited "remotely". 

I have several campuses that are about 25-45 mins away from my central location. I can add or update items on the computer, then log in using the extra device (iPad).  After I edit the grid "remotely", the location device is ready to use!  Easy peasy!  This is why Square works for us! I don't have to physically drive to all the locations and update the ipads for book sales.

Message 19 of 29
Admin

@Vstiff I love this solution. Thank you so much for sharing!!  

AshleyK
Message 20 of 29

The grid is not able to be edited from a phone. An iPad operates different than the phone app. 

Message 21 of 29