x

Does anyone know of a USB extension cord that will be compatible with the Square Stand

Does anyone know of an USB extension cord that will be compatible with the Square stand?  I am trying to connect a kitchen printer to the Square stand and it is about 10 feet away.

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Admin

Hi @LauraL, welcome to the Seller Community!

If you've ordered the supported kitchen ticket printer (SP742 USB), you should be able to get by with a standard 10 foot USB cable and/or extension.

If this doesn't clear things up or if you're running into any issues, please confirm the model number of your printer and I'll be happy to take a closer look into this for you.🙂

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 2 of 8

I tried using the Star SP742U with both a 30' and 50' cable as I need to be able to run the cable along the wall. Neither cable worked but using just the 6' USB cable I had worked just fine. Should extension cables actually work?

Message 3 of 8
Admin

The specs for USB 2.0 list a maximum limit of about 5 meters for cable length. To get longer than that, you need to use an active USB cable or put a powered USB hub in between, e.g. 15 foot cable -> powered hub -> 15' foot cable. You can also do up to 5 hubs, but that's getting pretty cumbersome and wild. With active USB 2.0 cables the maximum length is 30 feet. For USB 3 cables the maximum is actually a little shorter - about 10 feet.

Adam
Seller Community, Platform
Message 4 of 8

Ya, both my cables were active repeaters and it still didn't work. might try a powered hub, didnt know what that was. thanks

Message 5 of 8

Did this option work for you? Im in. the same situation.

Message 6 of 8

I got 75’ and 50’ a to b cable for p

star printer but both not working. Does anyone know what’s the problem and good solution. Thank you 

Message 7 of 8
Square Champion

Limits on the length for signal to be transferred through the USB cable as pointed out below by AdamB:

The specs for USB 2.0 list a maximum limit of about 5 meters for cable length. To get longer than that, you need to use an active USB cable or put a powered USB hub in between, e.g. 15 foot cable -> powered hub -> 15' foot cable. You can also do up to 5 hubs, but that's getting pretty cumbersome and wild. With active USB 2.0 cables the maximum length is 30 feet. For USB 3 cables the maximum is actually a little shorter - about 10 feet.

Since your planning on running cable anyway you could look at USB over Ethernet adapters like this one on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/usb over CAT5E-Connection-150ft

Or if you have an older router that can be switched to an access point that has a USB port on it you could use that, I have done this at home with older routers to make a USB printer "wireless" and be able to print from my cell or tablet when needed.

Keith
Owner
Pocono Candle

Mark as Best Answer if this Helped you solve an issue or give it a thumbs up if you like the answer.
Square Support Number 855-700-6000.
Make Sure App and OS is up to date on your Device.
Message 8 of 8