x
Admin

What's the secret to encouraging repeat customers?

Happy Wednesday, gang ๐Ÿ‘‹

With Black Friday and Cyber Monday, you may get an influx of new customers during the festive season. Inspired by a question @Native_Creative shared a while back, we'd like to ask:

What's the secret to encouraging repeat customers?

Some businesses may prefer a loyalty program while others like a frequent email campaign or offering regular discount instead. We'd love to know what has work best for you! 

Looking forward to reading all your replies โœจ

Tra | she/her
Community Engagement Program Manager, Square
Have a burning question to ask in our Question of the Week? Share it with us!
Message 1 of 26
1 Best Answer
Square Champion

Best Answer

My major secret: make them want to come back.

My baristas are required to know the names or drinks of 10% of our regulars before they're allowed out of training, 25% before a raise kicks in. My managers must know at least 75% of our regulars.

We welcome them in by name. We ask about their kids, jobs, sports team, whatever they've mentioned in the past. Our major goal is always to make people feel like they're at home whenever they're in our store. Quite a few of our long time regulars have my personal cell, and many times they'll text just to catch up.

In today's economic environment and time of extreme competition I feel it's vital to connect far beyond our customers' wallets. Having that connection makes them want to continue to visit our store.

Ryan Wanner
Golden Pine Coffee Roasters
Colorado Springs, CO, USA

Square Champion: I know stuff.
Beta Tester: I break stuff.
he/him/hey you/coffee guy/whatever.

Happy Selling!

View Best Answer >

Message 10 of 26
25 REPLIES 25

Thank you!!

Dr Jen Casper, Spiritual Counselor
"May you always be blessed."

Brodheadsville, PA
Message 22 of 26
Square Champion

GREAT question!

Cannot wait to read what everyone has to say!

As for our answer...

We use Square Loyalty & Square Marketing (email and text messages)... outside of the square ecosphere we hold a live sale every Friday night on Instagram at 8:30pm EST. This consistency has built a sense of community around the sale- people watch to learn and/or see what we have that's new (we showcase all of our new products) whether or not they purchase something. I believe this weekly live sale has done a HUGE amount for our repeat business.

Of course, I think it's obvious to say exceptional customer service and product knowledge brings customers back every time. We try and live by the Nordstrom standard of service (when I was in business school Nordstrom was a HUGE case study). 

Dina
Co-Owner Amityville Apothecary
www.shopamityvilleapothecary.com
Instagram | TikTok @AmityvilleApothecary

Podcast: Apothecary After Dark (YouTube & Spotify)
Message 23 of 26
Square Champion

Building relationships with customers. Consistent text/email marketing. In store events that customers love.

My Girlfriend's Wardrobe est. 2012

Preston & jayne est. 2023

Downtown York Pa

Square user since 2012
Message 24 of 26
Square Champion

Creating regulars for us means providing high quality service and being at the right place at the right time, marketing-wise. Most clients will tan with us 2x a year but we keep top of mind through social media (both paid and organic), I am advertising on Yelp & Nextdoor, and we send out emails. I would love to grow our referral network but I am not sure how to push that.

We run 25% off rebooking promos too and those help.

UV-Free Tanning Salon Owner, Northern California (Campbell)
Square Champion - Expert
instagram.com/bronzepalms
Message 25 of 26
Square Champion

This is definitely a complicated thing in our Garden center as many of the customers only come one time a year.  So my theory to keep a customer happy and for them to remember to make the drive past all the box stores to get to our garden center 365 days later is multiple things.
1. Show them and remind them while they are there that this is a 60+ year old Family owned and operated garden center. The business is US, my family, not a giant corporate being. There are many customers that are still here that were customers before I was born and saw me grow up as a baby behind the counter, then as a teen working the registers, then in my 20s taking over running the business, to in my 30s buying my parents out and taking over full control of the business.  They see either me, my wife, or one of my kids at the register or in the greenhouse.  They saw our babies in pack n plays behind the register.  Make it so they know they are responsible for my kids getting dance shoes etc.  A connection to a person or family is much stronger than to a big brand.
2.  Give them quality product at reasonable prices.  We never are fighting to be the lowest price and I will straight tell my customers this.  To have a good product with good components isn't cheap so why sell it for cheap.
3. I pay my employees very well so that they can be at least comfortable at $20 an hour and because of that they are able to find that extra step to up their customer service and customers will remember the interactions with the same employee over 20 years vs a random associate at Walmart.

4. We do have a loyalty punch card but I don't think that drives them to come back as much as the product and experience.
5. Listen. listen to what customer are asking for even if it isn't what you like.  I've learned long ago something I think is hideous will be someones favorite item ever.

hopefully all that plus many other things makes them want to choose to come back.

Message 26 of 26