x
Admin

In the News: Has your business rent risen dramatically?

Pesso_0-1721830485945.png

Hey Newsies,

Today we’re looking at an article from AP News reporting on the rising costs of commercial rent for small businesses. I’d love to hear your thoughts and experiences on this!

AP News: Rent Inflation Remains a Pressure Point for Small Businesses

The article explains that inflation is affecting rent for small businesses, which has been putting brick and mortar business owners in a very difficult position. It pulls data from the Bank of America Institute showing that rents have been increasing in higher percentages than before, at a disproportionate rate to other increasing expenses. 

Rising rates of an integral fixed expense like rent is a very difficult thing to overcome, with a lot of business owners feeling stuck and not having a choice in the matter. Moving to a new location can potentially mean the end of a business, and the alternatives aren’t ideal. Owners need to deal with these higher costs by simply making less profit, raising prices, cutting other expenses such as employee labor, or considering moving or closing up shop entirely. Either way, it puts immense pressure and stress on owners just trying to make it through. 

Pesso_1-1721830485965.png

In my shop, we had our share of rent increases. This tended to happen around the times that we were renewing our store’s lease. We locked in the terms of increases into our lease so we knew the increase schedule and there were no last minute surprises. Luckily we were given some notice so we were able to plan ahead to raise our prices and try to cut expenses. However, towards the end, the landlord gave us shorter and shorter leases, which became a challenge and left room for more increases. 

What’s your perspective:

• Have you been feeling bigger rent increases in the last few years?
  • What have you done to offset some of those higher costs?

Can’t wait to hear your thoughts!
Pesso

This article is for informational purposes and does not constitute legal advice. For guidance or advice specific to your business, you should consult with a qualified legal professional.

Message 1 of 28
27 REPLIES 27
Square Champion

We are witnessing an increase in rent prices and minimum wages. While our situation remains manageable, we've observed several nearby businesses experiencing dramatic rent hikes, leading them to either shut down or relocate.

Message 22 of 28
Admin

Thanks for jumping in, @WST90 ! How much of a percentage increase have you faced? Is it normal or higher than average? 

How do you handle the extra costs?

That's so tough seeing others have to shut down or move as a result. Rooting for y'all and your neighborhood! 

Message 23 of 28
Square Champion

We've seen a lot of this in Atlanta too 😔 sometimes it seems like wishful thinking to me to imagine rents coming back into a reasonable realm for businesses just starting out.

Deklan (Dex) they/them]

MudFire CEO | Square enthusiast

Visit me at MudFire online
Message 24 of 28
Square Champion

We had a standard 3% a year escalation until last year when I negotiated no escalation for 4 years if I expended capital to replace the roof of the building we rent. It had been costing several thousand a year in small repairs, skylight replacements etc and with a NNN lease it was my $ to upkeep. We've been trying to find a second location for a while and recently made the jump to doing some renovations on the building we are currently in to suit a new classroom space. Our newest prospective landlord came in $14K a month for 6000 square feet which is a steal in Atlanta but over a 9 year lease built enough escalation to bump that to $32K a month with prospective property taxes in year 9. The escalation schedule was INSANE. So after 1.5 months of negotiations - we declined.

Deklan (Dex) they/them]

Message 25 of 28
Admin

That's some fantastic negotiation skills, @MudFire_Dex ! How were you able to get them to agree to that? It sounds like you are definitely coming out ahead there since you had to pay those repair costs anyway, might as well pay for the whole replacement -- especially for no increases for 4 years.

Did the math work out in your favor? Are y'all doing anything to make sure you can easily afford those costs?

Oh dang, those increase in price for that second space is unbelievable! I'm so sorry that it didn't end up working out after you put in so much time and effort to try and make it happen. But it sounds like the right move to pass on it. Rooting for y'all as always!

Message 26 of 28
Square Champion

We had adopted the profit first model to save for the roof and our expansion. It did work out on our favor over the stress of random repairs as well. 

I think the profit first savings strategy is great for any business - we started small tucking away from weekly sales totals - 2% of sales, then gradually to 5%, and now I do 10-15%. It made us realize that funds went to random unimportant things without earmarking them to be important. 

Deklan (Dex) they/them]

Message 27 of 28
Admin

That's so wonderful that Profit First worked for you and helped with this, @MudFire_Dex ! Putting aside automatic savings and cutting some unnecessary expenses are great strategies. Thanks for sharing!

Message 28 of 28