x
Admin

In the News: Do you go green with reusable containers?

Pesso_0-1690379771414.png

Hey Sellers,

Today we’re looking at another way for businesses to go green, with an article from CO by the US Chamber of Commerce, reporting on companies creating reusable food containers. I’d love to hear your experiences on using them in your business.

CO by US Chamber of Commerce: Startups Help Restaurant

Takeout Businesses Go Green with Returnable Food Containers

The article explains that several startups are focusing on reusable and returnable food containers for small businesses, which can help reduce their environmental and financial impact. Restaurant takeout is a massive industry with record numbers of disposable food containers being used every year which costs businesses billions of dollars, and ends up in landfills. The companies say that businesses can save up to 80% over time, and the container companies handle logistics of tracking and replenishing them. These include cups, clamshells, bowls, and more, that work for many different types of businesses. 

Pesso_1-1690379771408.png

In my ice cream shop, we took some small steps to go a little greener with our food packaging, which actually did help us save money too. We switched from styrofoam cups to paper cups, and from plastic spoons to wooden spoons. For both of these changes, the new better versions were stronger and sturdier, took up less storage space, gave a more premium look and feel to our product and brand, and ended up costing significantly less money. It was absolutely a win-win. While we didn’t look at returnable or reusable ones at the time, it could have taken our brand and feel to the next level, and I would definitely consider it now if we still had our shop.

What’s your perspective:

• Do you use any reusable packaging or containers?
  • Would you consider it? Why or why not?

Can’t wait to hear your thoughts!
Pesso

Message 1 of 20
19 REPLIES 19
Beta Member

We don't use reusable containers. We do some, but not alot, of to go orders. We do use recyclable containers, and limit what we include (don't include utensils or napkins unless requested). I would be open to it, but I don't think it would be worth the effort/cost for us.

Message 2 of 20
Beta Member

Unfortunately, many eco-choices can be quite be more costly.

It blows my mind how much food is wasted because farmers and manufacturers sometimes find it cheaper to throw away some resources or ugly (but perfectly good) good! 

Message 3 of 20
Beta Member

We don't use containers in that way. However, we're launching a product regularly used in our industry that would follow the same principles, would allow for reusing over replacing, and will save businesses significantly! 

For some of today's consumers, it's part of their reason for their choices, so it's probably can benefit many businesses to promote those business practices

Message 4 of 20
Square Champion

Eco-friendly stuff is a double edged sword when it comes to our industry I hate to say.

On a personal note I went on a cruise recently and they had eco-friendly straws that weren't paper or plastic but were 10x better than the paper straws you see in restaurants, so progress is being made.

Whenever I go out to eat paper straws are wasted on me because they get that moist cardboard feel after the first drink, ironically they're probably throwing away more straws right from the start.

Our industry has had a rough time given that while environmentally friendly stuff is "better" for the environment, it's a lot more expensive to produce and ethically package AND it's not as in demand as the standard stuff we sell. I hate to say it but bamboo and paper have a long way to go until they're at the same demand level and quality as the heavy plastic plates/cups we carry.

I even tried to switch to paper shopping bags and for us that's a disaster because they rip far more often than plastic bags, they don't hold as much stuff (meaning 2 bags for every 1 bag we tax), and they don't form around the products like a plastic bag which means bulkier items can't be bagged (a good 30% of what we carry). Not to mention the cost is twice that of the plastic bags and the environmental impact is still bad (paper bags aren't just produced from nothing and are labor and environmentally intensive to produce)

It's been something on our radar for over a decade and our manufacturers still can't get eco-friendly alternatives that can sell off of the shelf which means they stop producing them because they just don't sell. The idea we can just stop carrying the non-eco friendly stuff means we're just handing more of our business to the online stores that don't care.

www.PartyManiaBethesda.com
Please Require Customers to pick time/date at checkout for Square online. Thanks!
Message 5 of 20

In my state, one use plastic bags were banned before the pandemic.  Paper bags are allowed but we are required to charge .05 cents for each paper bag.  I gave it some thought and decided since everyone was phasing towards using reusable bags and tend to carry them with them when they shop, by choice I no longer stock paper bags.  One less thing to source.  I don't sell foodstuff so it was an easier transition for me.  Every now and then I get the occasional question do I have a bag to put whatever they are buying into but it's rare.  By the end of this month, I will have fabric shopping bags featuring my designs that I can offer as an alternative for purchase.  

For my notecards... well, that's an interesting - I'll call it a "problem" that I have yet to resolve.  Retailers buying wholesale from me want each card in a protective sleeve so that's how I deliver them.  Buying eco friendly sleeves are hideously expensive.  And they don't hold up as well as the crystal clear plastic sleeves so it's been a perplexing problem.  For the time being, I am delivering cards in individual plastic sleeves.  I did have one store who took my card line on consignment that didn't want any plastic sleeves.  They were a test for "naked" cards.  Unfortunately they put their inventory stickers directly onto the card backs. I had assumed they would be removable stickers but they weren't. Customers complained they couldn't remove the stickers to use the cards.  There was a lot of inventory returned because of those buggery stickers.  Honestly, I don't know what the store was thinking when they did that.  I also couldn't remove those stickers so I ended up pulling everything and recycling because they couldn't be sold that way.  When I sell at my local farmers markets, I have a basket for the plastic sleeves so if the buyers doesn't want the sleeves, they can leave them behind.  The sleeves themselves don't reuse all that well because it's a soft plastic and develop scratches even when they are stacked one upon another in the display.  The only purpose for the sleeves is to protect the cards.  It's also how cards are normally presented in smaller shops but if Hallmark can sell without these sleeves, it begs the question why have the additional cost if it's really not necessary.  It's safe to say I haven't figured this one out yet.  I am considering just going without any sleeves at my markets so nothing in my booth is in plastic.  As far as wholesale sales, they still want protective sleeves so that's what I will keep providing since I haven't come up with another viable solution.  

Another product that comes shrink wrapped in plastic is my custom washi tape.  I think I have finally figured out how to eliminate the plastic component by having paper boxes made to hold the tape.  That's on my list for next year to test how well that idea works.  It will be more expensive because of the cost of the box production.  It adds .20 cents to each item versus .02 cents using plastic.  I've been working on a universal design with a cutout on the side to view the design so I just have to buy a supply of the boxes and load them with the individual rolls.  

Bonny Wagoner
Message 6 of 20
Square Champion

I will say one of the reasons we've transitioned to only cards that come packaged (aside from our main card line design design) is that every single card company decides to use a different envelope/card size and it creates massive headaches as people decide to pick a different envelope.

Packaged cards also makes for much cleaner looking displays and less upkeep as it is easier to see if a card is displaced.

I'd also argue that waste wise it's about the same as unpackaged cards get damaged when people can be really rough on each card and spill their drinks all the time even though we have no drinks signs. Between damaged cards and envelopes I'd say it actually is worse environmentally to have unpackaged cards when everything is said and done.

For our major card line they price each card and for our smaller lines they don't, which means I need it packaged so that I can price each card so customers know what they charge.

Just my thought when it comes to cards, I'm really disliking the trend of cards getting smaller from the smaller producers. Customers don't feel like they're getting a full card when they're buying A2 size greeting cards (4.25 x 5.5 inches folded)

As far as banning bags.... Supposedly Maryland is banning all plastic bags but there's been zero notification to the businesses and a phase out date. I literally have probably 50,000 bags because we buy in massive bulk to save money.

Please Require Customers to pick time/date at checkout for Square online. Thanks!
Message 7 of 20

Interesting... the A2 card size (4.25 x 5.5 inches folded) is supposedly the industry standard size.  At least so they say at the wholesale trade shows.  I have three sizes/orientations and they all sell equally well so there's no preference to one size or another as far as I can tell.  I think this is one of those depends on the shop type of things.  

Bonny Wagoner
Message 8 of 20
Square Champion

The cards that do best in party stores have always traditionally been A7. 5x7. 

This shift to A2 hasn't been as well received by a lot of my customers, maybe it's because of the height of the card fixtures (designed for A7's) or when compared to an A7 they feel like the value is not there.

I no longer bother with the wholesale trade shows because honestly it's just not worth the price to attend for one store.

Message 9 of 20
Square Champion

Random, but because we are on the ocean and have a plastic waste problem I'm always asking vendors to ship without the protective plastic sleeves and things.  Most can't because their shipping facilities don't allow it.  

I love that you are now doing your washi tapes in paper boxes.  I bet that looks better on the shelf/display, too.

Doran

Esthetician
Haute Beauty Guide
Message 10 of 20
Square Champion

Yes, right before the pandemic we switched to reusable bamboo towels and face pads.  Before, everything was disposable.  We do have an outside laundry service for it all so the price is around the same.  We also started a refillery station for body wash and lotions and bath salts.  It was hugely popular in the beginning but I've noticed clients aren't that thrilled with it anymore so trying to find ways to get that happy feeling around it.  

Doran

Esthetician
Haute Beauty Guide
Message 11 of 20
Beta Member

Awesome efforts to go green.  I'm also so impressed that you are paying attention to how your customers "feel" when doing something. So many businesses lose revenue and steam over time because they're not paying close attention to those things.

Message 12 of 20
Beta Member

I use reusable containers whenever possible.

Message 13 of 20
Beta Member

Yes I go green because whatever helps us as people be better in a healthy way I’m all in for

Message 14 of 20
Square Champion

We reuse our hairbow cards, Most customers don't mind if we take them off they usually throw them away when they get home anyway. Even though hair bow cards doesn't seem like much, but when you are going through 1000+ a week it adds up.

Message 15 of 20
Beta Member

Neat idea!

Message 16 of 20
Square Champion

Where we live it's very much enforced, the government has implemented progressive bans on plastics since mid 2022. Only a small portion of our business is takeaway and we've always used cardboard/wood. The coffee side is problematic and initially the approved product were significantly more expensive.

Our biggest issue is when we do events for tasting (wine and spirits). There really isnt a viable option. We use medical medicine cups for spirits as it's the only thing we've found that's an appropriate size.

Bruce Wilson
Owner | Vigneron | Distiller
Message 17 of 20
Beta Member

One of my employees sent me this info from Surfrider  https://sf.surfrider.org/programs/ocean-friendly-restaurants

He thought they were giving free greenware but it's only if you join their program.  It was super frustrating to learn that the green plastics are just as bad as the regular plastics and can't be composted as they are advertised.  They cost at least 2x the price and all the lids are proprietary so none fit other cups we have.  

I would be interested in using re usable containers and I imagine that most regulars wouldn't have a problem bringing them back for some sort of incentive.  But, does that mean paying a few dollars extra at the time for the container, and how would they be washed to be reused.  

It would be great to see the recyclable and compostable products regulated and less expensive.  I'd also like to see advances in the products with materials like mushroooms for pizza boxes and reusable plastic instead of plastic wrap. 

I use 2 lb ziploc bags for certain things and my new employees are shocked to see that we wash and reuse them.  I'm sure I wouldn't be allowed with the health dept.

Message 18 of 20
Beta Member

We have just started using NOTPLA which is a super sustainable packaging made from seaweed. It's home compostable (most compostable packaging is only compostable industrially, and most of those never get recovered) it's really good quality and competitive. We're really happy with it, and it's on brand for us as a sustainable small business.

Message 19 of 20
Square Champion

I don't operate F&B but one way we have reduced our use of plastic was to reuse solution containers. We purchase gallons of solution that come in a plastic bladder in a cardboard box, then we refill the same plastic solution bottles for our rooms. This keeps us from having to purchase a large amount of individual plastic bottles- 33% less to be exact. All single use products are paper versus plastic and we have switched over to QR codes every chance we can versus having to create more waster with paper that gets thrown away anyways.

UV-Free Tanning Salon Owner, Northern California (Campbell)
Square Champion - Expert
instagram.com/bronzepalms
Message 20 of 20