x
Admin

Do you play music at your business? ๐ŸŽถ

Hey Seller Community! Happy Wednesday โšก๏ธ

This week we're wondering...

Do you play music at your business? ๐ŸŽถ

If so, what kind? Do you use Apple Music or Spotify? Something else? What device do you play it off of? 

Can't wait to learn from you all ๐Ÿง 

Square Logo
Isabelle
Square Champions Program Manager
Message 1 of 102
101 REPLIES 101
Beta Member

Oh and I have three echo dots. Two with clocks and one without. I spread them around the room to create a noise barrier. Doesn't completely take out the outside noise but it helps. 

Message 22 of 102

Most times I have the tv on.Sometimes I play music on

youtube.The videos can be very entertaining 

Message 23 of 102
Beta Member

We have two playlists: weekends are busy and noisy so we play the Beatles and other artists from the British invasion. Weekdays are quieter so we play 1930s and 40s big band music. We use Spotify through the Sonos app, which is loaded on the same iPad that we use for our KDS. 

I'm very interested to see what else people are using! My biggest problem is that the staff often forget to turn the music on when we open or they'll forget to turn it off at close. Because it can be loud behind the counter the staff don't notice the awkward silence in the dining area. If they forget to turn it off then we'll hear from the resident of the apartment above our shop.

Message 24 of 102

Yes.  May be local country radio station, seasonal music, Christian music.  Canโ€™t forget the great summer(beachy tunes!

Message 25 of 102

Yes, we use spotify and make our own playlists or use the mixes they make based off our listening history. Doesnt feel right to walk into a silent retail store lol

Message 26 of 102
Square Champion

We do play music- depending upon who gets to it first we use Spotify and have a bunch of different playlists we love or we do XM Radio

Dina
Co-Owner Amityville Apothecary
www.shopamityvilleapothecary.com
Instagram | TikTok @AmityvilleApothecary

Podcast: Apothecary After Dark (YouTube & Spotify)
Message 27 of 102
Beta Member

I have an Apothecary and Oddities shop. I "old school" it LOL I have an older Stereo system that I have CD's in - current customer favorites are Fleetwood Mac / Top Gun soundtrack and Practical Magic soundtrack. I have an Echo dot but like the vibe of the stereo over it. It's a nice background noise when the shop is quiet!

Message 28 of 102

yes I do.. Oldies and customers love it

Message 29 of 102
Square Champion

Yep!  All-day.  Usually off my iPad with Spotify or if the internet is giving me trouble a pre-saved playlist from my Itunes.  

Doran

Esthetician
Haute Beauty Guide
Message 30 of 102
Beta Member

We use Pandora for Business, which is a subscription service BUT it supposedly covers all of the licensing fees.  It's a pain to set up initially but once it's up and running, it works mostly like the personal pandora platform.

Message 31 of 102

I waffle between Acoustic Alchemy and Soft House depending on my mood.

Stuff with no singing and middle of the road sounding so that annoyance factor is reduced across all age groups or so I hope. spooled off a samsung tablet, 

CBD shop.

Message 32 of 102
Beta Member

We use Sonos at our bakery and connect to Pandora. Pandora is able to filter out explicit music a little better than Apple. Also with Sonos, you can program different stations to play at different times of the day and have the music turn on and off automatically.

Message 33 of 102
Beta Member

Yes we play edm music in our store from Alexa linked to our speaker system 

Message 34 of 102
Square Champion

Yes, we play music in our store.  We use Spotify and we stream it on a Google nest.  I try to have a music theme every day.  

Jacqueline Mull
Owner of Jackie's Uniquely U Boutique
Owner of Uniquely U Anime

Message 35 of 102
Beta Member

Pandora family plan allows 5 different accounts. Use a tablet connect to bluetooth speaker.

Message 36 of 102

We have a sound system and alternate daily Pandora, Amazon, playlist, etc, most sales or positive feedback usual occur from island/reggae and Blues (Stevie Ray Vaughn and similar).  

Message 37 of 102
Square Champion

Great Question! I used to use Cloud Cover Music which worked great. I played it via an app on an Amazon Echo. Some nice channels, although i don't think I could create specific playlists. What I liked most was this service took care of the licensing fees for public performance. I don't know how common it is, but I've heard that businesses can be fined for playing music without a license. Not sure who regulates or patrols this issue; I'd be curious if any businesses have experience with this issue? The fee was reasonable for this (about $18/mo.) and there are also a few other online services like this I tried, but I used Cloud Cover Music for the longest amount of time.

However I currently use another service, and I LOVE it because it doesn't cost me anything per month. And actually, if you use the service enough per month, you can actually earn a gift card! Awesome stuff. Anyway, the service is called Loop TV. If you're a qualified business, you install their wifi enable player to a tv screen where you can select playing music videos from different channels. I even have a scrolling store message I set up. I figured for the cost of my previous service, it only took me about 6 mos. to pay for the tv for the store I use for the Loop TV service. When I began to use it, I figured even if I didn't like the service, I'd stick it out for the time to recoup the money for the new TV. But I liked it so much I've kept using this service.

Charlie
Homestyle Charlie
Handmade Heirloom Ornaments & Charms
Check our links for retail Etsy orders and Wholesale Ordering Info
Message 38 of 102
Beta Member

Depends on where you are from but if you only have music playing over one area such as a massage room then you donโ€™t technically need anything but a paying subscription to play the music. When you are using a system that goes over multiple speakers and rooms then you need to get rights to play certain music. When I opened my massage business I had to look into it to see what rights I needed. I always wondered why places like Massage Envy or Elements choose their playlist. They own the rights to that music plays. No matter how annoying it got. It was franchise that own the rights that allowed the business to play their music. 

Message 39 of 102
Beta Member

I play Spotify off my tablet. I'm a computer repair shop. Customers do not linger. I have two large studio speakers and I blast either EDM, Reggaeton, or Hip-Hop, all based on what I like. My customers love my big speakers, a lot of bass, and some of my older customers love when I'm playing Reggaeton. However, again, usually no one is in the shop, so I just play whatever I want to listen to.

I did recently get a Loop player, which plays music videos or other types of video content for free with ads. I haven't installed it yet because I have to mount the TV that would go on it, but it is a really cool idea. www.loop.tv

Does this question hint that Square is looking to add commercial music management to the point of sales?

Orlando Perrone
Owner
Perrone Technologies: The Computer Shop
www.perronetech.net
Message 40 of 102

I have a playlist on spotify just for my shop that I play quietly at events and while I work. It is mostly indie folk and lofi music to go with the vibe I try to incorporate in my shop!

Message 41 of 102

Spotify on a Sonos system. 

Message 42 of 102