x
Admin

Are you involved in a business trade organization or local business groups?

Hey Seller Community ๐ŸŒŸ 

As we get into the swing of 2023, I'd love to learn...

Are you involved in a business trade organization or local business groups? If you are, what are the benefits for being involved?

Feel free to share some information about the groups you are involved in your replies below! We look forward to reading more about them.

Tra | she/her
Community Engagement Program Manager, Square
Have a burning question to ask in our Question of the Week? Share it with us!
Message 1 of 24
23 REPLIES 23

Well, Iโ€™m meeting with a Chamber of Commerce board member tomorrow 1/18 to talk over requirements to join. Little nervous, but I feel like itโ€™s necessary to survive as a business where Iโ€™m at.

Patrick Meyer
Co-Owner
www.ballygahan.com
Message 22 of 24
Square Champion

We used to be involved in our local chamber of commerce but that became way too toxic of an environment after 2016 as everything became political fights and did not really have anything to do with helping build local businesses.

We are in a national Garden Center group but honestly, that is mostly just paying dues and then you can go to the giant trade show, so it isn't anything worthwhile other than the trade show personally.

We do probably 80% of our buying of supplies through a farm co-op and that is great as they are in this for you so they have unbeatable prices, great knowledge of the industry and are great to bounce ideas off because they have been in the industry and also talk to 100s of people a week so they know the vibe that is going on.

Most of my industry knowledge comes from 2 Facebook groups where Independent Garden Centers share ideas, problems, solutions, and just life stories.   There are people I have never met IRL that I trust because of the knowledge and information they have shared over the last 20 years.  Great to have connections as they also have connections and you never know when you may. need to find a solution and A knows B who knows C and connects you together.

Message 23 of 24
Seller Community Mentor

When we opened our second HVAC business 7 years ago, I joined 7 Chambers around us, in order to get the word out to those communities.  In Montana, travel is essential.  Service companies MUST travel to serve communities.  Montana is a very large state (4th in the nation) and very spread out.  So only people who live in our 7 cities get nearby service.  All others must pay for a company to travel.  Chambers of Commerce are supposed to function in a capacity to promote your business and the economic development of that community.  I do realize that a lot of them don't.  In fact, I'm now only a member in 2 of them because most don't work hard enough at the economic development and/or member promotion.  One of the two that I'm in, is in the largest city near us.  Lots of events to go to and connections to make as well as classes to attend.  The other one, is in another small, neighboring community and I actually sit on the board.  I dropped the Chamber in our town because they only care about their own bank account and how many fundraisers they can hold for themselves.  When I joined, I tried to help them understand how they were failing and where they needed to make changes but they chose not to, so I left.  They have since tried to make some changes but they still aren't being successful.  I am heavily involved in the other one on a monthly basis.

I was also a member of a paid networking group, for over 3 years.  There are a lot of pros and cons to those kinds of groups.  I won't post my specific issues with that group here but you can message me if you'd like more info.  What I will say, is really look at their structure and rules before you buy in, make sure it's a time commitment and a business purchase that will benefit you in the end.

I've only recently joined another group that is nationwide and specific to my business.  I'm just beginning to grow with that group and am working to become a local ambassador with them in my area and a mentor.  I'm also making a trip next week to meet the president of the local chapter for another nationwide group specific to my business, that I think I'd like to join.

Lastly, locally, I'm involved in a women's only group.  It's for both business and encouragement.  I would encourage anyone in business to start googling groups in your area and see what comes up.  You never know what benefit YOU might be to SOMEONE ELSE.

Co-Owner/Business Manager
Arctic Heat
R&C Property Management
Event Planner/Business Trainer
Member - Women in HVACR
Member - Women's Leadership Network, Helena
Message 24 of 24