x

Modifiers vs Options vs Variations

I'm using the basic square POS (not restaurant)... I have introduced salad to my bar offering.  It's about the only food item right now.  

I want to be able to have a "Salad" item, for $6.00.  Then, when the bartender hits this item, I want the bartender to have the ability to "add" a chicken strip for and additional $3.00.  

How can I set this up?  I'm having difficulty in understanding the difference between Modifiers, Options, and Variations.  

Message 1 of 3
1 Verified Answer
Verified Answer

Re: Modifiers vs Options vs Variations

Hey @RDPsBumSteer 

@I definitely agree with @AshleyK - doing using modifiers for this would probably be the best and easiest way to do it! 

You can still track how many of these you do, you just wouldn’t be able to track inventory for these chicken strips. 

If you need to track inventory, then doing a variation called “with chicken strip” for $9 would be the way to do it. 

1 Best Answer
Super Seller Alumni

Best Answer

Hey @RDPsBumSteer 

@I definitely agree with @AshleyK - doing using modifiers for this would probably be the best and easiest way to do it! 

You can still track how many of these you do, you just wouldn’t be able to track inventory for these chicken strips. 

If you need to track inventory, then doing a variation called “with chicken strip” for $9 would be the way to do it. 

Pesso - he/him
Pesso's Ices & Ice Cream
Square Super Seller - I'm here to help!

View Best Answer >

Message 3 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Admin

Hi @RDPsBumSteer! I think the way you do this relies on if you want to track the inventory of the chicken, but if you don't the best way to do this will be to add the "chicken" add on as a modifier. That way, it will only add the $3 charge if requested and you can then copy that modifier set (say it has all the different meat add ons) to other items if you grow your menu further. 

@pessosices I know that you may have some experience in this as well. Do you have any suggestions for this seller? Thank you!

AshleyK
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 2 of 3
Super Seller Alumni

Best Answer

Hey @RDPsBumSteer 

Pesso - he/him
Pesso's Ices & Ice Cream
Square Super Seller - I'm here to help!
Message 3 of 3