x
Square Champion

ON Demand Conditional Discounts

Recently we started taking bookings from Fork/Tripadvisor. They send some customers to get 20% discount on food only.

Now when I need to apply discount, In Square, I go to the item by item and apply 20% discount on each food item on the bill.

This is very time consuming.

Anyone has any idea of doing this in shortest time possible?

I know of rule based discount, but that applies automatically for all the customers. But we want to apply discount only to ones sent by Fork.

Is there something like rule based discount but triggered manually?

Message 1 of 7
1 Best Answer
Square Champion

Best Answer

OK, 

Here is how I achieved it, using Coupon from Marketing (not via Discounts). Might need to subscribe to Marketing.

Based on @Lovewell 's recommendation, Thanks @Lovewell .

1. I created a coupon, (say FORK20) with 20% discount.

2. Added a max limit of £50 - this makes this coupon to be used for dine-in only.

3. Added categories where this coupon applies.

4. When customer arrives, I add this coupon to the table ticket by adding reward-coupon code.

Voila - this works same as needed, 20% discount on food, manually triggered when needed.

However, if you do not have marketing, it might be difficult to achieve from discounts itself.

Another question, can we do something similar for BOGOF discounts, but trigger only when needed? May be I will open a separate thread asking this to avoid confusion.

View Best Answer >

Message 7 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Admin

@namastewatford great question! 

@TCSlaguna@Lovewell@deecee any ideas from your experience?

Max Pete
Community Engagement Program Manager, Square
Square Community
Message 2 of 7
Square Champion

Interesting question. I know we have discount buttons can apply to the entire order, but I do not think Square has a Category Discount option. This would make a great feature request. 

Message 3 of 7
Square Champion

Couple things! Not sure if this will help but PLEASE let us know if we can make it make better sense. 

One way to avoid catching this at the end is when putting in each item scroll to the bottom and add it right then instead of waiting till the end. 

When sending out a couple via email or text you can make that coupon for a specific category so when they redeem it - it only takes off that discount for those categories! 

When we launch different menus we will send out a coupon that’s “20% off any fall drink” and it will automatically take it off 🙂 

Lovewell Tea & Coffee//
Ventura, Ca

https://www.lovewellteaandcoffee.com/
Message 4 of 7
Square Champion

Hi @Lovewell ,

Are you saying that there is a way for you to

1. Create coupons which will offer certain % off from a category only and not from whole menu?

2. Then apply that coupon only for the customer who show that coupon..

if this is possible, may be I can create a generic coupon which gives 20% off from food items (excluding drinks).

and when I get customer come in for dine-in, I simply enter that generic coupon.

But not sure if this is possible. Where and how do you create such category based coupon?

Message 5 of 7
Square Champion

Yes yes and yes! So glad you got it figured out!!! 

Lovewell Tea & Coffee//
Ventura, Ca

https://www.lovewellteaandcoffee.com/
Message 6 of 7
Square Champion

Best Answer

OK, 

Here is how I achieved it, using Coupon from Marketing (not via Discounts). Might need to subscribe to Marketing.

Based on @Lovewell 's recommendation, Thanks @Lovewell .

1. I created a coupon, (say FORK20) with 20% discount.

2. Added a max limit of £50 - this makes this coupon to be used for dine-in only.

3. Added categories where this coupon applies.

4. When customer arrives, I add this coupon to the table ticket by adding reward-coupon code.

Voila - this works same as needed, 20% discount on food, manually triggered when needed.

However, if you do not have marketing, it might be difficult to achieve from discounts itself.

Another question, can we do something similar for BOGOF discounts, but trigger only when needed? May be I will open a separate thread asking this to avoid confusion.

Message 7 of 7