x
Admin

Square Loyalty Q&A: Ask our product team anything about Square Loyalty ๐Ÿค

Hello Seller Community โ€” hope your February is off to a good start!

On Thursday, February 17th, @seiderman (Product Manager) and @cspillane (Product Marketing Manager) hosted a deep dive into the world of loyalty. Together, they answered questions from โ€œHow can I drive more success from my loyalty program?โ€ to โ€œWhat features are on the horizon?โ€ โ€” we want to help you grow your business with Square Loyalty. We'll share a summary of best practices and address the main themes that came up on this day, and mark it as a Best Answer as soon as possible.

A few example questions:

• How can I configure my Square Loyalty program to increase engagement?
  • What's the best way to increase awareness about my loyalty program?
  • If I could do "_______" with Square Loyalty, it would make a big difference for my business.

El_Sancho_2699_TB_01_Medium.jpg

๏œ๏ธ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 1 of 157
1 Best Answer
Square

Best Answer

Hi everyone,

Thanks for taking the time to join the Loyalty Q&A! 

We thoroughly enjoyed the conversations, and hope your questions were answered. Our #1 goal as a product team is to iterate Square Loyalty to better support the needs of your business; thus, sharing your experiences with us make a huge difference in helping our team prioritize the right things โ€” so thank you again! 

In closing, Iโ€™d love to do a quick recap on 3 key themes we saw pop up frequently: 

• Loyalty Promotions: The requests for one-off or recurring promotions (e.g. 2x points during happy hour, 5 bonus points for coming in on X day) were rampant, and weโ€™re excited to share that we have this feature coming to you shortly! In fact, Beta Testing kicked off this week, so please let us know if youโ€™d like to be given early access as a tester. Ultimately, Loyalty Promotions will assist with the following: 

• Driving repeat visits and sales by incentivizing buyers outside of your typical โ€œspend and getโ€ program structure
    • Encouraging specific buyer behaviors
    • Proactively generating business (i.e. driving more traffic to your business on a typically โ€œslowโ€ day)

• Front-of-transaction enrollment, check-in, and reward redemption: A solution is coming in early Spring that will enable your customers to enroll, check-in, and see their current rewards โ€” all in advance of completing the transaction (and without the cashier having to ask for the customer details upfront). Stay tuned as weโ€™ll be sure to announce the launch to all sellers using Square Register/X2, Square for Restaurants, Square for Retail, and Square Appointments!

• Adjusting points balance when a return/exchange is processed: Clarification on this topic came up a handful of times, and Iโ€™m happy to report that Square Loyalty automatically returns the points earned on a transaction when a refund is processed (or adjusts the points balance if an exchange occurs). 

In addition to the Loyalty Promotions Beta that kicked off this week, weโ€™re also looking for sellers to interview around employee-specific tools and reporting for Loyalty. If youโ€™d like to be involved, please reach out to myself or @seiderman.

Again, we appreciate your participation. For the latest updates, keep watch for announcements of new features in Product Updates. 

Ciara Spillane
Sr. Product Marketing Manager, Square
Square Loyalty

View Best Answer >

Message 148 of 157
156 REPLIES 156
Square

Hey @JessPoynter! Long time, no chat. I was going back through some of these questions from our last Q&A (as we're about to run another one next month), and I see I never replied to you here! Sorry about that...

Two things:

1. Unfortunately we only support point accrual and reward redemption display on digital receipts at this time (not paper receipts). 
  2. In a previous comment you mentioned interest in setting up Status Tiers or Membership functionality. We are about to open up Status Tiers to a Beta group for early testing. I gave the coordinator your handle so she can reach out in case you're still interested. Either way, that is a feature we're hoping to roll out in the 2nd half of this year.
Ciara Spillane
Square Loyalty
Message 85 of 157
Beta Member

Count us in for status tier beta as well.  @cspillane 

Take care of yourself and, as life provides, someone else too.
Message 86 of 157
Square

You got it, @Anthem!

Ciara Spillane
Square Loyalty
Message 87 of 157
Beta Member

Me too

Message 88 of 157
Beta Member

Yes, please

Message 89 of 157
Square

@Nolanryan @Tattoochick Added you both to the list to receive info!

Ciara Spillane
Square Loyalty
Message 90 of 157

Have been with Square for about 8 months now and the Loyalty program is a BIG reason I signed up. Was tracking manually before. But I am hating it. It just lets people check out, shows them how many 'points' they have accrued and that's all. I have it set up that when someone reaches 10 points they get a free bath (dog wash). Customers get over that and it never asks if they want to redeem it before their payment goes through. I have called, no one can give me any answers other than send me the steps to redeem the rewards, which we do, and it doesn't work. The ONLY way we can make it work is to first ask them for their phone number and look them up, see where they are with their points and redeem from the customer screen. It is a huge time waster, especially when we are busy. Frustrated that I have been paying monthly for a service that doesn't work properly and not one out of over 10 customer service employees has an answer. 

Message 91 of 157
Square

Hi @ElizabethE ,

I hear you on this one โ€” thatโ€™s frustrating, especially if itโ€™s a primary reason you signed up for Loyalty. Within the current product functionality, we generally recommend having your employees / cashiers ask each customer for their phone number upfront to check their points and reward balance. However, if you're using Square Register, customers should have the option to self check-in and review earned rewards prior to the transaction completion. Mentioned this in my reply to @larissa166, but improving reward redemption across all devices is a constant top of mind for my team and I. Weโ€™re continuing to explore ways of making this an easier process across all types of devices, with or without a customer facing display. 

Message 92 of 157
Beta Member

What are the chances of a scannable badge with integrated scanner inside register or stand alone scanner on the counter for customers to show their badge?

could be a faster way to get regulars connected to their accounts as they arrive. 

Message 93 of 157
Beta Member

We love the program and the data is spot on! But we are running into issues with the check-out portion on the customer end with the customer display.  We normally offer QTY specials and Military Discounts. 

FOR EXAMPLE:  We begin to ring up the customer (who is a loyalty member and a military member), add in their military discount at 10% off, they pay on the customer display with their CC, the payment goes through, then they are asked if they would like to use their rewards discount (15% OFF WHOLE ORDER). They accept the reward without our control. Now we have an issue with the customer receiving a combined discount of 25%!  The biggest problem I have with this is the fact we do not have any control over the transaction at this point it has gone through to the receipt screen on our end.  Our only options are to explain to the customer that we only allow one discount at a time, cancel/refund it and re-ring it or eat the charges! 

We have done everything on our end to try and change this feature but there isn't lock out feature for the customer that works.

Also, please consider adding a lock-out feature that will ONLY ALLOW one discount at a time.

Message 94 of 157
Square

Hi @mdrhoades,

I feel you on this one. Discount stacking (i.e. military coupons in combination with loyalty rewards for the same transaction) is something weโ€™re definitely aware of and working to find a solution to. I wish I had better news for you right this second, but weโ€™ll definitely reach out when we find the right path to resolve this issue.

Ciara Spillane
Square Loyalty
Message 95 of 157
Beta Member

Hi how can I create 1 reward for 1 customer only? A gesture to one specific customer for one specific reason also builds loyalty. This option is possible for groups or single customers who leave a review but not for single customers who have reached out through email or phone, or upon management decision. Thanks! 

Message 96 of 157
Beta Member

@woktowalkmiami after logging into your account you can visit CUSTOMERS then Search for the customer you desire to reward and click their name. From here, the customer info panel will slide in (on the right), scroll down to LOYALTY SUMMARY and click the three dots โ€œโ€ฆโ€ in the top right corner. This will provide the list where you can edit the customers profile to prove them a reward.  

keep those customer feeling good!

Message 97 of 157
Square

Hi @woktowalkmiami,

Appreciate you reaching out, and I completely agree that this is a great way to build customer loyalty.

This functionality is not actually part of Square Loyalty, but you can still create this experience using customer groups: In the Customers section of your Dashboard, create a custom group. Then with Discounts (under Items), create a discount that is only available to the custom group you just created. This is likely the best solution for you.

Alternatively, within Square Loyalty itself, the solution provided by @Anthem below is a good workaround for a one-off instance! 

Ciara Spillane
Square Loyalty
Message 98 of 157

I would like to send an email to my customers who used Square Loyalty on how much they saved here at our business.  Is there a way to access this information and then have a report printed so I may gain some marketing advantage over my competition? 

I would also like to have a way to put a custom amount of "points earned" in a customers account rather than have to put them in at 1000 points at a time.  It would be a great time saver.  

Message 99 of 157
Square

Hi @gouvgolf,

Really like that idea for a marketing campaign. Unfortunately, this is not something weโ€™re able to support today. However, improving Loyalty reporting and furthering integration with Square Marketing is a top priority for the team this year. This is definitely something weโ€™ll look at as we take on this work.

As for your second question, we should be able to unlock this on your account later today. I can reach back out to you and confirm when weโ€™ve rolled out this update.

Message 100 of 157
Super Seller Alumni

I wish we could have a second loyalty program that is like a "punchcard", for example, buy 5 sets of sheets, get one free.

Kamala Allison
Chief "Do Good, Feel Good" Officer
In store: 1528 Pacific Ave, Santa Cruz, CA
Online: www.ShopFybr.com
Message 101 of 157
Square

Hi @shopfybr,

Definitely hear you on the need for multiple programs. Just so I understand the specific needs of your business, what is the second program you're looking to run?

Message 102 of 157
Super Seller Alumni

We sell bamboo apparel and bedding. Our bamboo sheets are amazing and would make great client gifts for real estate agents and other businesses. I'd like to have a rewards program for business customers that would be something like Buy 5 sets of sheets, get 1 free. This way they're incentivized to keep coming back and it is easily managed for us under their customer account. Make sense?

Actually it would be a some kind of gift voucher so their client could choose their sheets color and size in our store or online. 

If you have any other ideas for how we could do this, please let me know!

Kamala Allison
Chief "Do Good, Feel Good" Officer
In store: 1528 Pacific Ave, Santa Cruz, CA
Online: www.ShopFybr.com
Message 103 of 157
Beta Member

Can Square Loyalty run on "auto-pilot" based upon frequency?   Our current loyalty program auto texts a customer with a thank you offer when they sign up.  Then it automatically texts customers with different offers depending upon their frequency of visits.  For example, if not in store in last 30 days, they get a 10% off text to entice them back.  If still not in within 60 days, they another text with a larger offer and so on.....   Also auto texts on birthdays.

We can also set a variety of rewards based upon points that they can see on their app or when in store.   

They just have to enter a phone number at checkout to pull up rewards.

Downside is that this loyalty program does not sync with Square so points are added manually, which is quick and easy at checkout.

Would love to use Square loyalty so curious if Square has the auto-pilot feature that doesn't depend upon me sending a promotion and can be tailored to how heavy a user the customer is.   Thanks!

Message 104 of 157
Square Champion

now this would be awesome!!! I'm here for the reply...but you're definitely onto something here ๐Ÿ™‚

Message 105 of 157