x
Admin

Square Loyalty Q&A: Ask our product team anything about Square Loyalty ๐Ÿค

Hello Seller Community โ€” hope your February is off to a good start!

On Thursday, February 17th, @seiderman (Product Manager) and @cspillane (Product Marketing Manager) hosted a deep dive into the world of loyalty. Together, they answered questions from โ€œHow can I drive more success from my loyalty program?โ€ to โ€œWhat features are on the horizon?โ€ โ€” we want to help you grow your business with Square Loyalty. We'll share a summary of best practices and address the main themes that came up on this day, and mark it as a Best Answer as soon as possible.

A few example questions:

• How can I configure my Square Loyalty program to increase engagement?
  • What's the best way to increase awareness about my loyalty program?
  • If I could do "_______" with Square Loyalty, it would make a big difference for my business.

El_Sancho_2699_TB_01_Medium.jpg

๏œ๏ธ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 1 of 157
1 Best Answer
Square

Best Answer

Hi everyone,

Thanks for taking the time to join the Loyalty Q&A! 

We thoroughly enjoyed the conversations, and hope your questions were answered. Our #1 goal as a product team is to iterate Square Loyalty to better support the needs of your business; thus, sharing your experiences with us make a huge difference in helping our team prioritize the right things โ€” so thank you again! 

In closing, Iโ€™d love to do a quick recap on 3 key themes we saw pop up frequently: 

• Loyalty Promotions: The requests for one-off or recurring promotions (e.g. 2x points during happy hour, 5 bonus points for coming in on X day) were rampant, and weโ€™re excited to share that we have this feature coming to you shortly! In fact, Beta Testing kicked off this week, so please let us know if youโ€™d like to be given early access as a tester. Ultimately, Loyalty Promotions will assist with the following: 

• Driving repeat visits and sales by incentivizing buyers outside of your typical โ€œspend and getโ€ program structure
    • Encouraging specific buyer behaviors
    • Proactively generating business (i.e. driving more traffic to your business on a typically โ€œslowโ€ day)

• Front-of-transaction enrollment, check-in, and reward redemption: A solution is coming in early Spring that will enable your customers to enroll, check-in, and see their current rewards โ€” all in advance of completing the transaction (and without the cashier having to ask for the customer details upfront). Stay tuned as weโ€™ll be sure to announce the launch to all sellers using Square Register/X2, Square for Restaurants, Square for Retail, and Square Appointments!

• Adjusting points balance when a return/exchange is processed: Clarification on this topic came up a handful of times, and Iโ€™m happy to report that Square Loyalty automatically returns the points earned on a transaction when a refund is processed (or adjusts the points balance if an exchange occurs). 

In addition to the Loyalty Promotions Beta that kicked off this week, weโ€™re also looking for sellers to interview around employee-specific tools and reporting for Loyalty. If youโ€™d like to be involved, please reach out to myself or @seiderman.

Again, we appreciate your participation. For the latest updates, keep watch for announcements of new features in Product Updates. 

Ciara Spillane
Sr. Product Marketing Manager, Square
Square Loyalty

View Best Answer >

Message 148 of 157
156 REPLIES 156
Square

Yes!

We're aiming to release this across all Square points of sale. 

Message 127 of 157
Beta Member

Do Loyalty transactions appear on customer receipts? More specifically, if a customer choose a Loyalty reward of a tote bag, will that tote bag redemption show on the receipt? If no, can this be a potential consideration for future updates?

Message 128 of 157
Square

Hi @SustainLA,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. As long as you're sending your customers digital receipts, both point accruals and reward redemptions will be displayed. However, we currently do not support this functionality for our paper receipts.

Hope that helps!

Message 129 of 157
Square Champion

We offer 10% off after 10 stars for every 8.00 in sales, but still, new customers often do not want to give their phone number. Even when I tell them it is safe.

Renรฉ

Life is too short to eat boring cheese.
Message 130 of 157
Square Champion

Love Loyalty

Big one here .... When is loyalty coming to register?

These are more feature reuqests... xxxxx

Could you maybe have a window decal Loyalty scheme with a small square logo at the bottom?

Also could there be a central loyalty cross merchant? like Amex points?

Would it be possible to have the sceen at the end of the sale hang around a bit longer?

Message 131 of 157
Square

Hi @Twiggy,

Good news! We're in the process of adding Loyalty to Square Register in the UK, and expect it launch by early Spring. Happy to follow up once it's fully live.

As for your feature requests, these are all great and something we'll definitely explore going forward. Will keep you all posted!

Message 132 of 157
Beta Member

Hi! We are newish to the Square Loyalty program. Thanks for this opportunity to ask questions and learn more. We are operating with Square Register and Square for Retail. Initially, we started with monetary vouchers as reward options ($5 off, $10off, $50 off). During checkout, any earned monetary reward "pops up" as redeemable on the customer facing screen. So if they have earned a $5 voucher, it shows as an option during checkout. It's a very smooth process and convenient for the customer.

We have since introduced product rewards (16 oz. bottle of soap, tote bags, etc.). Unfortunately, these reward options do not show up during the checkout process. So if a customer has enough points for a $5 voucher and a tote bag, all they see as redeemable is the $5 voucher. 

We have discovered that in order to have the product based rewards appear as redeemable during checkout, they must first be in the cart. So we have to know, or the customer has to know, ahead of time that they have enough points for the tote bag, and then ring in the tote bag... only then can the customer select the tote bag reward option.

This feels clunky and difficult for the customer to understand what their rewards are. We realize they can check what they are eligible for ahead of time, but most don't. I'm just curious... Can product based rewards be visible during the checkout process like the monetary rewards are? This would make the process easier for all. Thanks!

Message 133 of 157
Square

Hi @SustainLA,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. Can definitely understand how the current process is frustrating for you, and your customers. The good news is that weโ€™re in the process of updating this experience for Square for Retail on Square Register. You should see the update come through in early Spring, but I can follow up when weโ€™ve actually rolled it out.

Hope that helps!

Message 134 of 157
Beta Member

Currently, you can exclude/control items that earn loyalty points, but I'd also like the ability to control what loyalty points can be used on.

First example: If we give customers an online bulk discount they can still apply a loyalty reward on top of that to further eat into our product margins. 

Second Example: Shipping fees currently count towards loyalty spend. We give 1 point for every $5 dollars spent, so a customer who spends $15 in shipping earns 3 loyalty points. The problem is we 'discount' our shipping to keep it affordable for customers, so I don't want that margin to be further reduced by earning loyalty rewards on shipping fees or customers being able to apply rewards to shipping fees. Shipping fees are not currently part of the items you can exclude from the loyalty program.

Really, being able to exclude certain fulfillment types from the loyalty program or offer a separate loyalty program for these types of fulfillments methods might be a alternate solution. Shipping and delivery aren't our main business and they have more overhead costs associated with them than B&M sales.

I'm much more intersted in using the loyalty program to drive pickup orders and onsite sales than using it towards shipping and delivery services. We've added these to provide more convience to our customers during the pandemic, but they both have more overhead costs and expense associated with them.

Message 135 of 157
Square

Hi @Heather_H,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. Being able to exclude certain items and/or shipping methods is a request we hear all the time. Easy to see how loyalty points / promotions is a great way to drive traffic to a part of your business, such as pick up orders. While I don't have any specifics I'm able to share now, this is something that's top of mind for the team.  Will definitely keep you updated as we make progress.

Message 136 of 157

I do real estate photography. So, naturally, clients book appts. on their own. What's the point of me having the loyalty program if they're not earning stars everytime they make an order? I'm having to manually enter their stars and it's time consuming. This program shouldn't be exclusive to physical pos. Is there a work around for this? Otherwise, I just have to cancel this program. I really don't want to, Is there something I'm missing in the settings? I've looked all over for the solution where the stars just add themselves to the particular clients account.

Message 137 of 157
Square

Hi @Imag3,

Just want to make sure I understand the issue you're running into. How are your clients currently paying for their Appointments? 

Message 138 of 157

They use my online checkout system via my site. I copied and pasted the link there. So, when they need a photo shoot, they pick a service, put in the listing address and pay for the order. However, the loyalty system isn't integrated into that online check out. Or is it and how do I activate it?

Message 139 of 157
Square Champion

We check ours out on the appointments app

Message 140 of 157

Not an option. My clients are all remote from my location and I travel 100% to their locations later.

Message 141 of 157
Square

Thanks for clarifying @Imag3.

Unfortunately, Loyalty is currently unavailable for Square Online Checkout link transactions. While I donโ€™t have a specific timeline for extending support, these gaps are top of mind for myself and the team. We have a number of initiatives in-flight to help close these gaps in the coming months, so keep an eye out for updates within your Square Dashboard. In the meantime, the best alternative is to use Square Online (website) with an item for your services. Let me know if you have any questions about getting started.

Message 142 of 157

Hi guysโ€ฆ new to the community. Does anyone have any idea on when we can expect to see the Square Loyalty coming to the Square register (for restaurants) in the UK?

November time i was told we should see it roll out at the end of the 1st Q of 2022 but have heard more recently itโ€™s going to be longer than that. 

I was hoping it would a simple update to the systems as I know itโ€™s available on a Square stand (IPad).

We would really love to use square loyalty to keep things all in once place!

Thanks all.

Message 143 of 157
Square

Hey @ThirstyElephant,

Good news! This work is in-progress, and is expected to be rolled out in the UK by early Spring. Happy to reach out as soon as it's rolled out.

Message 144 of 157

Hi!

Thatโ€™s great news, thanks for getting back to me!

If you could keep us posted when itโ€™s due to roll out that would be fab!

Thanks so much.

Message 145 of 157
Beta Member

When a customer signs up for the loyalty program, it only asks for their phone number.  Why doesn't it ask for their name?  We have to go back and apply points from our current program to square but if all it is gathering is their phone number it makes it difficult to do once we are slow.

Message 146 of 157
Square

Hi @Sunflowerrec,

We decided to use phone numbers as the required customer identifier because theyโ€™re unique (unlike a name), easy to remember (unlike a password or login), and you or your customer can easily enter them into the POS in a matter of seconds (speeding up the checkout process).

That being said, it sounds like you have additional steps as you're also taking time to apply points from your current program to Square. I'd love to better understand this process if you could share here. Ultimately, our CS team should be able to assist you in importing your points balances from the other program so you don't have to go through these additional steps in the future. 

Looking forward to learning more!

-Ciara

Ciara Spillane
Sr. Product Marketing Manager, Square
Square Loyalty
Message 147 of 157