x
Admin

Inventory Q&A: Ask our product team anything about Square Inventory ๐Ÿ“Š

Calling all sellers โ€” especially those signed up with Square for Retail and Square for Restaurants. Our product team wants to hear your inventory questions and feedback!

ph200707A_X2b_InSitu_EllieAndMae_Retail_16796_MW_02_UK_Medium.jpg

On Wednesday, May 11th, we were grateful to have Mukta Dhanuka (@Inventory) and her team in our forums to address questions and feedback about Square Inventory. See the thread below for answers to your questions and keep watch for a summary of the top themes discussed.

To learn more about Square Inventory and its features, take a look at our Support Center: Basic Inventory Management

A few example questions:

• What are the best practices that will ensure I'm getting the most out of Square Inventory?
  • What are the latest feature improvements with Square Inventory?
  • If Square Inventory could take care of "_______," it would save me so much time and help me run my business more efficiently.
  • I canโ€™t seem to figure out โ€œ______โ€ or I need help with โ€œ_________โ€.
  • An inventory issue that keeps me up at night is โ€œ____________โ€.
  • I wish Square for Restaurants or Square for Retail would support โ€œ________โ€.

Note: We can't share specific details on our product roadmaps, though this information will be helpful as we continue to make improvements.

๏œ๏ธ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 1 of 267
1 Best Answer
Square

Best Answer

Thank you for every question, feedback and product request. Every discussion thread made this a very engaging and insightful AMA for our team, especially me, as the new Inventory, Product Manager. Your experience and feedback will help us revisit priorities for the product going forward.

We wanted to share a short recap on three themes that came up during inventory AMA event:

1. Bundles/Kits: This stood out as one of the most frequently requested product features. Our team is actively working on incrementally adding this inventory functionality. We will continue to follow up with you to better understand your use-case as we build this.
  2. PO <-> Items Management:  This was another key area of interest that came up often and the overall sentiment was to have a more cohesive workflow as you make purchased items available for sale; and purchase more items from your vendor based on those sales.
  3. Inventory Availability: We hear this loud and clear to have more accurate โ€˜available for saleโ€™ inventory count versus stock you may still have on hand but committed through online orders or invoices. Our team is also actively working on incrementally building this functionality starting with invoices. Please stay tuned for the updates.

Next Steps:

1. Trainings: Our team will set up bite size 30 min live trainings for areas where you may need some help to set up or get used to. Our first session about how to set up and use โ€˜sell by unitsโ€™ will be particularly helpful for current and future Square for Retail Plus subscribers. If you are interested, please submit your contact information here: 

You can also use this form to share if there are any other topics/areas where training might help as you start or continue your Square inventory management journey.
  2. Feature Discovery/Beta: We will closely partner with sellers who have shown interest in product features like kitting/bundling, inventory availability etc. for feedback as we build these functionalities and participation in a product beta rollout.

We are inspired by your diverse businesses and how you want to continue to improve Squareโ€™s products to save you time and make better inventory business decisions that directly affect your brand and cash flow. It was also amazing to see a sense of collaboration and trust, especially experienced sellers helping out other sellers with their experience, within and outside of Square.

For the latest updates on Inventory, visit Product Updates.

Again, thank you for your participation and stay tuned for our next Q&A!

View Best Answer >

Message 266 of 267
266 REPLIES 266
Square

@londontea Thank you for reaching out. It is possible to track item variation sales or other types of inventory adjustments in different units of measure through the same physical stock. This feature is currently available as part of Retail Plus package: https://squareup.com/help/us/en/article/5957-inventory-plus

We are planning to organize a training session on how to get started with sell-by units if you have a Retail Plus subscription. Stay tuned for the details!

Pong Issara Paoluengtong
Product Manager, Square for Restaurants | KDS
Message 211 of 267
Beta Member

I've given the stock conversion feature a try but it hasn't quite solved for my need. Here's my use case: 

I have two locations: Location A and Location B. 

Item X contains two variations with their own SKUs: 100 and 101. 

SKU 100 is sold by the ounce at both locations.

SKU 101 is a 4x conversion of SKU 100 at Location A, and at Location B it is tracked as its own unit (independent of SKU 100). 

As I'm writing this out in more depth I realize that it's probably a big technical challenge for a SKU to be counted as two inventory types, one of which is a conversion of another SKU. So maybe it's not possible, but I'd be thrilled if it could happen. 

Message 212 of 267
Square

Hello @londontea - Thank you for sharing your use-case here.  We would love to speak with you to understand this use-case better and gather more detailed feedback. Would you please DM your contact info and a few time slots that may work for you next week?

Message 213 of 267

Hello,

• I have several issues with square for retail.  One is the inability to bundle individual products into kits.  I own a quilt shop.  We cut several pieces of fabric (different sku's) to put them into one quilt project.  Right now, I sell the pieces of fabric to myself with 100% discount through square pos so that the correct amount is removed from inventory and my COGS is updated.  I then set up a new item (quilt kit) with the COGS set up as the unit price and the selling price is created from that amount.  It is tedious at best and requires spreadsheets to track the costs and amounts used.  I used Lightspeed for many years, but they decided to do away for decimal quantities and that does not work for fabric.  

• I would also like my PO's to be able to receive in decimal quantities since my goods come in fractions of yards.  We can sell in decimal quantities, we can't we buy in decimal quantities.  I have created an item "Yardage Correction" so that I can get my Invoices to balance with my PO's.  I then manually go in an update the actual quantity received.  Bothersome.

• I see that you have changed the Item screen on the POS dashboard.  Bad move.  I have two locations.  I can't just click on the blue stock quantity anymore.  I have to go into "Edit Variations" and then "Manage Stock" to see what each location has.  Takes longer.  Everything is so spread out on the screen, I am constantly scrolling to get to the next field.

• We are trying to figure out how to track Vendor Sales.  When setting up an item that has more than one vendor, Square credits sales to one of them.  Randomly?  I have set the vendors to a specific default vendor, but square will not pull the reports from the default vendor.  Some items show up with "No Vendor" when there is a single vendor attached.  We have to manually go through all the vendor sales to make sure that the correct vendor is being properly paid for the items they brought in.  I am one of the vendors as I have an online square account and a brick and mortar account (location).  In order for me to be paid, I have to export the Vendor Sales reports for myself and several of my distributors and manually color code which are items that I should be paid for.  How should this be done?

• To transfer stock from one location to another, we have to type the item in because we cannot use the barcode scanner on the label created through square.  Sometimes, if we scan it twice it will bring up the item, but then when you scan the next item it puts in the previous item again, which you have to delete and then scan the second item again.  Not efficient to say the least.

• I am running an online business and tracking inventory.  Some of my items have been transferred to my brick and mortar location that I am partners with.  When I transfer stock to the brick and mortar, I cannot sell it in my online shop, because it says it is now out of stock.  In speaking with square online support, he said I could have two or more pick up locations, but only one shipping location.  So I can't ship from my brick and mortar shop?  Even though we each have our own web address?  I am confused on how to handle these issues.

I hope that I can tune into the webinar on May 11.  Maybe one or two questions will be answered.  I am tired of hearing that we are passing this on to our product development team.

Message 214 of 267
Square

Hi @JALS  - Thank you for taking the time to share detailed feedback, really appreciate it. Would you be available for an interview? Please DM me your contact information and a few time slots that may work for you in the next two weeks. 

Message 215 of 267

Hello,

This is Crystal from Just A Little Something or JALS.  I hope this is the way I DM.  My contact info is as follows:  [redacted for seller privacy] (email).  [redacted for seller privacy]  (cell).  I am available most days, nights and weekends.  I am on CST and work very long days.  I am looking forward to hearing from someone that knows a lot about Square and its capabilities now and what is coming in the future.

Message 216 of 267
Square

Hi @JALS - I sent you a DM as I can't read your contact information here. Please reply to the private message and I will set up a call for us to chat.

Message 217 of 267
Beta Member

I would love to see what you are doing for restaurants as not only do I use outside inventory... that I hate but I consult for 4 others and we are looking at what to do

Message 218 of 267
Square

@Archie1 We are working on making improvements for restaurant inventory and would love to connect with you to better understand what your ideal inventory experience on Square looks like. Would you please DM me your contact information so that we can set up a follow up call?

Pong Issara Paoluengtong
Product Manager, Square for Restaurants | KDS
Message 219 of 267
Beta Member

we do a lot of wholesale (around 60% of revenue for us) It's not unlikely to have 10-15 pallets of wine (5400 bottles on the low end) on an invoice each week. having the inventory reduced at the time of payment rather than at the time of invoice creation is an absolute PAIN! is this something that is going to be fixed? 

Message 220 of 267
Square

Hi @zmartin - Our team is actively working on this feature as I am writing this. We will share details about BETA launch soon. Please stay tuned.

Message 221 of 267
Beta Member

I have another question.

Why has adjusting inventory become such a difficult task?
Before it was just one click.
Now we have to go to "receive inventory" Just to adjust inventory.
It doesn't make sense to make something like that more difficult for retailers.

Anyways of having inventory adjustments easier to do with less steps?

Message 222 of 267
Square

@Honeybeard  Thank you for sharing this feedback. Our team is actively working on incrementally improving inventory workflows. We would love to set up a call and gather more feedback as we build this.

Would you please DM me your contact information and a few time slots that may work in the next 2 weeks so that we can set up a follow up call?

Message 223 of 267
Beta Member

I hate the new dashboard. Takes to long to get to the item screen. Please make it simple. Also what size I phone do I need to use dashboard.

Brian Stewart
Message 224 of 267
Square

Hello @whatzup69 - Can you please share more about your experience using items management screen on dashboard? What aspects of the experience do you dislike?

Message 225 of 267
Super Seller Alumni

Would love it if we could automatically notify a customer when a requested out of stock item is back in stock.

Kamala Allison
Chief "Do Good, Feel Good" Officer
In store: 1528 Pacific Ave, Santa Cruz, CA
Online: www.ShopFybr.com
Message 226 of 267
Square

@shopfybr Thank you for sharing your feedback. This feature is currently not planned. In the coming days, our team will evaluate all product requests shared during AMA for backlog refinement.

Message 227 of 267
Beta Member

Is it possible to add an automatically daily resetting inventory to certain items? 
Example: we have fresh pastries each day and every night after close, we have to go in and reset the inventory back for the next day on those pastry items. If we can have this automatically reset each day, it would save SO MUCH time. 

Message 228 of 267
Square

Hi @claritycoffee Thank you for sharing your use-case with us. Our team is actively working on incrementally adding this inventory functionality. Today you can also use the Item Count and Availability feature on Square for Restaurants POS to track item count and reset availability at the end of day.

We would love to set up a call and gather more feedback as we build this into inventory.

Message 229 of 267

Can you please address the issue of bundling? It would be so helpful to be able to bundle a kit, gift basket, or class items and have it reduce the correct inventory with one entry. I have recently been making my own kits, which include up to 20 items in them and have to enter each item when someone checks out. I've seen this topic has been requested for years and know other POS systems offer this. Is there a good work around or are there plans in creating this option. Thank you. 

Message 230 of 267
Square

@carriejensen It is currently not possible to set up an item bundle or kit for sale such that inventory is automatically decremented for each component of the kit when the bundle is sold. Our team is actively working on incrementally adding this inventory functionality. We will follow up with you for research as we build this. Stay tuned for updates. 

Please DM me your contact info and a few time slots that may work you for an interview in the next two weeks.

Message 231 of 267