x
Square Champion

Question of the Week: Thinking about Holiday Sales, Do You Offer Holiday Discounts?

Sure it's only mid-September, but. I just came back from a big show where we purchased a lot of our holiday inventory.. and it has me thinking:

Holiday shopping is synonymous with sale shopping, at least for big box retailers and the like. How do you decide when and how much of a discount to give in order entice customers to shop with you?

I'm curious to hear what you offer your customers/clients.

Dina
Co-Owner Amityville Apothecary
www.shopamityvilleapothecary.com
Instagram | TikTok @AmityvilleApothecary

Podcast: Apothecary After Dark (YouTube & Spotify)
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Square Champion

and.. to answer my own question...

For the past 5 years we've been offering 18%-20% during select days during the holiday season:

Black Friday, Small Business Saturday... a few days closer to the actual holidays as well.. 

Dina
Co-Owner Amityville Apothecary
www.shopamityvilleapothecary.com
Instagram | TikTok @AmityvilleApothecary

Podcast: Apothecary After Dark (YouTube & Spotify)
Message 2 of 6
Seller Community Mentor

I can't really offer any perspective as a business owner because in our line of work, we cannot give discounts for our services.  However, as a customer, a lot of our small business owners around here do special sales with packages of things or ready-made gift baskets.  For me, those are great because I get gifts at a great price.  Those are things I look for, way more often than 20% off sales.

Co-Owner/Business Manager
Arctic Heat
R&C Property Management
Event Planner/Business Trainer
Member - Women in HVACR
Member - Women's Leadership Network, Helena
Message 3 of 6
Square Champion

The only discount I give is usually Black Friday where it's a percentage off every hour.  I usually start with 25% at midnight til 8am, then it goes to down every hour until we're back up to full price.  Now we do have an end of the season sales twice a year.  I don't do a bunch of sales because I don't want to train my customers to only buy on sale.  When we have a markdown, my customers are really surprised and take advantage of the discount, other than that they buy regular price and use our loyalty program.

Jacqueline Mull
Owner of Jackie's Uniquely U Boutique
Owner of Uniquely U Anime

Message 4 of 6
Square Champion

Question of the Week: Thinking about Holiday Sales, Do You Offer Holiday Discounts?

We don't typically offer traditional discounts, but we love to run seasonal promotions during the holidays. For instance, we introduce seasonal pedicures with unique scents and ingredients, paired with complimentary seasonal cocktails to enhance the experience.

We also run promotions like nail art specials where clients can upgrade to a BIAB Manicure from a classic gel manicure and enjoy the added benefit of a discount on the nail art. This way, we focus on creating a festive and elevated experience for our clients, rather than focusing solely on price cuts.

Message 5 of 6
Square Champion

Sometimes we choose to offer an incentive! Purchase this much $$ and receive a "free" (insert cute item) mug, tote, candle etc) 

We do deal days! we also send out little coupons that are like a flash deal. Also love to just go WILD on shop small Saturday. 

We usually have a huge discount box of one offs of merch we've done or items from our marketplace and people always go crazy for it. 

Lovewell Tea & Coffee//
Ventura, Ca

https://www.lovewellteaandcoffee.com/
Message 6 of 6