x
Square Champion

Multiple Locations & Growth

Hi! I just recently opened a second location for my business. Those of you who have multiple locations or launched multiple products, what insight can you share about growth and promotion?

We are slowly growing in our second location (much like our first location) but my expectations are so much higher. I am trying to be rooted in reality, but I am just so excited.

Any insight you can share would be awesome!

UV-Free Tanning Salon Owner, Northern California (Campbell)
Square Champion - Expert
instagram.com/bronzepalms
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Admin

Great question! Tagging some folks in the Community who I believe would have some good insights here!

@Lovewell@robinsonfoods, and @LukeNieuw 

Max Pete
Community Engagement Program Manager, Square
Square Community
Message 2 of 5
Admin

Congratulations on the second location @Bronze_Palms! Not sure if you've watched it already but @Pesso interviewed @lenjobakes a while back about this topic and she shared some great insights 💕

@JTPets I know you just opened a second location recently as well — any words of wisdom for @Bronze_Palms 👀?

Tra | she/her
Community Engagement Program Manager, Square
Have a burning question to ask in our Question of the Week? Share it with us!
Message 3 of 5
Square Champion

Hi! So sorry for taking forever to hope in on the chat here. 

Clearly the growth isn't always perfect because sometimes we can just be in survival mode and anything outside specifically keeping the business going gets a back seat! 

Alright so we opened our second location in may. Our first shop opened May 20, 2020 and our second May 21, 2024 haha. Not sure how that worked out but it did! Our goal was to multiply by year 5. So the growth was organic yet calculated. We tried to implement growth mindsets and put systems in place that lent themselves to growth. Then when the growth came it didn't feel so jarring. 

Now that sounds really nice and like we have it all together but we are learning daily. Our second shop is in a different *very* small town of less than 5k people which is actually the town we live in. It is such a different vibe from our Ventura spot. Ventura is a beach town, chill, everyone is mostly open and kindness seems to come naturally. Our life has basically been in that environment for the last 4 years even though we live somewhere else. But as you know you are in the business at times more than you are at home. 

A space became available in our town and we almost felt morally obligated to open it. Call it God or the universe if that's what you believe but we really felt like we were *supposed* to do this. Like if we didn't who would? So having that goal and mission behind us really was the driving force. 

Now- It has felt like we are having to push so much harder this time around. We are doing well but the customer base is almost not trusting. They aren't used to a space this *nice* So we've had to really earn their trust and just kindly let them know that we are here because we care about this community and desire to be a bright spot in it. We think they deserve somewhere nice to go and feel safe!

All that to say this: 

-We try and remember that just because this time around seems a little harder doesn't mean we will fail. 

-Chances are we felt the same way when we first opened our business but sort of blacked out in the chaos of it. 

- Again- implement tools and systems that make things easier for yourself. Many small businesses don't grow because they are afraid of becoming too *corporate* but those companies grew for a reason. Not that we want to lose our identity but we also need to make sure that the business is functioning properly. 

- Set aside specific hours to do back end stuff. 

- More spaces equal larger team. CHECK IN WITH YOUR TEAM. It's easy for everyone to feel disconnected and lost in the shuffle when you grow. Remember you are still one unit. 

Hopefully that helps. Honestly we are still in the trenches so ask us in 6 months haha 

Lovewell Tea & Coffee//
Ventura, Ca

https://www.lovewellteaandcoffee.com/
Message 4 of 5
Square Champion

@Bronze_Palms additional locations and especially more so if they are managed remotely require a good team in the store, a team you can trust and a team with initiative, energy and drive. Training is also an important aspect, the second location team needs to know what your/the company expectations are at the beginning, from product/service understanding and delivery, to customer service.

Coco Chemistry Ltd
Artisan Chocolatier
www.cocochemistry.co.uk
Message 5 of 5