x
Admin

Christmas Markets: How to Apply to Trade at Market

Christmas markets are a unique opportunity for you to take your business ‘on the road’, meet new customers, and capitalize on the Christmas gift shopping season. 

Let’s be honest, trading at a Christmas market does require a good deal of advance planning. In this post we’re focusing on what you need to apply. 

Credit: www.redbubble.com/people/DaisyLemon/shop#profileCredit: www.redbubble.com/people/DaisyLemon/shop#profile

How to Apply to Trade at a Christmas Market

Deadlines for Christmas markets are creeping up (some have passed) but given the list of requirements for many it’s good to learn now and be ready for next year. 

The application process to become a trader at a market is determined by the organizers - which could be anything from the city/town council to a mall or shopping center. 

Each application process is different (sorry) and often the details are only available on the application form. Not all organizations have the resources to publish an application form online. Some organizers ask for the items below, other will require even more information, in addition to a booking deposit. 

• The business name which will be displayed on the stall.
  • Power requirements, e.g number of sockets you’ll need.
  • Evidence of public (or ‘general’) liability insurance.
  • A full risk assessment.
  • A list of items you will sell at the market.
  • Depending on the regulations in your country, if you’ll be serving food you may need to provide a Food Safety Course Certificate or a Hygiene Rating Certificate.

Before you clear your schedule make sure you check you can meet the requirements for the Christmas markets. Do your research online but don’t hesitate to pick up the phone to find out more information. 

Are you taking a stall at a Christmas market this year? Was it easy to apply?

New to the Community? Join a Seller Group to connect with business owners in your industry.

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Admin

Sellers in the UK might find this new Town Square article useful: Guide to Selling at UK Christmas Markets in 2022. Though the tips about what to sell might be useful no matter where you are!

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Message 2 of 9
Square Champion

We work State Fairs throughout the year, but we finish the season with 3 Holiday markets. The bight one we do is The Southern Christmas Show which is 12 days long. We are in the German village and each booth is like a store. Luckily we don't have to paint the outside ( the event staff handles that), but we do have to decorate for Christmas.
We have to apply for the Markets.

We also carry a 5 million dollar insurance policy.

We also have to give a detailed list of what we sale.

Also allow time for setup, it takes us 5 days to set up this location for 12 days.

I have added a photo of what our store looked like last year.

Message 3 of 9
Admin

Thank you for sharing your experience applying to and attending a holiday market @rtfulk! Your store looks great in the photo - very inviting! 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Message 4 of 9
Square Champion

Thank you, we pour a lot of heart and soul into that setup. 4 of us working for 5 days to set that up.

Message 5 of 9

Every us and we normally applied to trade or market fairs by going to Facebook groups and looking and the groups that happened to be in your town or city. That's just how it's done over here I don't know if it's the same over there.

Message 6 of 9
Admin

Oh, that's good to know @Kelzblogs, thanks for sharing that tip! Would you typically start researching weeks/months in advance or start seeing posts in the groups (seeking vendors) at a particular time of year? 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Message 7 of 9

I definitely try months in advance you don't want to wait weeks good spots fill up fast and you'd hate to be the one missing out on his show that was in your price range as far as table fees and close to you. I usually take ones that are close to me not going more than 20 minutes out of my way I don't drive so my husband drives me to these things. I have currently got myself on two shows I just keep looking at the groups in my area or typing in the search bar every area I live in plus vendor shows or craft fair shows Jingle Bash whatever I think will help me find a show.

Message 8 of 9
Admin

Thank you. I agree it's a good idea too to attend the ones that you can easily travel to. I hope your upcoming shows go really well! 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Message 9 of 9