x
Super Seller

How many Phishing calls do you get a day?

Phishing Frenzy - Drowning in Scam Calls!

Anyone else getting bombarded with phishing calls? We're talking a ridiculous 10-20 calls a day here, all claiming to be from our bank, the IRS / IR, or some tech support company we've never heard of.

We finally resorted to scanning our entire phone line (not ideal!), but surely there's a better way to deal with this. Anyone have any tips or tricks to share? Here's what we've tried so far:

• Blocking numbers: Doesn't work, they just keep spoofing new ones.
  • Not answering unknown numbers: Misses some legitimate calls, though and many professionals or :”famous “ people lawyers etc have withheld numbers.
  • Call Verification Apps: Somewhat helpful, but not foolproof.

We're open to anything at this point! How do you all handle the constant barrage of phishing calls? Let's share some anti-phishing wisdom in the comments!

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Admin

Sorry that you're running into a bunch of phishing calls! I have been noticing an uptick in these too, especially with it being election season here in the states!

Tagging some members @HC_Charlie@spisherbocker, and @Cottingley-Comp in case they have any tips!  

Max Pete
Community Engagement Program Manager, Square
Seller Community
Message 2 of 9
Super Seller

@TwiggyI feel your pain! It's terrible for me, but especially for my personal cell number. I wish I had a good suggestion for you, but I have not found any. I've heard of screening apps, but I don't want another app on my phone and I've heard they may not work well.

I have a Google business number, that I reroute to my Cell phone to answer. There is a feature to enable the caller to "record" their name, and when you answer the call you'll hear their name before you accept the call. But I have this turned off; I think it's not exactly professional and seems like you're screening calls, although I am since there are so many scam calls.

In the U.S. they spoof phone numbers, so even though they look like local numbers for me, I can almost guess it's not a real call. The tell tale sign happens ONLY after I answer. There is a pause and then I hear a beep, and the caller comes on the line. At this point, the damage is done and you've wasted time answering the call.

Message 3 of 9
Super Seller

@HC_Charlie wrote:

@TwiggyI feel your pain! It's terrible for me, but especially for my personal cell number. I wish I had a good suggestion for you, but I have not found any. I've heard of screening apps, but I don't want another app on my phone and I've heard they may not work well.

I have a Google business number, that I reroute to my Cell phone to answer. There is a feature to enable the caller to "record" their name, and when you answer the call you'll hear their name before you accept the call. But I have this turned off; I think it's not exactly professional and seems like you're screening calls, although I am since there are so many scam calls.

In the U.S. they spoof phone numbers, so even though they look like local numbers for me, I can almost guess it's not a real call. The tell tale sign happens ONLY after I answer. There is a pause and then I hear a beep, and the caller comes on the line. At this point, the damage is done and you've wasted time answering the call.

I've ran Google Pixel Phones since the first Pixel dropped, skipping every other or so, depending on the specs.  (I'm never in dire need of the next best, but my business phone gets the hand me down, so usually that's 4 years old when it upgrades). 

Anyways, the stock call screening from Googles AI on the Pixel is pretty **bleep** accurate.  I used to get around 5-10 of these types of calls a day, spoofing local numbers, which before it was hard NOT to answer because it may just be that chance its an actual customer. 

Since they rolled that feature out though, I think maybe 1 if that may seem to find their way through call screening...a month.   

It as so bad a couple years ago, I had to record a voicemail on the business phone, basically telling people to leave a message, and if they don't I will assume they are trying to sell me an extended car warranty and I won't return their phone call.  it's still my business voicemail to this day. 

Dan
Scorpion Coating Plus,LLC
Square Super Seller
Check out Square support center for additional help.
Message 4 of 9
Admin

I feel you on this one, @Twiggy, the struggle is real!

This'll probably only be useful for those in the US, though I've personally had a really good experience with the AT&T ActiveArmor app for stopping unwanted calls/texts. My only issue is that it can be a bit too "protective" sometimes — I realized one day that it decided to block calls to my building's door buzzer, preventing me from allowing guests in. 🙃 Have to periodically adjust settings, but it's worth it overall.

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 5 of 9
Super Seller

Ughhhhh, way too many and it's non stop really! I have a separate number to the store but at times I have to give out my personal cell number smh. I think sometimes it plastered on billboards! Between the no nonsense calls and that extended car warranty type calls 🙄 there's day if you're number isn't programmed in my phone I don't answer it! I have enough messages from customers over the price, size, ect. That takes up 3-4 hrs. 

Message 6 of 9
Super Seller

@Twiggy I think we have been lucky so far with zero by phone, more than enough by email though. I did have one call claiming to be from HMRC re tax, it was on a Saturday and thought there no way, the taxman working the weekend, it must be a scam. I told them to put in in writing as I'm not supplying the info...and two days later a letter arrived from HMRC. Whoops it wasn't a scam! 

Coco Chemistry Ltd
Artisan Chocolatier
www.cocochemistry.co.uk
Message 7 of 9

It's getting so much worse now. Some day I got 3-5 calls. They even automate all the calls, so while we're picking up the phone, it's machine that initiated it.

I can't afford not to answering because there are important calls with unknown number. I just took some time to report the number with ACMA. I think that's the least we all could/should do.

Message 8 of 9
Super Seller

I have over 900 numbers blocked. I can’t show you what we have named the blocked numbers on this platform.  I’m glad it isn’t just me. Years ago they’d say a missed call was a missed sale TBH most sales are now email or DM 

Message 9 of 9