x
Admin

Let's talk farmers markets...

Raise your hand if you regularly sell your products at a local's farmers market 

Let's talk about building relationships with customers at farmers markets. Having that consistent relationship with your local community is so important. How do you engage with shoppers, cultivate repeat business, and encourage customer loyalty at these events? 

I'd love to hear any memorable interactions or customer service practices that have contributed to your success. Maybe we can pick up a few tips and tricks from each other 💜

Message 1 of 28
27 REPLIES 27
Admin

There has been a bit of an explosion in flea markets and local farmer markets where I live in the last couple of years. Every weekend, it seems like there's a market on which is really great to see because it brings people into the city and create a bit of a buzz too. 

Would love to know how your experience has been with these types of markets @JewelleryZombie @InspiredByLee @BLINGZANDTHINGZ @JK_Fiber_Art !

Tra | she/her
Community Engagement Program Manager, Square
Have a burning question to ask in our Question of the Week? Share it with us!
Message 2 of 28

I haven't done any farmers markets yet, but I plan to. 

Message 3 of 28
Admin

Nice! What do you plan on selling there?

Max Pete
Seller Community
Message 4 of 28

I handmake rhinestone "bling" tumblers & candle lids.

1000015871.jpg

Message 5 of 28
Admin

LOVE these! Super fresh 🔥

Max Pete
Seller Community
Message 6 of 28

Thank you

Message 7 of 28
Super Seller

@BLINGZANDTHINGZvery pretty!

Message 8 of 28

Thank you

Message 9 of 28
Super Seller

Great post @LaurenClev Two years ago I spent Saturdays doing our town's local Summer Farmer's Market on the Square. It was great training ground to expand into more frequent retail sales, and eventually into wholesale. Doing these kinds of local markets is a fantastic way to build regular website business, so make sure if you vend locally make sure you have business cards or info to promote any websites and social media you use to sell. My products were art/craft in nature, so it's something that people don't need everyday. But if you were selling food or consumable items, a loyalty or punch card can help repeat and loyal customers.

You may not get a sale from someone who's shopping that day, but if you can get your card (or a cool/fun giveaway pen or something), they'll remember you and potentially shop later. Local market events are also a GREAT way to network with fellow artists/makers/sellers and find out what other events are worthwhile to do.

Message 10 of 28
Admin

Having business cards handy or info about your online presence is a great shout @HC_Charlie! I have a little collection of cards or flyers I have picked up from markets I go to. They are in my gift inspiration folders and are very handy when I'm looking for a birthday present or something to give to a pal!

Tra | she/her
Message 11 of 28

I dont do farmers markets but I do lots of craft markets. The best advice I ever got was stay standing and greet your customers. Ask if they are looking for anything in particular or if you see them looking at something offer some information about it. It just makes you look engaged and interested in your customers.

Message 12 of 28
Super Seller

We actually operate fully out of an indoor year round farmers market. We engage with the customers and offer free delivery to connect with infrequent visitors.

Message 13 of 28

Lucky you that you have an indoor farmers market, we don't get where I live. 

Message 14 of 28
Super Seller

Sadly its run by the city and the overall "pizzazz" has been lost and foot traffic is slowly dwindling

Message 15 of 28
Admin

Urgh, I'm sorry to hear that @JTPets! Has the city been engaging with vendors to help improve the market? 

Tra | she/her
Message 16 of 28
Super Seller

We did 2 Farmers markets for 42 years that all ended in 2020 when they wanted to put up all the crazy rules of no one can touch the produce and they had to point at the items they wanted thru plexiglass.  We weren't some small-time thing either, over the last 5 years, our average day at our Wednesday market was $11, 260.  So there was just no way we were going to be selling 4,000# of tomatoes by people pointing at stuff from 6 feet away.  But anyway, that is all gone and now we are solely a Garden center.
 But, I would say a few key things are consistency, no customer likes coming and their favorite vendor isn't there because it rained or was cold, etc  We missed 0 markets in 42 years and that's through births, funerals, weddings, etc.  Having good products at good prices.  You don't have to be cheap, but you can't be selling crap as then there isn't a reason for them to ever come back.  I don't have any statistics other than knowing almost all the customers, but I would say it was around 80% that are people that are there at least 2-3 weeks of the month.  They kept coming back for the product, I would source tomatoes from Kentucky and other areas that had the product ready before ours and was very good and actually grown by the Amish as an added bonus.  The most important, in my opinion, is to be friendly, nothing says to keep walking past my booth as someone sitting in a lounge chair watching youtube or taking a cat nap.  Engage with them, start off easy with simple hi, how are you, you been here, etc to see how much they want engagment.

Message 17 of 28
Admin

Couldn't agree more with you about being consistent and offering good products at good prices, @VanKalkerFarms! I often go to this one market in the city because I love the veg & fruits vendor there and know they always great seasonal produce. 

When it comes to pricing and products, how do you determine what to sell at farmer's markets and at what prices 👀? Do you ever get feedback from folks about how your prices compared to others? 

Tra | she/her
Message 18 of 28
Super Seller

There was always feedback 🫣.  In general, most commodities have a range that is "normal" in a given area.  I would say we tended to be middle/higher, but to put on a show like the markets we did took 10 people, 4 trucks, a couple of trailers, tents that covered a 40' x 60' spot, and a forklift.  So none of that was cheap, not to mention the day or 2 before of picking, sorting, packing, and in general getting ready.

I would always ask what are we comparing because I knew my sweet corn was less than 24 hours from picking and the other guy may have stuff he was still selling from last week and you could see it was all gross and dried out.  So sure I may lose some sales, but the people came there just for our stand many times and didn't even go to any other place.

https://fb.watch/s1_k8n3Vo2/

Message 19 of 28
Beta Member

Our local farmers market had been out of my reach for a while. I’m still working full-time, but I’m retiring in 18 days. 🙂

It's a large upfront cost, since you have to pay for the entire season.  I would like to do more, but I also balance it with life and doing other things. 

It's a thriving market run by a local group in popular Park. 

For the first time, I participated in the Winter Farmers Market this year. It runs January and February. I typically don’t sell anything until my  first spring event in March. It was tremendously successful. I will definitely do it again in 2025!

I'm hoping it will lead to finally getting into the Holiday market in December. That's very competitive. 

Geek In Stitches, Beta Member
Square Shop
Social Media Hub
Message 20 of 28
Admin

Congrats on retirement!! 

Hope you're able to get in the Holiday market too! You'll have to keep us posted 🙌 

Max Pete
Seller Community
Message 21 of 28