x

Checkout broken again ... 2 weeks before Christmas (!)

Update: Reported via chat to support, was told it would be escalated.

Checkout still works fine in Chrome (some versions at least), but in others (eg. Safari 11, Safari 12, FireFox 47, Internet Explorer 11), one can't get past the first panel where shipping details are entered. Clicking "Next" gives a perpetual spinner. This is new.

The JavaScript console says

TypeError: window.Promise.allSettled is not a function. (In 'window.Promise.allSettled([d,f])', 'window.Promise.allSettled' is undefined)
r — checkout-app.js:18:4619
Unhandled Promise Rejection: undefined

Apparently due to this:

updateOrderWithLatestDeliveryTime: function() {
                var t = this;
                var n = this.get("is_courier_delivery_enabled");
                if (!n || this.isShippingSelected()) {
                    return window.Promise.reject()
                }
                var i = this.get("shipments").findWhere({
                    type: "pickup"
                });
                if (n && i.get("pickup_schedule_type") == "SCHEDULED") {
                    return window.Promise.reject()
                }
                var r = this.get("uuid");
                var o = e.Commerce.RPC.Order.updateOrderWithLatestDeliveryTime(r);
                o.done(function(e) {
                    t.set(e.data.order)
                });
                return o
            },

Initial theory was wrong: "I don't have the Shipping carriers 'upgrade', but presume this is related."

Weebly ... please test more before deploying changes that affect ecommerce!

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13

Update:

Apparently JavaScript's window.promise.allSettled is only available in browsers released since approx. mid 2019. per

https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/JavaScript/Reference/Global_Objects/Promise/allSettled

I estimate that's currently 75% of total users, but since businesses tend to keep computers more current, home computers (such as those used by most of our customers) may be a much smaller percentage... so this combined with the day this started (~Dec. 10) is likely to cause a substantial loss of total annual sales.

Message 15 of 14

According to Google Analytics, between Dec 9 and Dec 25, 2021, the incompatible browsers accessing our two sites were

• 2.55%
  • 2.32%

So, dependng on your conversion rate, a possible loss  up to 2% of this year's holiday sales. Depending on your market, holiday sales may be a large or small part of your annual sales, for us it is significant.

• More than half of those incompatible browsers were Safari < v13 (these are unlikely to be updated as an update probably requires a newer OS and thus possibly hardware).
  • Most of the rest were Chrome < v76 which may be held back intentionally due to privacy concerns.
  • Suprising to see the number of Internet Explorers was about 4% of the number of Edge browsers.
Message 15 of 14

escalated as case # 68046935

If checkout working for more customers is important to you, it may encourage them to fix it quickly if they heard from you.

Message 15 of 14

Summary of the problem:

checkout-app.js includes a line using the JavaScript function "window.Promise.allSettled"

This JavaScript function was introduced to browsers relatively recently (circa mid 2019).

For older browsers (and many are still in use), this function causes checkout to stall when the customer clicks "Next" after entering the shipping info. Their browser doesn't support this function, and they are unable to complete the order.

Message 15 of 14

@VIGB 

Internet Explorer has not recieved any updates in years     thus Weebly is no longer compatable with that browser..  microsoft edge is the new version..

Users need to keep up to date with their browsers.....like buying a car.. u all want the latest model...  check your browsers...

Message 15 of 14

Fair enough that Explorer is now irrelevant.

However, for Safari especially, we'd rather not say "We won't accept your business because your browser is 3 years old"

(Your google analytics shows browser versions - you can see for yourself how many customers this may affect)

Suggestion: If the utilization of Promise.allSettled is exclusively for implementing the real-time shipping feature, then consider

1. Don't perform real-time shipping operations if the weebly account hasn't subscribed to it, and/or
  2. Don't support real-time shipping for older browsers
Message 15 of 14

@VIGB 

this is a sign of the times....  for me personally, i HAVE to buy a new smart phone so i can access my bank through an APP.... i dont want... but needs must

users need to be persuaded by the browser  to UP grade    3 years is a long shelf life these days...

Message 15 of 14

Weebly's official policy is supporting "the last two versions" of a browser

https://www.weebly.com/app/help/us/en/topics/browser-support-faq

Since Apple seems to be releasing a new version of Safari each year, that means 2-3 years of official support (so maybe we've been lucky it has taken this long for a sale-stopping problem).

Many of our customers are older and not on the bleeding edge of technology, so don't upgrade their OS/Hardware regularly. Yes, when a browser no longer works on the web sites important to them, they are likely to upgrade, but our eCommerce sites are hardly a "must have", so it is up to us to cater to making it easy/possible for them to order to get their business.

I suspect that most eCommerce sites would rather be on the trailing edge of that upgrade pressure rather than lose sales to a competitor who will accomodate buyers that aren't so tech savvy.

So if, for example, amazon no longer supports a browser version, then sure, I would not be surprised if Weebly/Square did not either.

However, I am surprised that Weebly/Square has knowingly dropped support for a browser version that still works fine with amazon, banks, etc. In fact, Weebly/Square is the first web platform that I know of to drop support for Safari 12 -- and, as far as I can tell, even Safari 11 works with amazon, etc.

So that's where we are... Weebly/Square policy (both official and unofficial) is to not help us cater to those customers, and so they aren't catering to our desire to be able to sell to those customers. That's their decision to make of course, one can't please everyone, and not everyone is your market. We were once part of the Weebly/Square market, but for better or worse, it is looking like it is time to move on to a more "compatibility conscious" host. I'm sure there are plenty of others to replace us who want the latest features rather than broad compatibility.

ymmv

Message 15 of 14

Also case # 68078283

Message 15 of 14

Has this been fixed? I am seeing in analytics a lot of people unable to get past checkout in the last week and have had no sales. 

Edit: just checked in ie11 and checkout is not working @Adam @Bernadette 

Message 15 of 14

@poetry 

So sorry to hear that; no, as of Dec 19, not yet fixed.

Symptoms of this particular problem is that checkout works fine up to the point where you enter the shipping details. Upon clicking Next, the spinner is perpetual and one doesn't get any farther.

This problem (probably) does not affect these desktop browser versions (or newer):

• Safari 13
  • Chrome 76
  • Edge 79

So if you test with one of those and your checkout still does not work, then suspect a different problem?

Good luck!

Message 15 of 14

Thanks! Hope they can fix it soon Smiley Happy

Message 15 of 14

Advanced support eventually replied with:

"I have passed this information along to our engineers, but because this is related to older browsers that we no longer support, this may not be an issue that they will resolve."

I imagine this is in limbo waiting to see how many customers it affects...

If you can reproduce this issue, and want it fixed, please contact support and ask them to fix it in spite of "not supporting browsers more than 2 versions (~ years) old".

Message 15 of 14