x

Please bring back the option to disable captcha on your forms

As I have a website full of forms, my visitors do not like that captcha. I know it brings security to the web but if I do not want this then what. You have been asked to make it on for all websites but you did on it and removed the option to disable it. Please add this option to disable captcha so that I can regain my website users.
Please help me by making it happen.

Message 1 of 16
1 Best Answer
Square

Best Answer

Hi all! Thanks again for your patience. Google Captcha is now an optional feature and if you wish to add it to your form you will need to toggle it on from the editor. 

View Best Answer >

Message 17 of 16
15 REPLIES 15

I totally agree - give us the option to use or not to use captcha! I've been testing my website, and sometimes I have to go through 4 screens of captcha before it believes I'm a person!!!!!!

Message 4 of 16
Square

Thanks for posting. I'm not sure what can be changed with captcha since it was changed as a security precaution. I have heard that there are some current bugs with it, though. It might be worthwhile to checkin with support to see if you are experiencing a bug or if this is just the way it is expected to work. https://www.weebly.com/app/help/us/en

Message 4 of 16

I absolutely agree. My customers are angry and I'm losing business. I'm angry because they made the change without telling us. Support told me I need to find another forms/survey app that doesn't use captcha. So this means numerous hours rebuilding these pages. This is what happens when a company gets bought out, profit takes priority over customer.

Message 13 of 16
Square

I don't think this change was motivated by trying to make more money. Forms are a frequent target of spammers, and that spam can negatively impact performance and more. 

Message 13 of 16

The person whose idea it was no make all forms CAPTCHA required (even password protected ones?) is obsessed with SPAM. Probably attended a 40-minute SPAM webinar and learned about SPAM related server maintance costs. So decided to launch a full out attack on SPAM. Now, all forms have CAPTCHA, a 'Report this as SPAM' heading on each submitted form and so on. The problem with this 'brillant' approach is that it has unintended consequences for paying customers (as most fly-by-night ideas tend to have). The idea is probably the worst executed corporate idea I have seen in my thirty years in business.

Message 13 of 16
Square

Thanks for the feedback. The team is looking into alternatives and we should be able to update the threads shortly. Appreciate your patience! 

Message 13 of 16

You just need to give us option to turn this off. Must make it necessary for everyone. You can give us a warning before turning this off. Please bring the option to switch captcha off otherwise I will loose all my business and will get in loose just because of you.
Message 13 of 16
Square

Our engineering team is discussing this and may be making some changes. Thank you for your patience!

Message 13 of 16

It appears that recently a feature that used to be an OPTIONAL feature was turned on and made MANDATORY, causing HUGE issues for our website user experience.    I had to have 150 attendees entering info to a contact form today use CAPTCHA, causing HUGE Issues.   Many spent a good 5 minutes trying to get CAPTCHA images to verify ... some longer.    Some tried over 30 times to get it to approve.  PLEASE either make this an OPTION again, or find a better why of verification.   We experienced these issues on mobile, tablet and laptops alike.    VERY DISAPPOINTED, and we pay for the PRO version... yet didn't look like PROs at all to our clients. 
Message 13 of 16

@Bernadette, @Adam

I am more conerned about my privacy and the privacy of my website visitors than I am about spam. And I think there needs to be legal notice included with all forms using Google reCAPTCHA. Somthing on the order of:

"This form uses Google reCAPTCHA and is subject to Google Terms & Pricacy." With links to Google's Terms and Privacy. Google's terms and pricvacy are not the same as the website the form resides on and visitors need to be aware that submitting the form means Google is tracking their behavior on that website. 

I don't think the Weebly tech guy who attended that "spam webinar" and thinks this is a good idea really thought it through. Weebly should have informed everyone ahead of time about the change and the privacy and cookie implications of having Google directly involved as a third-party with their websites. This should have been done before you implemented the change. People need to know that adding the Google CAPTCHA requires changes their own website's pricacy and cookie policies - especially if they're in the EU. 

Google’s new reCAPTCHA has a dark side

The latest version of the bot detector reCaptcha is invisible to users and has spread to more than 650,000 websites. It’s great for security—but not so great for your privacy.

-- Anne 

Message 13 of 16

I will just echo what other Weebly customers have been saying. I went into my websites to do some updating and first I discovered many contact form entries that never made it to my email! Then, I did some text email from my websites and discovered this awful "Captcha" pop-up! I was never notfied about this change! I spent a good part of my day manually emailing potential customers, one by one, through my email to reply to their inquires for my services. 

I would like to disable the "Captcha" pop-up on my forms.

No, I do not want to pay extra for a 3rd party app for a form that was working perfectly well for years. 

If Weebly/Square does not change this ASAP, I like others, will move my websites and my customer's websites to another website platform.

Message 13 of 16

It appears that recently a feature that used to be an OPTIONAL feature was turned on and made MANDATORY, causing HUGE issues for our website user experience.    I had to have 150 attendees entering info to a contact form today use CAPTCHA, causing HUGE Issues.   Many spent a good 5 minutes trying to get CAPTCHA images to verify ... some longer.    Some tried over 30 times to get it to approve.  PLEASE either make this an OPTION again, or find a better why of verification.   We experienced these issues on mobile, tablet and laptops alike.    VERY DISAPPOINTED, and we pay for the PRO version... yet didn't look like PROs at all to our clients. 

Message 17 of 16
Square

Thanks for the feedback. We should have an update for you soon. 

Message 17 of 16
Square

Best Answer

Hi all! Thanks again for your patience. Google Captcha is now an optional feature and if you wish to add it to your form you will need to toggle it on from the editor. 

Message 17 of 16

HOORAY!!!!! Thank you for listening to us!!! My customers have been complaining bigtime!!! THANK YOU!!!

Message 17 of 16