x
Square Champion

Square register sporadically freezes

I just purchased a second square register. In the past week both units sporadically quit operating.

It acts like the keypad button on the menu is being repeatedly selected. It opens the keypad and nothing responds to touch. Holding the power button pops up the reboot and shutdown dialog box very briefly. The dialog box disappears before the is an opportunity to select an options (reboot or shutdown).

The only solution we have found is to pull the plug and reboot. Obviously not the best solution. Especially when the plug is under the desk on a backup power supply.

Message 1 of 20
19 REPLIES 19
Alumni

Hey @MichiganFarmsta - That's strange that both of your units are having issues. Have you already given all of the Register troubleshooting steps a try? It does sound like you've gone through a couple of them.

If you're still experiencing issues, I recommend reaching out to our CS team so that they can make sure that everything on our end checks out or file a bug with the engineers if necessary.

Puka - She/They
Seller Community UX Designer
Message 2 of 20
Square Champion

Nothing in the troubleshooting guide references anythng about a freeze up or how to restart.

Message 3 of 20
Admin

I'm sorry again for the frustration @MichiganFarmsta. If the general troubleshooting steps for Register haven't helped definitely call our CS team.

In the meantime, I'll share your feedback about the information included the troubleshooting article with the correct team here. Thanks for flagging that! 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Message 4 of 20
Square Champion

This seems to be a re-occuring issue.  Last week we square replaced one  of our registers because the chip reader broken.  On the brand new is showing the same freeze up issue.

One time right in the middle of a transaction.   It was not completely frozen, but was running so slow that we were not able to complete the transaction.  I had to stop and restart the machine.  On restart, everything ran completely normal.

Message 5 of 20
Square Community Moderator

It is very strange that this continues to happen to you @MichiganFarmsta

Definitely not what we want to happen in the middle of a payment. 

Is there any way you can record a video of it happening the next time? This is something that sounds like we should escalate over to our Register Engineering team to take a closer look at with you. 

There's a ton of variables at play when it comes to hardware, so having a video example would be a huge help in getting it resolved permanently. 

Message 6 of 20
Square Champion

I have a video, but an unable to post in this thread.

Message 7 of 20
Alumni

Hi @MichiganFarmsta - You have to upload a video to a hosting website like Youtube or Vimeo to post it here. Are you able to do that? Otherwise, you can email it directly to our CS team

Message 8 of 20

Hi,

I'm using Square Register and some of my device(Square Register) has been unpaired for no reason.

I can't log in using my email address or the device code.

image.png

Please advise.

Thank you.

Message 9 of 20
Alumni

@MarketEatery

So sorry for the trouble. Can you perform a factory reset to see if helps? (Note: pending offline payments that haven't been captured will be lost with a factory reset)

Steps are linked in this thread. Let me know how it goes. 

Justin
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 10 of 20

We have two square registers.  They are connected to Internet via Ethernet cable. 

When we start getting several weebly orders at a time, the registers freeze. They then need to be shut down and restarted.

What could be the issue?

Message 11 of 20
Alumni

First, check if there are any available updates in Settings > General > About Register. If the software is up to date on both registers, try a factory reset if there are no pending offline payments waiting to be captured. 

Steps are linked in Puka's post above. 

Justin
Message 12 of 20

Thanks Justin, 

factory reset and software updates checks done several times, it does not help.

Message 13 of 20
Alumni

Eeek, have you reached out to Support about this? @Pupatella They'll be able to file a ticket with Engineering for more in-depth troubleshooting. 

Justin
Message 14 of 20

Yes, I reached out to support, and they put it through to an engineer three times, and no one called me back, and when I call back they say "still looking into it" and then when I call again they say "Your ticket expired"

Message 15 of 20
Alumni

Eek - that's not good. Sounds like a frustrating experience. I'm going to follow up via DM, so check your messages 🙂 @Pupatella

Justin
Message 16 of 20

Was this issue resolved? We are having a similar issue

Message 17 of 20

Hi @Mhofman 👋 Thanks for reaching out! So sorry to hear about your Register freezing up. We would recommend double checking to make sure that your Register is running the most up-to-date version of its software.

Take a look at these helpful troubleshooting steps

Keep me updated!

Joe
Message 18 of 20

Yes, we resolved this!  

We talked to multiple people at Square and only one knew the solution!  We had this problem for months.

The problem was that not all our orders were marked 'Picked-up" and therefore cleared from the system.  Unless the order is marked "picked-up", it will sit forever in the system, slowing down the computer by taking up memory space.  Once we cleared all the orders the problem was gone.  Each day this has to be done.  

Message 19 of 20

Ah, thanks so much for bouncing back here and letting us know where you landed in terms of a resolution, @Pupatella 📈 This is good insight. We appreciate you!

Joe
Message 20 of 20