x

How can i adjust the amount of tip allowed per transaction

Trying to find out how to adjust amount of tip allowed per transaction.  Currently not allowing customers to leave more then the transaction itself. 

Message 1 of 2
1 Best Answer
Square Champion

Best Answer

Hi @Playpen305 You can’t adjust the amount of the tip allowed per transaction.  And I doubt Square will ever allow us to do this.  Here’s why.

MasterCard, Visa, etc, have something called a tip tolerance amount.  In the case of MC it is 25% and for Visa it is 20% (last time I checked).  This tolerance only apply to pre-tip check amounts greater than $25, however.  Anyway, if a tip is more than those tolerances, then the fees (to Square) for that transaction will be increased because the transaction is downgraded to a non-qualified rate.  It’s probably obvious that this means that Square (who charges a flat fee to us and has to eat any excess costs) will be losing money on those transactions, which doesn’t make any business sense on their part.

Having said all of that, there is an exception to this rule.  IF the customer leaves a tip at the time of the transaction (ie - the customer enters the tip on a tip screen, then the tip is considered part of the transaction, not something added later when settling a transaction with the tip from a printed receipt.

I hope that helps.

Chip

If my answer resolves your issue, please take a minute to mark it as Best Answer. That helps people who find this thread in the future.

Piper’s Ice Cream Bar, Covington KY USA
Website
Facebook
Click here to see a list of third-party apps I use to add functionality to my Square account!

जो है सो है

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Square Champion

Best Answer

Hi @Playpen305 You can’t adjust the amount of the tip allowed per transaction.  And I doubt Square will ever allow us to do this.  Here’s why.

MasterCard, Visa, etc, have something called a tip tolerance amount.  In the case of MC it is 25% and for Visa it is 20% (last time I checked).  This tolerance only apply to pre-tip check amounts greater than $25, however.  Anyway, if a tip is more than those tolerances, then the fees (to Square) for that transaction will be increased because the transaction is downgraded to a non-qualified rate.  It’s probably obvious that this means that Square (who charges a flat fee to us and has to eat any excess costs) will be losing money on those transactions, which doesn’t make any business sense on their part.

Having said all of that, there is an exception to this rule.  IF the customer leaves a tip at the time of the transaction (ie - the customer enters the tip on a tip screen, then the tip is considered part of the transaction, not something added later when settling a transaction with the tip from a printed receipt.

I hope that helps.

Chip

If my answer resolves your issue, please take a minute to mark it as Best Answer. That helps people who find this thread in the future.

Piper’s Ice Cream Bar, Covington KY USA
Website
Facebook
Click here to see a list of third-party apps I use to add functionality to my Square account!

जो है सो है
Message 2 of 2