x

Chip reader charge problem

Chip reader only holds a charge for less than a day - on my second one.  Any help?

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Alumni

Sorry for the frustration (two times over now) here!

Battery life can vary depending on usage, but the reader should stay charged through a full day of sales. You can find out more about your battery in our support article and, if you haven't already, check out this troubleshooting article.

One suggestion I have is to pick up our Dock for Square Reader It's relatively inexpensive, keeps your reader charged, and keeps your reader in place. We've heard great feedback about the Dock from other customers.

If those ideas don't work, you'll likely want to get in touch with our team directly. They can work through the aspects of your set-up that may be affecting battery life.

Message 2 of 6
Beta Member

My chip reader has stopped accepting charge and there is no red blinking light. I used a USB line tester to indicate load, but it reads 0.00A load. I have a mobile business, and I may actually use the chip reader 3-5 times per week.
Message 3 of 6
Alumni

That's not what we want to hear, @BusyBee. If you've gone through the troubleshooting process, can you follow these steps?

1. Leave the device plugged into USB and charging for at least 20 minutes (to ensure the reader isn't fully discharged) 
2. While still plugged in and charging, press and hold the button for at least 20 seconds (to ensure that you've reset the hardware)

If the device is still unresponsive, we'll need you to go through the warranty process

Message 4 of 6
Beta Member

It's alive, again! Thanks.
Message 5 of 6
Alumni

Excellent! That's what we like to hear. Can you tell me, was it plugging into the USB or holding the button that brought it back to life?

Message 6 of 6