x

Multiple categories per item still not working

This is still an issue I'm reposting with my own experience -- Kinda ridiculous that we can have multiple categories but I can't bulk update them? I have over 500 items I'm trying to categorize one for reporting/one for website and now cannot.

As of 2024 Square allows for a single reporting category, but you can add an item to as many other categories as you would like.  However, when exporting my item catalog I cannot figure out how to export these alternate categories.  There's a column which shows the reporting category, but that's all.   Am I missing something?  Is there some way to be able to export, and then import the alternate categories for an item?  Seems odd that a catalog export doesn't include all of the info about an item, doesn't it?

Message 1 of 2
1 Best Answer

Best Answer

Response: Multiple categories

It seems you're encountering a limitation with Square's export functionality. While you can assign multiple categories to an item, only the primary "reporting category" is included in the export. Unfortunately, there’s currently no way to export alternate categories.

You can either manually manage these categories in a separate spreadsheet or use Square's API to pull more detailed data if you're familiar with it. Submitting a feature request to Square might also help, as other users have shared similar frustrations.

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 2
1 REPLY 1

Best Answer

Response: Multiple categories

It seems you're encountering a limitation with Square's export functionality. While you can assign multiple categories to an item, only the primary "reporting category" is included in the export. Unfortunately, there’s currently no way to export alternate categories.

You can either manually manage these categories in a separate spreadsheet or use Square's API to pull more detailed data if you're familiar with it. Submitting a feature request to Square might also help, as other users have shared similar frustrations.

Message 2 of 2