x
Beta Member

How can I get a report that shows the different amounts of a split transaction?

Hello! 

I work in a farm stand where we accept EBT. When a customer uses EBT we record it as "other payment type" and add a note. That's worked fine. 

We now have a new program where we'll match a certain amount of money if a customer uses EBT. This often requires a split transaction. In that case, I record each of the split payments as "other payment type," and note one as "EBT" and one as "Match."

The problem is that when I pull the transaction report, it will show it labeled as "EBT, Match" and will only show the total amount recorded, not the two separate amounts. (E.g. the total was $20, $5 was "EBT" and $15 was "Match," but the report just shows EBT, Match, $20.)

I know I can look at the individual transactions to see the two different amounts, but that's a lot of work. Is there a report I can pull that will show the separate amounts of a split transaction? We need those different numbers for our bookkeeping. 

Thanks!

Message 1 of 5
1 Best Answer
Square Champion

Best Answer

@mmanasas ;

What you can do is export your Transactions Csv file and in columns R, S, and T it would show the Other Payment, Other Payment Type and Other Payment Notes.    I know yu said this is alot of work but if you have to put this data into another Program importing it to the other program usually can be done with a csv file.  I was using QBS desktop and was using a third party program for doing that with my sales transactions.  Now since last Friday I have been messing around with another Accounting program and have been figuring out how to set up my excel / csv files to import my data.  Its mostly how the column headers are mapped from Square to the name of the import field in my test accounting package.  

What you could do to quickly get this information you are requesting is download the csv file, then upload it to a google Sheets file. 

The first few times it could take a little bit to figure out which headers row or column each header goes to but once that is figured out it takes 2 minutes to accomplish if that.  The longest time is waiting to download and upload the csv file to Google sheets.

You may want Rows by Date and Transaction or Customer, Columns of Other Payment Types and values Of the Other Payment $ Amount.

Here is a Video showing how to do a Pivot Table in Google Sheets : How to use Pivot Tables in Google Sheets (Tutorial) 

I have used these to find which Items sell the best, My best /worst days of sales and more.

Keith
Owner
Pocono Candle

Mark as Best Answer if this Helped you solve an issue or give it a thumbs up if you like the answer.
Square Support Number 855-700-6000.
Make Sure App and OS is up to date on your Device.

View Best Answer >

Message 3 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Square Champion

@mmanasasYeah, that's one glitch with using the Other Payment Type and not being able to customize those payments.

One idea would be to use a secondary payment type for one of the two splits. I know the "Other Gift Certificate"  and "Check" payment types allow you to close out a tab without processing a card. Perhaps you could use one of those two for the secondary payment?

Ryan Wanner
Golden Pine Coffee Roasters
Colorado Springs, CO, USA

Square Champion: I know stuff.
Beta Tester: I break stuff.
he/him/hey you/coffee guy/whatever.

Happy Selling!
Message 2 of 5
Square Champion

Best Answer

@mmanasas ;

What you can do is export your Transactions Csv file and in columns R, S, and T it would show the Other Payment, Other Payment Type and Other Payment Notes.    I know yu said this is alot of work but if you have to put this data into another Program importing it to the other program usually can be done with a csv file.  I was using QBS desktop and was using a third party program for doing that with my sales transactions.  Now since last Friday I have been messing around with another Accounting program and have been figuring out how to set up my excel / csv files to import my data.  Its mostly how the column headers are mapped from Square to the name of the import field in my test accounting package.  

What you could do to quickly get this information you are requesting is download the csv file, then upload it to a google Sheets file. 

The first few times it could take a little bit to figure out which headers row or column each header goes to but once that is figured out it takes 2 minutes to accomplish if that.  The longest time is waiting to download and upload the csv file to Google sheets.

You may want Rows by Date and Transaction or Customer, Columns of Other Payment Types and values Of the Other Payment $ Amount.

Here is a Video showing how to do a Pivot Table in Google Sheets : How to use Pivot Tables in Google Sheets (Tutorial) 

I have used these to find which Items sell the best, My best /worst days of sales and more.

Keith
Owner
Pocono Candle

Mark as Best Answer if this Helped you solve an issue or give it a thumbs up if you like the answer.
Message 3 of 5
Beta Member

Thanks for your reply!

I did download a transaction report, but if there was a split payment (part EBT and part Match) it only shows the combined amount, not the two separate amounts of the split. That's the data I'm having trouble finding in a fast/easy way. 

Message 4 of 5
Square Champion

@mmanasas ;

Not the Transaction Report but the Transactions CSV files.  There are 3 to choose from.

Transactions csv, Transactions Items csv and Transactions Summary.

Transactions has these headers for columns N-T :

CardCard Entry MethodsCashSquare Gift CardOther TenderOther Tender TypeOther Tender Note

The Items and Summary just give the Total of the purchase, but Items one shows How much each Item was sold for an eth Tax for each item.  

Now Match - I have no idea what that is and EBT may both come under Other for Square Reporting.  I have used the Transactions Detail CSV for showing Split Transactions where someone used Visa Gift Cards and then a Discover Card to pay the remander owed.  Both these showed up in the Transactions CSV file under : 

Card Brand

There it shows Visa, MC, Discovery, AE etc for the card used.  But since Match ? and EBT are not major CC Brands Square may group them as Other types of Payments with no way fo you to see which one is which but see the two different amounts. You still should be able to see the 2 different amounts that were charged to each card.

It may look like Other $10  and Other $15  and then you would have to look at the PAN column to keep track that way.

Keith
Owner
Pocono Candle

Message 5 of 5