x

Barcode issues

I see many mostly older threads posted by people having trouble printing barcodes for one reason or another.

I'm wondering if it's still a struggle to print barcodes nowadays?

Message 1 of 3
1 Best Answer
Square Champion

Best Answer

The biggest issues people run into is wrong printer (not compatible with Square) or wanting to print on labels that their Printer supports but Square does not.  I print all my labels with Barcodes out of Square as my  Labels are not supported by Square and neither are my Label Printers.  Now if you use a Dymo label printer and its software for printing labels, you can imposrt your square catalog as a csv to print from and format for user specific text also.  I use Zebra printers and have setup my on templates for my items and print my own labels coping and pasting the SKU or GTIN into a Barcode font in the Zebra software then save that barcode label as the Item name to print later.  Organization here is KEY to find the Label/Item you want to print the next time. 

Now if you want to print Barcode Labels right from Square I recommend reading the 3 links below to make sure your Printer and Labels are supported, and that you are also using Square for Retail paid version to print labels.  This is where most of the confusion comes from.  Wrong Labels or trying to print a Size label that is not supported by Square but is by the Printer.  Mostly the Barbel Labels for small items.  I think currently Square supports 1 Barbell label and only 1 printer for it.  

5980-compare-square-for-retail-and-square-point-of-sale  <-- Only the paid version supports Printing Barcodes according to this, but all versions Scan barcodes in the SKU field.

6093-create-and-print-bar-code-labels-with-square-for-retail  I also believe you need to print from a Computer not the app on your POS.  Which also confuses people.

The other thing is people think they can print Barcode labels by following the directions below, but these are more for coffee shops putting an Item label on the order for pickup.

6831-how-to-print-item-labels 

You can also use a simple Printer to print on 8.5 x 11 on label sheets from Avery.  Download Barcode fonts, and use a Barcode font for the SKU / GTIN you want to scan.  I did this to test different barcodes to see which worked with Square.  I even used regular printer paper for testing and the barcodes did read on that too when testing.  I do not recommend this for items though.  

Keith
Owner
Pocono Candle

Mark as Best Answer if this Helped you solve an issue or give it a thumbs up if you like the answer.
Square Support Number 855-700-6000.
Make Sure App and OS is up to date on your Device.

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Square Champion

Best Answer

The biggest issues people run into is wrong printer (not compatible with Square) or wanting to print on labels that their Printer supports but Square does not.  I print all my labels with Barcodes out of Square as my  Labels are not supported by Square and neither are my Label Printers.  Now if you use a Dymo label printer and its software for printing labels, you can imposrt your square catalog as a csv to print from and format for user specific text also.  I use Zebra printers and have setup my on templates for my items and print my own labels coping and pasting the SKU or GTIN into a Barcode font in the Zebra software then save that barcode label as the Item name to print later.  Organization here is KEY to find the Label/Item you want to print the next time. 

Now if you want to print Barcode Labels right from Square I recommend reading the 3 links below to make sure your Printer and Labels are supported, and that you are also using Square for Retail paid version to print labels.  This is where most of the confusion comes from.  Wrong Labels or trying to print a Size label that is not supported by Square but is by the Printer.  Mostly the Barbel Labels for small items.  I think currently Square supports 1 Barbell label and only 1 printer for it.  

5980-compare-square-for-retail-and-square-point-of-sale  <-- Only the paid version supports Printing Barcodes according to this, but all versions Scan barcodes in the SKU field.

6093-create-and-print-bar-code-labels-with-square-for-retail  I also believe you need to print from a Computer not the app on your POS.  Which also confuses people.

The other thing is people think they can print Barcode labels by following the directions below, but these are more for coffee shops putting an Item label on the order for pickup.

6831-how-to-print-item-labels 

You can also use a simple Printer to print on 8.5 x 11 on label sheets from Avery.  Download Barcode fonts, and use a Barcode font for the SKU / GTIN you want to scan.  I did this to test different barcodes to see which worked with Square.  I even used regular printer paper for testing and the barcodes did read on that too when testing.  I do not recommend this for items though.  

Keith
Owner
Pocono Candle

Mark as Best Answer if this Helped you solve an issue or give it a thumbs up if you like the answer.
Square Support Number 855-700-6000.
Make Sure App and OS is up to date on your Device.
Message 2 of 3

Thanks for such a comprehensive answer.

Message 3 of 3