x

Why does the “category” on an item now say “1 Category” instead of the actual category name?

Why does the category for an item now say “1 Category” instead of the category name for the item? Very inconvenient. 

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Square Community Moderator

Hello, @CCC2513

Can you please provide a screenshot of what you are seeing on your end, so we can take a closer look with you. 

We will be on the lookout for your response. 

Sayra
Community Moderator, Square // Moderadora de la Comunidad, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Inicie seción y haga clic en Marcar como "Mejor Respuesta" si mi respuesta contesta su pregunta.
Message 2 of 13

 Under Category it used to show the name of the category. 

IMG_2098.png

Message 3 of 13
Square Champion

@CCC2513 ;

Along with what @sayra is asking, where are you seeing this?

Do you have a Category named 1 Category?

I know Square is testing Subcategories which I am testing but never saw 1 Category anywhere.

So yes a Screen Shot of what you are seeing and where you are seeing this would be helpful.  Do you see this on your POS or on the Square Dashboard?

Keith
Owner
Pocono Candle

Mark as Best Answer if this Helped you solve an issue or give it a thumbs up if you like the answer.
Square Support Number 855-700-6000.
Make Sure App and OS is up to date on your Device.
Message 4 of 13

I am so frustrated! I just sent a screenshot  and it doesn’t seem to have gone through. 😡 ok Here it is! 

IMG_2098.png

Message 5 of 13
Beta Member

I noticed it too.
It's strange.
You can have multiple categories on the IPAD. But still 1 category on the dashboard.

That's totally logical and makes perfect sense........................................................................................................................................

Message 6 of 13
Square Champion

@Honeybeard ;

I just did a quick count and I have about 170 Categories on my Dashboard.  So can you show me a screen shot of where you see only 1 Category for your Dashboard?  I am trying to actually replicate this so I can give clearer information to square as to what the issue could be or where it is on the Dashboard since they have so many screens and areas on the dashboard.  

Are you in Items > Categories for example?

Did you select Reports > Category Sales ?

This is why @sayra and I asked for a screen shot because we would like to file a ticket to fix it or explain why this could be happening.

Keith
Owner
Pocono Candle

Mark as Best Answer if this Helped you solve an issue or give it a thumbs up if you like the answer.
Message 7 of 13
Beta Member

I think they are talking about this.20231210_161544.jpg20231210_161553.jpg20231210_161557.jpg

Message 8 of 13

Yes - exactly. The category used to list the name of the category. 

Message 9 of 13
Square Champion

@Honeybeard ;

So the 'Dashboard' you are showing is on a Square App and not the Dashboard on a computer through a web browser?  You are using the Square APP to get this?  I have been trying on my computer with Chrome Browser thinking that was the Square Dashboard in Refrence.  Thank you for the Picture as this helped determine where I need to look.

Square has been updating the Categories in a Beta test I was in to have Parent and Sub Categories.

I believe if you Tap the 1 Category or 4 categories this will list the Category or Categories the Item is in.  I will have to look at this tomorrow when I am at my store.   So far I only have been assigning an Item to one category that might be a sub category and only has 1 main reporting category.  Busy time of the year for candle sales.  

Keith
Owner
Pocono Candle

Message 10 of 13

IMG_2098.png

Message 11 of 13
Square Champion

@CCC2513 ;

Thank you for the Screen shot.  Which Device is that on?  I use Square Beta and on my Android phone On the left where it says Categories mine is listing the Category and on the right I just have '>' not the '1 Category' like you have. See below:

Square Point of Sale Beta.jpg

I also see our screen shots are a little different, wondering if it could be differences in the Hardware..... Andriod, Apple etc or the app itself.   Which app do you use for Square, The black and white Square Icon (Square POS), Green and White Square icon is Square for retail.  My current version is Square 6.32b17 on my Android cell phone which is what gave that screen shot above.

Now my Square POS is at version 6.31 gives the same image as above.  Is your app up to date and on the newest Square release?

Keith
Owner
Pocono Candle

Message 12 of 13
Square Champion

@sayra ;

When I look on the Dashboard on a Computer using Chrome I do not see the 1 Category or 4 Category.  I also do not see that on the Android app on my cell phone.  Now when I am at my Square Stand with the latest update of Square for Retail 6.31 I do see the 1 Category or 4 categories like @CCC2513 and @Honeybeard have posted below.  This is when I am signed into Square for Retail Press More in the bottom Right then Items.... Then search or choose an item that is in a Category.   

I am just confused as to WHY the difference between which Hardware displays this as others do not.   Shouldn't they all display the Items the same way?  I do not use my App to adjust my inventory or look in categories much but this should all be presented the same way to us users.  I also understand that there is testing going on with Categories and this could be why for the difference in these displays. 

Keith
Owner
Pocono Candle

Message 13 of 13